Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is a new TH considered a .5?

When is a new TH considered a .5?

This is for the war forum masses, all opinions welcome. Iíve been a believer in offense before defense when upping to a new TH level for a while now. Canít really say Iím looking for an advantage but I need to hold my own in wars. Donít get me wrong, Iíd happily take an advantage but Iím more concerned with not being a liability more than gaining an advantage. I figure that makes me a little dirty but nowhere near filthy which would keep me firmly in the ĎI upgrade sensiblyí crowd which helps me sleep at night.

Anyway, is this an organic type thing? Iím near the top of our war roster so itís fairly easy to see the effects my base has on a match. So is it something that will show up when my balance tilts to offensively lopsided enough that the MM will start consistently feeding me Inferno bases?

Some of my setup info- Just went TH10 from fully maxed 9.

Have upgraded
    Spell factory, Lab, CC, 2 army camps.
    Teslas, most Giant bombs, added The new Giant bomb and Skelly trap
    Heal and Jump
    Golem, Wiz, Valk

Queen 32 King 30

Have added no new defenses not mentioned.

I ask because of the numerous mentions Iíve seen here of .5ís being risky business in war matches, and Iím hoping to find a baseline for when and/or how to stay fairly balanced as to not be a liability in wars... if possible.

Pro Member
    I would call you a .5 now, to be honest. You have extra spell, a war army, and camps half done. On defence you have added low weight items only.
    To be fair, it doesn't really matter. I do camps, spell factory, lab, before anything else anyway. Like you, I think if you push the button, may as well have bigger toys. On defence I like to upgrade point before adding extra, and only get the new walls early days. I feel a single account doesn't really affect things too much, if the roster was balanced anyway. A bigger base used as an anchor may be noticeable, but since you had fully maxed anyway, the MM is not necessarily going to pay too much attention. Maybe if the heroes keep growing, but if you have spun, and not noticed the difference, then they are not being as strict as some suggest.
    Keep the roster balanced, and not everyone go .5, and I don't tend to see a significant change, before the defences start to catch up. We war at lighter weights, so would expect to see it more, if an increase was evident. Don't know about heavy rosters tho.

Forum Veteran
    I wouldn’t be worried about the mm considering you a 9.5. If it does you should match against a similar base. The question you should be asking is when does the mm consider my 9.5 a full Th10. I would think you are not there yet.

Pretty much immediately IMO (and we're just throwing around opinions here, to my knowledge no official SC source has indicated even the slightest awareness of .5s). Prior to war, EVERYBODY dropped the big defense really quick after updating TH. Then war was introduced, and everybody kept dropping the big defense really quickly after upgrading TH.
    Until engineering ideas like weight, and matchmaking started creeping up, then suddenly .5 was a "sensible upgrade path". Sounds like you've made your peace with a little bit of engineering to counter what the MM does to a fresh TH, if that's where you want to draw your line that's OK.
    As to the effect, I don't think SC makes any deliberate attempt at deciding when a .5 crosses some line between "sensible" and "excessive". The MM algorithm is a crude hack that IMO often just rounds up a .5, or matches it with something even uglier. Engineer more heavily, or not at all IMO though the rest of the roster matters too.

I will argue with your upgrade path though. No bowlers yet? ABB. ALWAYS BE BOWLING.

Know what valks get you? A set of steak knives. Golems get you fired.
    Level 10 Adult War Clan METAMUCIL.
    And some of us are old enough that its not just a funny word...
    Metamucil keeps the red out of our logs. Small wars, lot of green.
    War Record - https://cocp.it/clan/82GJJV2J

Josh, we run light weight too. Your puppy and candy comment awhile back applies to my clan as well. Your TH11 guy that struggles with TH9’s? Got one too. I’ve been hitting TH10’s as a 9 for months. The one good TH10 we had has gone MIA. I’m trying to be a bit cautious because I have no backup.

Ripple, your question is basically what I was getting at, with people reporting their .5 bases drawing full blown 10’s I know that point is inevitable and that’s what I was curious about. Other than adding Infernos, what other key items when added/upgraded bring weight quickly.

