Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV series

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcfc View Post
    Just thought of one I really enjoyed - Firefly
    I remember setting my VCR for "Firefly" because of the following four reasons, Morena Baccarin, Summer Glau, Gina Torres, and Jewel Staite. OK, I like eye candy.

I'm surprised that no one has recommended "Downton Abbey", the international hit from Great Britain. I know it's popular in the United States because another character in a popular American sitcom alluded to it by remarking that he needed to take a nap after watching the British import because the characters in it are exhausting.

Indeed, I burst out laughing when Lord Grantham, played by Hugh Bonneville, was upset because he needed to wear a white jacket instead of a black jacket to dinner because it was being laundered. His daughter commented on his inappropriate attire at the dinner table. Oh, the horror!

BTW, kudos to me for spelling Grantham correctly on the first try.

I'd like to recommend "Lost Girl", a Canadian series about a succubus trying to control her superhuman powers and survive in a world of humans without feeding on them. I stumbled onto LG while surfing Youtube a few years ago, so I hope it's still available. Good luck.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; 2 Days Ago at 09:44 PM. Reason: astrocious misspelling of Downtown Abbey
    Lynn, 6-19-18, clasher and farmer but not boomer and brawler

Happy Forum Anniversary to Mod Cowslips
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...6#post11749026

Millennial Club
    Lynne - you just made me think if another one set in Canada “lone star” British cop takes over as town sheriff in remote Canada and it all turns nasty.

Agree totally on Downton
    I think you’ll find that all of us Brits have the daily conundrum of black or white jacket to dress for dinner though. The staff expect certain standards!
    Steve
    Leader JT Legend #J2JOLG2
    Broken the mystical 100 champions league golds “Team first, my barn is your barn”
    recruitment ad https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...d-team-players

Centennial Club
    Guys your suggestions are awesome, I'm already adding them to my TV Time list, and also wanted to say that I also started Secret City - an australian 6 episode long show - and The Americans - a show where a russian spy couple is trying to get the upper hand on the americans during Raegan's time, in the midst of the infamous cold war, and I think it might be one of the best if not the best I've seen so far.

Also my brother is seeing Shooter and he says its nice.

Sry if its not written midst... Ive only delt with that word orally...

Thks

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcfc View Post
    ...Agree totally on Downton
    I think you’ll find that all of us Brits have the daily conundrum of black or white jacket to dress for dinner though. The staff expect certain standards!
    Steve, I know you're kidding but I witnessed it first hand while on an Alaskan cruise about a few years before the airing of "Downton Abbey" in the United States.

The cruise line had a formal dress code for passengers having dinner in the Main dining room scheduled on the third night of the cruise. Informal dress code was permissible on the other five nights. I was prepared for the formal occasion and brought along a dark sports coat, dress shirt, dress pants, conservative tie, and dress shoes. Since there weren't enough tables, my small party of three must share a table with a couple. When I saw the gentleman, I immediately felt under-dressed because he was wearing a tuxedo and his wife was wearing an evening gown.

During the dinner, I learned that the couple was vacationing from England. The gentleman said the dress code was too lax because the diners didn't look formal enough for his tastes. I wanted to ask him to assess my attire but bit my tongue instead. He ate his dinner with his jacket on while I took it off and put it behind my chair. I was tempted to take off my tie to see his reaction. The couple turned out to be good conversationalists and we enjoyed our dinner. It's interesting to note that they ordered cheese for dessert. Fascinating.

I'd like to recommend "Are You Being Served?", a British sitcom which became a hit in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. I was stunned when I watched it on PBS in the 1980's because such innuendos and double entendres didn't exist on any Amercian sitcom at the time.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; 2 Days Ago at 07:02 AM.
    Lynn, 6-19-18, clasher and farmer but not boomer and brawler

Happy Forum Anniversary to Mod Cowslips
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...6#post11749026