Thread: Preventing resurrection of dead threads.

Preventing resurrection of dead threads.

Hi, I have a suggestion to prevent resurrection of old threads(most dead threads become misleading after resurrection) :
    Automatically close any thread that doesn't receive any replies for X days.
    Last edited by asddib; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clashsmash24
    No they took way more then what they should of. Iím sitting at -51k and I should have -38k. Money grabbing is what I call it.

Forum Superstar
    Well thatíd be my QMT knackered.

Limits like fear are often just an illusion
    Necroing may not be as cut and dry. Necroing is when you bring a post that has been long dead back to the front page.
    It may not always be bad.

Unacceptable Use
    Necroing a post from three years ago just to say "Lol 10char" or otherwise not adding anything to the original conversation. Most of the time, conversations die for a reason. Many Necro threads I've seen that falls under this category is replying to a year old complain thread, say for example complaining about Zapping, just to say "Lol, this was fixed in the last update, derp!" as if that means anything to the two year old thread.

Acceptable Use
    Using the search function, you find a post that may be a few months old but is relevant to a question or concern you have. You reply to said thread adding relevant discussion that would continue the conversation and get new perspective from newer users. How old is too old? That's like asking how hot is too hot for bath water. Each person would have their own tolerance level. It depends on the topic and how relevant the new information is being posted.

Your idea of automatically closing any old thread may cause those who necro old threads for right reasons to suffer.
    Let the mods decide when a thread is too old to close.

Cheers
    /rak

I have suggested this in a similar thread some time last year I think. A mod replied in the thread that this feature is not available to automatically lock each thread after a certain period of time. For this to actually happen, it would require mods to go through each and every thread and manually lock it which is understandably unreasonable.

I even had a proper solution to "proper necroing" - you could simply copy and paste the URL to the closed thread and continue any further discussion in the new thread.

Good suggestion though OP
    I finally figured out how to edit my signature. You DON'T click on "my profile." Just click on settings. Weird.