Thread: Birds irl

Birds irl

Iíve become very interested in birds and thus now have 4 bird feeders and 2 bird baths. Iíve attracted over 8 species, but Iíve also attracted the neighbors cat from 4 houses down. Iíve already found one dead bird. How do I keep the birds safe from this unwanted intruder?

This is a hard one. You don’t want to harm the cat, but your neighbors should be responsible pet owners. Cats that are allowed to roam freely have a much shorter lifespan than their indoor counterparts. We have a not so nice neighbor’s cat that prefers my garden area to it’s own litter box. Luckily one of our automatic sprinklers hits that area perfectly. I can see this area from my favorite space in my house. So a quick run to the control panel and kitty goes running. He is learning to avoid our yard, for the most part.

There are also bird feeders that you can buy that sit atop a slick pole. They are mostly sold as squirrel-proof feeders. This would take care of the feeding part, but if the birds are nesting nearby, I’m sure the cat could find it.

Good luck!
    Level 150
    Achievement 143/144
    Be kind. 🤗

OMG so I have 2 fat squirrels that venture into the tree with some of the bird feeders and at 1st when I only had one feeder I didn’t have it enough out of the way so s/he would stretch their bodies and hang on to the feeder with the front legs and the tree with the back. Well one day s/he reached just a little too far and fell. Thankfully s/he landed on a soft flower bed below, but I still had a good chuckle :X
    I have some territorial mockingbirds that sometimes will chase away the other birds, but thankfully they all get along for the most part��

When my kids were young, we had a bird feeder that hung from a scrub oak tree. We really enjoyed watching them. Then the local masked animal hoodlums (raccoons) started having parties in it at night. I literally caught them swinging from the feeder. That was the end of the feeder. Even now we keep a bird bath out back and the wilder of life around here claims it as their own. I’m just happy that our Sandhill Cranes still find refuge in our yard from the heat under a large tree we have.
    Level 150
    Achievement 143/144
    Be kind. 🤗

I have a motion-activated sprinkler that I got to discourage cats from my yard. It’s not a total success, but it helps. It’s a “rain bird” type that can be placed and adjusted to react to animal size so the birds wouldn’t trigger it. When something moves in the designated range, the sprinkler goes on for about 5 seconds. It’s also recommended to keep herons out of fish ponds and, of course, discourage those masked bandits—but I bet they learn to ignore them.

I’m an indoor cat owner, and struggle with the issue of neighbors who have indoor/outdoor cats and the larger issue of what to do about feral cats’ predation on songbirds.

Farm Level 117 | Town 37 | Achievements 139/144

Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    I have a motion-activated sprinkler that I got to discourage cats from my yard. It’s not a total success, but it helps. It’s a “rain bird” type that can be placed and adjusted to react to animal size so the birds wouldn’t trigger it. When something moves in the designated range, the sprinkler goes on for about 5 seconds. It’s also recommended to keep herons out of fish ponds and, of course, discourage those masked bandits—but I bet they learn to ignore them.

I’m an indoor cat owner, and struggle with the issue of neighbors who have indoor/outdoor cats and the larger issue of what to do about feral cats’ predation on songbirds.
    Since hurricane Irma took out our beautiful oak tree we don’t have the birds as much anymore. We do however have a cat that comes to eat. Our county in their infinite wisdom and with keeping their “no kill”status at the shelter, does a program where they capture stray cats. Neuter/spay them. Clip the ear and return them to whence they came. So we now have a designated outdoor cat. Doesn’t help much with the bird or lizard population here.

My dad swore by putting mothballs out around the areas you don’t want cats. But I think that would run the birds off as well. The motion activated sprinkler sounds like a fantastic idea. I didn’t know they even made them.

Farm level: 227 Silo 11,100 and always full, no really it is full!
    Start date: 01/09/2013
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by Besta are Bestas opinions, ideas and concerns.
    ďI think I have a new favorite notification from HayDay: "Maggie will leave soon". >MasterKilde<

Oh Besta I am so sorry to hear about the damage. In 1989 I was living in Puerto Rico when Hurricane Hugo came through. My window was the 1st to bust. And now I live in a part of the tornado alley and my husband makes fun of me when I go hide in the bathroom when I hear the sirens going off. Needless to say, I am scared of major storms that produce a lot of wind power.

The poor birds have 2 less trees to use since my Nextdoor neighbor cut down a cider bush/tree and then across the street that neighbor cut down a huge 30+ oak tree.

But im love trying to identify all the new birds and get excited when I see new and old faces. I bought The Sibley guide to birds 2nd edition.
    And i did bring up the cat to the neighbor that owns said cat and they are pretty not going to do anything and the husband even told me I should thank said cat@@!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bestajunior View Post
    Since hurricane Irma took out our beautiful oak tree we don’t have the birds as much anymore. We do however have a cat that comes to eat. Our county in their infinite wisdom and with keeping their “no kill”status at the shelter, does a program where they capture stray cats. Neuter/spay them. Clip the ear and return them to whence they came. So we now have a designated outdoor cat. Doesn’t help much with the bird or lizard population here.

My dad swore by putting mothballs out around the areas you don’t want cats. But I think that would run the birds off as well. The motion activated sprinkler sounds like a fantastic idea. I didn’t know they even made them.

They also make all-natural animal repellant sprays (usually for squirrels, raccoons, mice etc.-it won't work on the big guy below tho). I use it to spray the underside of my car hoods to keep the squirrels out of my engine compartment (they can do some major damage to the electrical system as well a chew thru your brake lines). I'd try the motion sensor sprinkler idea. I, too, had never heard of those.

You don't have bears inTN, do you? (they love the feeders)
    Last edited by Tahoe; July 31st, 2018 at 02:32 AM.

Lol, not where I live at. However in my hometown of Two Harbors, MN we do. In fact we had 2 baby brown bears in a tree out back when we lived there. I’m a Navy brat so I’ve moved around a lot. So far everything so going good with the birds. And my dog chases away any cats that stray too close.