Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Forum function idea

Forum function idea

Not sure if this has already been suggested or ruled out, but I think that users should be able to close the threads that they create. This could provide benefits such as:

1. A thread is getting toxic, the OP has the ability to close it. That's all, not dishing out comment deletion or anything.
    2. The thread is old and outdated? Close.
    3. The thread isn't going anywhere, close.
    4. Question answered? Closed.
    5. Signature shop out of biz? Close.

And many more I could list. This would also provide some relief to moderators who already have to deal with spam bots and people who don't read the forum rules.

And, just because you can lock your own thead doesn't mean you have power to police the forum. That's the mods job. Just a simple QOL addition that could make the life on the forums a lot easier.

Click here for a surprise!

I play video games.
    My favorite games: Fortnite, COD, Clash of Clans.
    #SaveRoyale.

Vbulletin does have a group setting to allow for this, a list of group settings: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...p_modformperms. Note that the default for "Can open / close own threads" is No, so assume this site is using the factory defaults mainly.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.

Good idea. Why not: currently an OP (or any one else) has to contact a mod to do such.
    With such change, any one can contact a mod to re-open a thread if unreasonably closed - well, I wonder why such would happen.
    (I assume OP can re-open own threads, based on the vB parameters shown by rowman )

Resulting could be less to handle for mods, but maybe more threads created overall... Well, unless mods merge/re-open newer threads adding to the discussion.

PS @rowman: are these parameters valid also for vB 4.2 - the site shows vB5?

Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    PS @rowman: are these parameters valid also for vB 4.2 - the site shows vB5?
    In the upper left of the below link, you can select which Vbulletin version you want to see the documentation for, then select subject. Per the document for Version 4.2.5 linked page, the answer is yes. Select subject User Groups and Permissions, then Managing Forum Permissions.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=40205500
    Last edited by rowman; May 17th, 2018 at 06:07 PM.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainfeeb View Post
    Not sure if this has already been suggested or ruled out, but I think that users should be able to close the threads that they create. This could provide benefits such as:

1. A thread is getting toxic, the OP has the ability to close it. That's all, not dishing out comment deletion or anything.
    2. The thread is old and outdated? Close.
    3. The thread isn't going anywhere, close.
    4. Question answered? Closed.
    5. Signature shop out of biz? Close.

And many more I could list. This would also provide some relief to moderators who already have to deal with spam bots and people who don't read the forum rules.

And, just because you can lock your own thead doesn't mean you have power to police the forum. That's the mods job. Just a simple QOL addition that could make the life on the forums a lot easier.
    I appreciate the consideration, but I don't think it'd work as well as you might think. I'm sure we have lots of forum members who can responsibly close out their own threads, but I'd bet for every one of them, there are 29,000 others who wouldn't. The threads that should be closed most often IMO are those from a single post member who has never come back to clarify their original post or to provide those pictures that they claim to have but have never bothered to post. "Telling me this what is now clan castle hero about with boost expire? I don't know how to post pictures." It's fairly uncommon for a member to come back and say "Thanks. That's the answer I needed.", but I'll sometimes close them when they do. Lastly, I have seen threads where the OP did get the answer they were looking for, but others had similar questions, needed further clarification or had a different opinion. If the OP had closed the thread, none of the other members would have had a chance to chime in and it would lead to more threads on the same topic.

For now, the best thing to do is to report your thread and ask to have it closed. Although we don't remove posts by request (ie, delete it so no one can see it), we have closed lots of them - especially when it comes to signature shops and recruitment threads that no longer apply. Just don't ask to have someone else's thread closed, unless it's filled with rules violations, because we probably won't do that.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 16 - 608 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Fan Content Policy

Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    In the upper left of the below link, you can select which Vbulletin version you want to see the documentation for, then select subject. Per the document for Version 4.2.5 linked page, the answer is yes. Select subject User Groups and Permissions, then Managing Forum Permissions.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=40205500
    Cool - Thanks for the reference
    And also thanks Sharky for the explanation.

I do like the idea. I've participated in forums where users could close their own threads, but it was a much smaller community and easier to keep track of. I go back and forth on whether or not it would be good here. More tools is more responsibility, and you have to be considerate with such a big group like this.
    Cloud Control - Why are clouds so terrible, and what are the possible ways to get rid of them?

I don’t know, I’ve gotten in a lot of good discussions with thread creators but when they lost a debate, they get triggered and act like I’m bullying them or something for expressing my opinion. It seems a little wimpy tbh, if something really gets out of hand a mod can close it.

Plus, I feel like people just out up threads with wild opinions and close it, just to troll. (Actually kind of cool haha )
    The only thing I desire in life is for Lach to accept my friend request