Thread: Derby lock in

Trainee

Exclamation Derby lock in

So im very frustrated with players & derby! Our hood has been small, only 2 of us played derby until recently when ive posted for new members, our hood is open most days to find new members...but 9 out 10 times these new members leave during derby!
    What im proposing is when a player is opted in and derby has started it locks them into that hood until the derby is over or if they are kicked, atleast that way it may force these players to pull their weight or gain the hood some points rather than nothing because they have left.

Personally, I don't believe that locking them into the neighborhood and/or derby would be an appropriate feature. Forcing them to pull their weight sounds a bit cruel.

If you leave a neighborhood, there is a period of time you have to wait to join another neighborhood. If you do this quite often, the period of time you have to wait will increase.

My suggestion:
    Maybe during the derby, the time you would have to wait to join another neighborhood if you left, should be longer than if there was no derby. Perhaps ten times the regular time period. Additionally, there could be other penalties.
    Last edited by malcwillis; July 12th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.

Trainee
    I dont see how it is cruel? If they opt in they should be locked in until that derby is over. How is it fair to the rest of the hood who are putting time, effort and diamonds into the derby just to lose because someone cant play properly and commit to a derby for a week, players are purposely screwing up derbys by not completing tasks or leaving etc...that to me is cruel and unfair! And ive saw plenty of players join another hood straight after leaving my hood during derbys so dont know whats up with that as i thought there was a waiting time between joining another hood. There definitly needs to be penalties for this as its becoming a common occurence especially when in the champion league, players just hop from one hood to the next not giving a damn about spoiling the game for others, the rules are clearly stated in the hood description and we even talk to these players who go on to tell us they will do all 320 tasks and be commited so theres no excuse really.

Unfortunately, locking them into your hood will not force them to do tasks...they would just sit in your hood and do nothing if that’s what they want to do. You can’t force people to do anything but it must be so frustrating to have people join and do nothing or leave mid derby. And it’s very difficult to tell who will hood hop, although it seems many people do this without thinking of the damage they do. Have you considered having new people in the hood opted out of the derby for their first week to see if you feel they are a decent player before allowing them to opt in?

Trainee
    We have tried going down the route of opting players out, we also kick anyone who doesnt communicate with us and close the hood the day before derby to prevent players hopping in but since they can just opt back in when ever they feel like we cant always be online just before derby starts to opt them out again, it really is frustrating and the latest player to do this has joined another hood, she left today and has joined another champion league hood within hours of leaving my hood so off she goes to mess up another hoods derby! It doesnt give a good impression of our hood, we have also gained 3 other new members who are commited to the derby but this incident may scare them off.

I said forcing them to pull their weight sounded a bit cruel, quoting Pigglefarm. Not the fact of locking them into the neighborhood.

Our neighborhood also has this problem, as do many others who are dedicated and put in hard work. We put every player new to our neighborhood through a concealed test to see whether they are just here to sabotage our derby or are willing to try their best. But at the end of the day, there is really no way of knowing.

As Minxville said, locking them into the neighborhood wouldn't necessarily change their plans of sabotaging your derby. The only efficient way would be to penalize them, more than appropriately.
    Last edited by malcwillis; July 12th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

Centennial Club
    I think the only way hoods might fight this is if for example the leader would be able to do some more tasks if a player left the NH during derby without doing or accepting ANY task. Still I'm not sure if this would be very fair, but it's the only solution I can find.

I also remember ChristinaRuebush, who suggested, here in the hay day forums, that if a player left the NH during derby, an opted-out player from that hood would have the possibility of opting-in that same derby, in a thread called "Opting a player in if a player leaves the neighbourhood during the derby".

The only way I could see it happen is if the choice as to which opted-out neighbour would join the derby (including the decision of not compensating with any player) would be a leader decision, and this could only happen if the player who left the NH hadn't completed or accepted ANY task.

