Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Insinuated swearing

Centennial Club

Insinuated swearing

Ok, so I just now went to the Forum Rules and Polices sub-forum, and read the thread on the top, not one of the stickies (actually I don't know why I hadn't already read it...I read the stickies, but not the others...).

It says simulated or insinuated swearing is treated just like swearing, therefore being considered an infraction that may result in warnings, bannings or other action.

And now I'm really worried... I think I have done it once, but I'm not sure if it qualifies:
    I wrote the word 'duck' instead of the actual swear word, and I'm panicking... pls someone tell me if I should be expecting something from SC staff or anything... I don't want to get banned😭😭😭

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rena9067 View Post
    Ok, so I just now went to the Forum Rules and Polices sub-forum, and read the thread on the top, not one of the stickies (actually I don't know why I hadn't already read it...I read the stickies, but not the others...).

It says simulated or insinuated swearing is treated just like swearing, therefore being considered an infraction that may result in warnings, bannings or other action.

And now I'm really worried... I think I have done it once, but I'm not sure if it qualifies:
    I wrote the word 'duck' instead of the actual swear word, and I'm panicking... pls someone tell me if I should be expecting something from SC staff or anything... I don't want to get banned
    The thread you are talking about is here: https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...ctual-Swearing

The forum is expected to be family-friendly, so it's best not to stray into using words that might offend. It's also wise to bear in mind that some words can be taboo in some countries but considered less offensive in others. I can think of one that an American might use that would result in an awkward stunned silence if used in the UK!

A good rule of thumb can be "would I say that in front of granny or small children?"

Of course, if a word or words that you have typed is changed to hearts by the automatic censor it is a signal to you that the word is unacceptable on the forum. The correct course of action is to edit the post to remove that word.

It's usually the case that you can express your frustration or annoyance without resorting to swearing - whether implied or otherwise. Inserting asterisks or other symbols in order to dodge the automatic censor is always frowned on, and may result in a warning or infraction.

Oh, and I've edited out your duck!
    Last edited by Cowslips; July 11th, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    The sticky you are talking about is here: https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...ctual-Swearing

The forum is expected to be family-friendly, so it's best not to stray into using words that might offend. It's also wise to bear in mind that some words can be taboo in some countries but considered less offensive in others. I can think of one that an American might use that would result in an awkward stunned silence if used in the UK!

A good rule of thumb can be "would I say that in front of granny or small children?"

Of course, if a word or words that you have typed is changed to hearts by the automatic censor it is a signal to you that the word is unacceptable on the forum. The correct course of action is to edit the post to remove that word.

It's usually the case that you can express your frustration or annoyance without resorting to swearing - whether implied or otherwise. Inserting asterisks or other symbols in order to dodge the automatic censor is always frowned on, and may result in a warning or infraction.

Oh, and I've edited out your duck!
    Thanks Cowslips! It IS best to allways play safe and not say anything that could cause trouble.

And thanks for editing it out...haha you rock

I find the word censor often finds innocent phrases sometimes oftenwithembedded spaces and stars them ... things like stakes and mallets where the 's and m' is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rena9067 View Post
    Thanks Cowslips! It IS best to allways play safe and not say anything that could cause trouble.

And thanks for editing it out...haha you rock
    I can understand possible swear words being edited, but what about innocent things....like....I have 4 extra stakes...and the extra is bleeped out. Or exciting....that’s always bleeped too.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderRay View Post
    I can understand possible swear words being edited, but what about innocent things....like....I have 4 extra stakes...and the extra is bleeped out. Or exciting....that’s always bleeped too.
    Try mentioning Susan's ex-boyfriend ingame. Or talk about a hilarious example of something. There's surprisingly many things that end up having those three letters in a row.

Actually, there's quite a lot of 100% harmless things you can say and it SOMEHOW will form SOME word that gets automatically censored ingame. I have actually learned quite a few swear-words and insults that way that I have never ever heard before; often in some other languages even (like, even languages that probably only a small percentage of players actually speak)! Urbandictionary is a great help in that regard, lol. And that even AFTER Supercell's anti-bullying video where they've claimed that they are currently testing a new and improved filter in Hay Day, which shouldn't end up censoring bucketloads of absolutely normal phrases anymore.

I really wish we would have an option to disable that filter. It doesn't actually do anything meaningful, is highly annoying with the bucketloads of false positives that you sometimes get, and often is actually counter-productive.
    Last edited by xSaturnx; July 14th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.