Thread: What does the 50:50 win/lose ratio actually mean?

What does the 50:50 win/lose ratio actually mean?

So I constantly hear about the 50:50 ratio that "builder base is designed like this"....and it got me wondering, what does this truly mean? So does it mean when you win a bit too much, builder base AI decides to just throw you a wrench and make you get a one star to keep this ratio? Does it match you up with tougher opponents purposely when you win more than lose? Does it even go as far to nerf your attack/troops to the point we don't notice to keep this ratio?

All things I wondered when people throw around the 50:50 win/lose ratio. And trust me, I do notice and wrote about how one set of attacks I will get people getting 80% 2 stars and then another day I get 55% one stars against my base (same trophy level).

I know my ideas I threw around seem crazy and hypothetical....but then how does it maintain the 50:50. It it simply statistics that it balances out like that? What is the actual explanation when people say "builder base is designed for a 50:50 ratio"...HOW?

i think people mean...if you win more than 50/50 you go higher in trophies. Higher trophies people will tend to be more of a challenge and you will tend to lose more.....by the time you get to your 'correct' number of trophies it will be because you are winning as much as losing, ie 50%.

edit: obviously on a day by day basis you can still have fluctuations, even week by week, as the sample size is small.
    Last edited by Rooke; June 13th, 2018 at 07:58 AM.

Banned
    The complete sentence should be
    Winning Losing Ratio of 50:50 from a considerable number of battles during a considerable period of time based on your progress and skills

Say for example, if you gem your base a little bit (maybe give you 10K gems), it will directly grants you better progress against players at your current trophy range. Now if you would do the versus battle, you will easily win (as they are not able to get 2 or 3 stars against your base) and thus easily climb in trophies. Until a point where you are having Winning Losing ratio of 50:50. That's where you should be based on your progress and skill.

Another example is if you would take 1 month of rest from Builder Base. That leaves you behind by 1 month worth of loot against players at your trophy range. When you go to the versus battle, you will keep losing and thus drop trophies. Until a point where your Winning Losing ratio is 50:50. That's where you should be based on your progress and skill.

Generally, that's the best ratio any PVP system could have. If you are making a system where your winning losing ratio is 80:20 from number of battles during a period of time, then at the same time another player would have winning losing ratio of 20:80. That would be unbalanced and broken.
    Last edited by SilverX; June 13th, 2018 at 09:45 AM.

I'll add that the 50/50 win ratio is part of the game's design because every single winner has to have a matching single loser who is also online, so as Silver said, if someone is significantly above a 50% win rate, someone else is significantly below it (which would suck, and is why the system is designed (and works) the way it is).

One interesting caveat to this is those over 4000 cups as the system drops us to 4k ever month and I rise back up to 4800( for me anyway) or so every month I know I am winning around 25 more matches than I am losing every month and there must be a group of people that lose this same amount and are stuck just below 4000 and get dumped on every month when the reset happens.

Forum Hero
    It means you kind of hit a point in trophies where you win half your matches because you are theoretically against similar bases as yours in the same trophy range.

As you get stronger offense/defense/attacking skill/base design you will in theory have a small window where you rise in trophies until you level out to 50/50 win/loss.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sbauer9 View Post
    One interesting caveat to this is those over 4000 cups as the system drops us to 4k ever month and I rise back up to 4800( for me anyway) or so every month I know I am winning around 25 more matches than I am losing every month and there must be a group of people that lose this same amount and are stuck just below 4000 and get dumped on every month when the reset happens.
    Which is so insignificant to suggest the ratio is broken.

For example if on average you will need 5 attacks to get your 3 wins, you will need 150 attacks per month.

Now you are saying you will have 25 more wins than loses every month. So that means your winning losing number of battles during a month is 87-88 wins and 62-63 loses.

You winning ratio would be 87/150 = 58%
    Your losing ratio would be 63/150 = 42%
    Winning losing ratio is 58:42
    Which is still close to 50:50 and not significantly above or below to suggest it is broken.

And keep in mind the calculation I did is if you average 5 attacks per day, which sometimes we do require more attacks when we can't get the 3 wins, or even sometimes if we are pushing and attacks more but still can't climb. It means the ratio should be closer to 50:50 if you use more attacks than 5 attacks per day.
    Last edited by SilverX; June 13th, 2018 at 11:26 PM.

for my case, my account will get a row of straight win toward 5k range border when my duel loot is not active. when my duel loot go lives, i will be keep losing all the way back to/below 4.8k border. This has been what I frustrate about.
    Last edited by ChongCheeLeong; June 14th, 2018 at 12:33 AM.

Being a player at around 4900-5200 at the seasons end and with close to max defenses, my theory is it is just statistics. Sort of like the "bell curve" in college. No matter what, you should always get an even distribution of grades. I don't see stronger defenses etc.. being such a big factor as it very similar and the skill level per opponent is the same (when I compare max trophies, this is how I base this).

Higher trophies being a bigger challenge? ...not quite from what I have noticed in my case. Attacks on my base seem to be somewhat consistent, but there is the odd day where I get 3-4 attacks where they get an oddly high percentage in a row. Then it goes back to normal. I could write about all the things I noticed in a long long post but I can see SILVER's point where you win 3 and lose 2....so you will go up in trophies slowly while keeping a close to 50:50, that makes sense to me

a.k.a the win loss ratio nerf 😋