Tank, I have my suspicions about adding bowlers being one of those key tipping points. Have you guys noticed anything to confirm that thought? I imagine not if you’re recommending it, but it’s a theory of mine.

Thanks for the input fellas.

TH10 Offense weight increase is happening fast, when you finish all army camp, SF and CC, while the real TH10 offense capability increase is minimal, so dont spend too much time there, TH11 has a better off and def balance.

if u dont want a disadvantage, better not having TH10( full TH10 or 9.5) in the roster, a full TH11 and TH9 roster is better

I'd class you as .5 already to be fair, your probably notice a point where the enemy clan has a .5 on their side, as soon as that regularly turns into an inferno 10 i'd be dropping them. Regardless of offense weight with bowlers, that would have been my first upgrade, as soon as you master them you will have the best shot at being successful, which will also translate well for th11. You done good doing valks though, Falcon is strong thats our current goto for Th10 unless we face big open bases, then its bowitch. Don't listen to people that say th10s in a bad spot and you need to rush to Th11, the 3 stars dont come easy or often, but we find the 10v10s from the enemy side come even less, its still enjoyable. The guys in our clan who aren't caught up in weights and all that garbage, who realise high percentage 2's and occassional 3's are the norm, really dont mind th10 at all.
    Leader of *This Is Sparta #22CC889J Level 13 UK Adult War Clan. Recuiting Active players Click Here
    The Game TH11 50/50/18 * Game Over TH10 30/30 * Hayden TH9 30/30 * Game on! TH8

Fresh Spawn
    I would classify a x.5 as an account that has progressed to the next TH level and has upgraded buildings/troops/spells to gain an offensive advantage while not dropping the important defense(s) at the new TH level.

As you have had the time to drop your new defenses in the time you spent upgrading your camps and spell factory, you would have had time to drop the new defenses, so by my definition you are a .5
    Last edited by Plasmaaa; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.

Banned
    No one knows the answer for sure as it relates to the more important point which Ripple identified: when does the MM consider my 9.XX a TH10 and now for the most important question, how does that affect my war roster...

Since you are near the top of the war map, the changes will become apparent quickly as you know but only trial and error with multiple data points will tell you for sure. I have a 9.XX (30/33 and all DE troops maxed) at number 3 on our 10v map but it is shielded by a max TH11 and two 9.11's and I put it in war because it doesn't draw IT's but I suspect that is a function of the overall roster more than anything else...

PM me, if you want to come see our roster and discuss more...
    Last edited by Denton; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:33 PM.

Pro Member
    Good thread so far, good comments, and some real insight into how people approach the game mentally. That side of it goes a long way towards how successful a clan is.. a little forward planning on upgrades can only help keeping things ticking along nicely.
    Always enjoy it when the big guys come to play. No disrespect to anyone else, and I see some excellent insight from people with fewer posts, but the guys with thousands of posts, in my opinion, automatically qualify for extra interest, simply because they have been more focused for longer due to posting on the site... These thread types are good for profiling forum members, keep them coming.
    As for th10.. I don't think its a dead zone. There is a lot of enjoyable game play at this level. Can either tank 9s, or take on the bigger challenge of hitting bigger bases, as the power increase from th9 is maybe the biggest in the game (haven't tried 11 in war yet).
    Troops.. Nothing wrong with GoVaWi at this level. Our regular guy has real good success with it. He is pretty adept in spotting a build flaw and exploiting it, usually picking a great entry point. Is pretty adept with his lalo too. Bowlers may be the norm, but for us it is still the future.
    Skidoo. A kindred spirit. We have the same problems in house. I think we are both here to learn. What I am finding, is that, although clan issues narrow the margin for error, relaxing the boundaries on build, and war entry, is not as debilitating as I expected. We actually have fun some wars. Drew an engi last spin, who 5 starred our top 2 (almost 6 pack), and we still turned them over. We have our no shows still, and our incompetents, but if enough "good" accounts are there to cover the map, all is not lost. Just simply have to be fresh hitting well for much of the time. Keep pushing your boundaries mate, obviously you have not hit the "pot hole" that will turn the spin against you yet. Don't worry about IT bases, I still think they are dead weight, unless you want to use QW. Have fun, good luck.
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:00 PM.