Thks
    Last edited by Rena9067; July 13th, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigglefarm View Post
    So im very frustrated with players & derby! Our hood has been small, only 2 of us played derby until recently when ive posted for new members, our hood is open most days to find new members...but 9 out 10 times these new members leave during derby!
    What im proposing is when a player is opted in and derby has started it locks them into that hood until the derby is over or if they are kicked, atleast that way it may force these players to pull their weight or gain the hood some points rather than nothing because they have left.
    i don't believe the whole world's out to get you. If (seriously?) 9 out of 10 are leaving, it must be a communication issue.

First, derby opt-in is the default option. Second, a newbie may not realize how seriously you guys are taking the derby. Third, there's only a 24 hour window in the whole week where the derby is not on. Combine the three, you can see how people seem to be out to sabotage you, walking out willy-nilly mid-derby.

If you expect commitment or a certain standard of performance, you should make this clear before each derby. There will still be some idiots who walk out, but by and by you should pick up come good committed neighbours.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin9632 View Post
    i don't believe the whole world's out to get you. If (seriously?) 9 out of 10 are leaving, it must be a communication issue.

First, derby opt-in is the default option. Second, a newbie may not realize how seriously you guys are taking the derby. Third, there's only a 24 hour window in the whole week where the derby is not on. Combine the three, you can see how people seem to be out to sabotage you, walking out willy-nilly mid-derby.

If you expect commitment or a certain standard of performance, you should make this clear before each derby. There will still be some idiots who walk out, but by and by you should pick up come good committed neighbours.

We have the language set to english, if a new player doesnt speak up or they cant talk in english they are kicked before derby starts so they are not the issue, the ones who are communicating and agreeing to our rules are the issue and yes we have a full description to tell anyone joining how we operate and what we expect, we also talk to our new members and again go through the rules stating we take 320 tasks, complete them all, take an extra if needed etc.. also we are only open to level 65 and above meaning these players should have some experience by that level, its not like we are taking in level 10s who are just getting to grips with the game / derby although after this i will be highering the level to join.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Rena9067 View Post
    I think the only way hoods might fight this is if for example the leader would be able to do some more tasks if a player left the NH during derby without doing or accepting ANY task. Still I'm not sure if this would be very fair, but it's the only solution I can find.

I also remember ChristinaRuebush, who suggested, here in the hay day forums, that if a player left the NH during derby, an opted-out player from that hood would have the possibility of opting-in that same derby, in a thread called "Opting a player in if a player leaves the neighbourhood during the derby".

The only way I could see it happen is if the choice as to which opted-out neighbour would join the derby (including the decision of not compensating with any player) would be a leader decision, and this could only happen if the player who left the NH hadn't completed or accepted ANY task.

Thks
    i also saw the same post but dont think it would be fair for others to have to take up the slack and do extra work because of another player. Also the player that left our hood at the time of writing the original post completed one low point task so she had clearly seen the latest update info regarding having to complete atleast one task to gain rewards...

And since ive played supercells clash of clans if i remember correctly when you search a clan war on there the leader / co leader decides who to take into the clan war regardless of if they are opted in or out.. perhaps hayday could take this on board also so we can pick who will be placed into the derby each week, players can still opt in and out but the leader & co leaders get a menu with all members names on of who is in & out of derby and can choose from all the members opted in, this way people can not opt back in like they can now because the leader / co has already chosen players. If a member is opted out but wants to play they will have to communicate so the leader or co can opt them in. Perhaps on monday or an hour before derby starts this locks the chosen players in so hayday can begin its match making search for other hoods. If the leader / co doesnt change these settings at all then it places all those opted in into the next derby regardless. Just a suggestion (which may need some tweeking) i dont understand why players can opt back in when the leader opts them out, bit of a pointless option if they can keep opting back in! Leaders & co leaders need to have more options really, i am co leader of my current hood but have to be opted in to see how many points and tasks each player in derby has, im not fussed about not being able to trash tasks since im not opted in it does not concern me but we should be able to see basic info like that rather than just being able to look at what place we are in.
    Last edited by Pigglefarm; July 16th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.