Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody still use the Max Attack? (TH9)

Does anybody still use the Max Attack? (TH9)

I can't remember the last time I saw (or used) the Max Attack in war!
    Has base design changed that much that the Max attack just isn't efficient anymore, or is it just that there are more effective TH9 war strategies in 2018?

We often see fads in TH9 War strategy overtime such as HGHB, variant Witch attacks, or more recently Falcon.

If base designs change to counter more modern strategies, is there still room for some of the old favourites, like the Max Attack?

For those unsure about what the 'Max Attack' is, I've linked a couple of historical videos on the subject :-

ClashHeads (Sep 2015) :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwKL9M93KAQ

Matty (Oct 2015) :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQu1xMO4Png

Typically, the Max attack consisted of a 4EQ,Rage,Heal spell combination, all used on a kill squad followed by a laloon clean up.
    Later, other variants of this attack used Hogs instead of Loons, but the strategy was quite simplistic in terms of key objectives of the kill squad, ie CC, AQ and Air defences (Loon variant).

The Max Attack was not a high skill set TH9 war strategy (in my opinion), but was regarded as OP in it's time.
    I used to love using it when my own main account was TH9!

So the question is , are old and loved attack strategies such as the Max attack still viable today on some bases?
    I'd love to hear any feedback on whether you still see the Max attack or other 'outdated' strategies! HoLo anybody?

P.S. Its Friday!!!!!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 12 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...H8-s-to-TH11-s My spec: mid TH11, 50/47/20

Quote Originally Posted by Skrags View Post
    Has base design changed that much that the Max attack just isn't efficient anymore, or is it just that there are more effective TH9 war strategies in 2018?

We often see fads in TH9 War strategy overtime such as HGHB, variant Witch attacks, or more recently Falcon.

If base designs change to counter more modern strategies, is there still room for some of the old favourites, like the Max Attack?

For those unsure about what the 'Max Attack' is, I've linked a couple of historical videos on the subject :-

Typically, the Max attack consisted of a 4EQ,Rage,Heal spell combination, all used on a kill squad followed by a laloon clean up.
    Later, other variants of this attack used Hogs instead of Loons, but the strategy was quite simplistic in terms of key objectives of the kill squad, ie CC, AQ and Air defences (Loon variant).

The Max Attack was not a high skill set TH9 war strategy (in my opinion), but was regarded as OP in it's time.

So the question is , are old and loved attack strategies such as the Max attack still viable today on some bases?
    I'd love to hear any feedback on whether you still see the Max attack or other 'outdated' strategies! HoLo anybody?

P.S. Its Friday!!!!!
    I have a max th9 that is a war account. I tend to use a witch slap, goviz with 3 golems and 18 wizards, or a govaho with an opening queen walk. All are highly effective for different bases. The goviz is great for 2 star rush attacks against th10's just grabbing the 50% mark but little more. Others are still using a laloon on specific bases.

I don't get on with laloon myself, and would love to use your dragon queen walk attack, but it's so hard on all but specific bases but gives that sense of achievement when it works.
    Last edited by NacMac; May 11th, 2018 at 08:48 AM.

P.S. Its Friday!!!!!
    I rarely see anyone use quake anymore but I do see the same attack, only with a bowler CC and a jump followed by laloon or hogs.

First outdated strategy that comes to mind is gowipe, haven't seen that in ages.

Thanks skrags! I will have a bash with Max Attack. I sometimes use a AQ walk into laloon if with AQ walk I can get cc and AQ and an AD or two, when it works, it works very well, when I get over excited and muck up the laloon portion or drop AQ then it is a dissaster zone

Generally I find myself, like NacMac using gowiva to reach up to TH10s for a solid 2 star, hitting TH9s I vary a lot. AQ walk goboho, laloon, hghb (or giboho as I prefer to call it so noobs get some idea what is what, after all you don't drop the healers first do you? nor the bowlers last? hghb - daft name), witch slap when I really can't see a guaranteed 3 star and fancy some spam , just did a straight gohobo this morning. What I love about TH9 is the variety that is possible. Why not add it Max Attack? I will surely try. I too am unsure about quad quake though, and now there are bowlers for the cc, well, I guess I am saying Max Attack for 2018 might not be Max Attack from 2015, more like gobolaloon ... but still, the idea is the same?!!?

I have seen gowipe make a small come back if you are enjoying old school attacks ...
    Last edited by nobeone; May 11th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nobeone

I have seen gowipe make a small come back if you are enjoying old school attacks ...
    I have wondered about gowipe coming back hard. Level 4 pekkas at th9, and the teslas no longer destroy them quite so well.
    Last edited by NacMac; May 11th, 2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorJohnson View Post
    I rarely see anyone use quake anymore but I do see the same attack, only with a bowler CC and a jump followed by laloon or hogs.

Me neither. It may just be that Bowlers (TH9 CC, or TH10/11 troops) have effectively negated the use of Earthquake spells somewhat!
    Certainly there used to be a mass of complaints about 'lvl 1 Quake spells destroying my lovely lava walls' posts here on the forum, but we just don't see them anymore, which suggests that the use of Quake spells has lessened dramatically compared to 'the old days'.

Regarding Gowipe, and especially the lvl 4 availability and diluted Tesla damage (as Nacmac suggested), I'm a little surprised it isn't being used more too these days!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 12 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...H8-s-to-TH11-s My spec: mid TH11, 50/47/20

Regarding Gowipe, and especially the lvl 4 availability and diluted Tesla damage (as Nacmac suggested), I'm a little surprised it isn't being used more too these days!
    I never got to grips with gowipe. Used to have a clan member that could clear max 9's with the old tesla damage. Would love to see him back again to see what happens.

Gowipe is so old school it was before bomb towers no? I still think of it as a 2 star strategy but perhaps that is just the people I see use it. You are right on paper it seems to have a big buff since it was last in popular useage, but then that was before bomb towers, and geared up cannon and archer towers ... so perhaps that paper advantage isn't there after all ... I have not upgraded my pekka to lvl 4 so ... I won't be finding out any time soon.

Never really called it max attack. Always golaloon, with the addition of cc bowlers, as compared to then.

But sometimes its fun to throw a logowipe together and remember the good old days. Was a pretty big fan of knightly gaming back in the day, the founder of crystal warrior if anyone remembers. Found out after tbe fact that he was quite the tool as a clan mate.

I think base layout trends definitely play a role, remember when people made huge deadzones in their bases so attackers started using golem avalanche or whatever that was called I haven't seen anyone doing such attack in a long time

M4x attack I assume can still ' easily ' triple anti-2 bases but it'll struggle on newer bases with asymmetric AD positioning / loon traps
    Clash of Clans: TH12 59/56/20 | any other TH I probably have a base

Clash Royale: Probably more posts than wins. Why my posts still count if the forum was deleted?