Thread: Question for a Canadian

Question for a Canadian

Can any Canadian explain what is happening in the first play in this clip?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5StUMU0vbc

My guess (just a quick guess reading some info) is two Canadian rules came into play: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp...adian_football

1) Field goals, singles, and touchbacks : "In Canadian football any kick that goes into the end zone is a live ball, except for a successful field goal or if the goalposts are hit while the ball is in flight". [That may explain continued play after the failed field goal].

22) Open-field kick : "Canadian football retains the open-field kick as a legal play, allowing a kick to be taken from anywhere on the field. The open-field kick may be used as a desperation last play by the offense ...". [It then seems to me that possibly then, the ball still live and in play, the opposing team upon recovery opted to drop kick. Then the initial team tried on recovery to drop kick another field goal. When that also failed, ball still live. was then recovered in the end zone for TD].

Was interesting to watch!

PS: Found this video of same play with some explaination by announcers; https://youtu.be/d5BFaykcxGg. Apperently from what they say, once it entered the end zone, they had to get it out by either running it out, or kicking it out, else the other team scores.
    Last edited by rowman; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:00 PM.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.

Just goes to prove that Canadians are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikect1020 View Post
    Just goes to prove that Canadians are crazy.
    lol! My own thoughts when watching it was they may have figured "This game may never sell in Canada unless we make it more like a Rugby match".

Now for real sports. With 48 nations competing, congrats to Canada for taking Silver and the Iroquios Nation for taking Bronze in the World Lacrosse Championship, with USA capturing the Gold.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.

Millennial Club Arghacceptmyname's Avatar
    It's called a rouge (French for red). If you miss a field goal (or punt the ball into the end zone) and the opposing team doesn't get it back out of the end zone, you score 1 point. So in a tie game like that, the other team has to either run it out or kick it out to avoid conceding the single point. If they kick it out and the offence gets it back they have the option of trying to kick it back into the end zone and try for the single again.

All made possible because the end zones are so deep in the CFL.

My first CFL game I ever went to see the Argos lost 39-1. They got the 1 with like 20 seconds to play.

And this is why the CFL failed when they tried to expand into the US.

Millennial Club Arghacceptmyname's Avatar
    Those were some dark days for the CFL, to be sure. But how Canadian is it that you get a point for trying really hard?

We Americans look at it as getting a point for failing.