Results 1 to 10 of 10

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why is this on the forums?

  1. #1
    Senior Member lotharofhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    A house
    Posts
    288

    Why is this on the forums?

    As I was browsing the forums, I noticed something in the corner of my screen. I downloaded this app called BitDefender TrafficLight, which shows if certain websites are safe and who is tracking you. I found as I was browsing clash of clans posts, I noticed that there was a Facebook Tracker. You mods should consider adding more security to the forums because Facebook is basically tracking everything we post.

    EDIT: I don't even have a facebook account.
    Last edited by lotharofhill; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 PM.
    Leader of Heropikkle, level 5 clan
    #CVQVJYCC
    Recruiting th7+

  2. #2
    rowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Visiting Mei Xiang and Tian Tian
    Posts
    8,067
    As with any programs, one must always question the False Positives, that is, detections that they illicit which are not actually invasions. I am not saying such apps are not providing value and security, but they do commonly have some false alarms. Worst yet, they all tend to also have some False Negatives, situations they miss that are of concern.

    Reality is that all public sites are monitored and tracked by outside enties, Google Bots for example extract information from all public sites, including this one.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.


  3. #3
    Forum Superstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    As with any programs, one must always question the False Positives, that is, detections that they illicit which are not actually invasions. I am not saying such apps are not providing value and security, but they do commonly have some false alarms. Worst yet, they all tend to also have some False Negatives, situations they miss that are of concern.

    Reality is that all public sites are monitored and tracked by outside enties, Google Bots for example extract information from all public sites, including this one.
    Are you saying this is a false positive?

  4. #4
    rowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Visiting Mei Xiang and Tian Tian
    Posts
    8,067
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindHaze View Post
    Are you saying this is a false positive?
    No, I am not. Without knowing what criteria they use, have no way of assessing that. I am just noting that all such programs are known to have some level of False Positives and False Negatives, which is why they constantly upgrade as they learn.

    I did quickly go off and do some research on the product and from what I read is that it apparently outright blocks a malicious site. It does not seem to be doing that in this particular case reported, but more of throwing up a caution flag of a potential threat. If that is true (maybe someone who uses it can answer), there is a major difference between actual and potential flags.
    Last edited by rowman; 1 Week Ago at 05:32 PM.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.


  5. #5
    Forum Superstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    No, I am not. Without knowing what criteria they use, have no way of assessing that. I am just noting that all such programs are known to have some level of False Positives and False Negatives, which is why they constantly upgrade as they learn.
    I think it may be prudent to show concern for forumer’s privacy rather than assuming it may be nothing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lotharofhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    A house
    Posts
    288
    I made this thread because I was concerned about how much privacy forumers actually have when they create and post threads. It is mainly to spread awareness that someone/something at Facebook is tracking everything we do on this site, regardless if we have an account or not. I did some research and found that Facebook tracks you on many other websites and from browsing other sites I have found this to be true. I could see this program messing up with something like a random person tracking you, but spotting a Facebook tracker seems pretty easy these days considering they are on many sites.
    Leader of Heropikkle, level 5 clan
    #CVQVJYCC
    Recruiting th7+

  7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lotharofhill View Post
    I made this thread because I was concerned about how much privacy forumers actually have when they create and post threads. It is mainly to spread awareness that someone/something at Facebook is tracking everything we do on this site, regardless if we have an account or not. I did some research and found that Facebook tracks you on many other websites and from browsing other sites I have found this to be true. I could see this program messing up with something like a random person tracking you, but spotting a Facebook tracker seems pretty easy these days considering they are on many sites.
    Firstly, I don't know why you think mods might be able to add security to the site.

    But even if we could, what exactly would you have us add?

    It is a public site. Anybody can see all posts in all the public forums. Which is how we want it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  8. #8
    Senior Member lotharofhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    A house
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Firstly, I don't know why you think mods might be able to add security to the site.

    But even if we could, what exactly would you have us add?

    It is a public site. Anybody can see all posts in all the public forums. Which is how we want it to be.
    I meant admins, staff, SOMEBODY that can add code to the website. You can add different things that can block trackers, like Facebook and various analytic trackers (comScore and Google). This thread was a request to improve the security but also to spread awareness.
    Leader of Heropikkle, level 5 clan
    #CVQVJYCC
    Recruiting th7+

  9. #9
    Tomville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,275
    Quote Originally Posted by lotharofhill View Post
    I meant admins, staff, SOMEBODY that can add code to the website. You can add different things that can block trackers, like Facebook and various analytic trackers (comScore and Google). This thread was a request to improve the security but also to spread awareness.
    The forum runs on an out of the box version of vbulletin with very few plugins, so far as I know, and is intended to be simple and low maintenance in that way. In that it’s like many web forums. It is a public place where only members can post but anyone can read. In that context the idea of security seems odd, beyond the security of the member’s own accounts.
    Last edited by Tomville; 1 Week Ago at 05:29 AM.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 15 International clan
    We welcome strong TH10 and TH11 adult players with big heros for fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Active builder base, and must know where the donate button is!

  10. #10
    Forum Superstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,979
    It is worth remembering how much information SC has about us. Tick the ones below that apply:-

    Mobile/cell number - did anyone ask for a SMS notification for the BB update? I did and it never arrived....

    Facebook - have you connected your village to your Facebook account? Do you follow CoC on Facebook?

    Email - well they’ve got my email address when I registered to the forums. And also the ones I used to attach to my 2 SC IDs.

    Instagram - there was a competition last year where you had to add #buildersomething. If you did that, SC knows players’ Instagram accounts.

    I don’t suggest that SC is doing anything nefarious, however I think it’s a good general indication of how much personal information we’re happy to hand over. Perhaps less scrupulous companies would take advantage of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •