Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a hood? Please read! (Not a recruitment thread)

I have a single bad experience and now I made my own solo neighborhood and am not moving out anytime soon.
    I noticed that people join and expect to be carried, what my ex leader did without complaint and I am sure she is not the only one. When I said it’s not fair that 5 people sit in the derby and do nothing, not a single task, she even tried to enforce some rules but it was too little too late. Especially since she continued filling their boats, giving away expansion items and fulfilling every request. She was past 100 with a few baby farms so it wasnt such problem for her, but I was in my 30ies yet she kinda expected me to play for the freeloaders as well. I got fed up and left.

The interesting thing is that I noticed one of the freeloaders had another, high lvl farm in another quite competitive NH. He was using this one to reap the benefits on his baby farm while giving nothing in return.

So why people do that? Imo because they can, or someone taught them they can like my ex leader. She was very nice person but unfit for the leadership and they took advantage of her.
    They may or may not read the recruitment threads but they will still try to spin the things how it suits them, it is up to you as a leader to prevent them. By kicking them out most probably.

Forum Superstar
    That is a VERY bad experience, KattC

Worst I had was my first NH, where nobody was really all that active.
    Last edited by EllunaHellen; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:13 AM.
    Hay Day farm level 84 -Town Reputation level 19
    Farm ID #298YQQ2QU
    7/12 sanctuary animals- 6 adults, 1 baby - Done gathering expansion permits
    Started September 2014! (not in a hurry.)
    I set up a teeny tiny baby farm on April 24th, 2018! ~Level 27~

Quote Originally Posted by EllunaHellen View Post
    That is a VERY bad experience, KattC

Worst I had was my first NH, where nobody was really all that active.
    I played many games and this wasnt as bad as they can get but I didn’t have patience to try affect something I know cant be changed. She is a really nice person but the kind who cant say no. It was rather sad...
    She tried to motivate those 2-3 people who actually talked in chat instead of just demanding nails and planks. She stripped all her trees and bushes for their help task and then gave them tools for mining task, and after she basically did all their tasks on her own she praised them for doing good in derby. Didnt know whether to laugh or shed a tear for her....
    Last edited by KattC; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:28 AM.

Forum Superstar
    Aw man, that really is kind of sad She was trying so hard, poor leader!

It really sucks that she was kind of expecting you (as a somewhat newer player yourself if your level was in the 30s) to go along with that. You needed that stuff for your own development! Did she actually *say* that you were expected to in any way or was that just what you felt like?
    Hay Day farm level 84 -Town Reputation level 19
    Farm ID #298YQQ2QU
    7/12 sanctuary animals- 6 adults, 1 baby - Done gathering expansion permits
    Started September 2014! (not in a hurry.)
    I set up a teeny tiny baby farm on April 24th, 2018! ~Level 27~

Quote Originally Posted by Minxville View Post
    Iím curious....many adverts state a minimum joining level, but as soon as someone expresses an interest at a lower level often the response is ďweíll lower the level for youĒ. Whatís the point in having a minimum level in the first place? And if you are a derby obsessed hood, is it realistic to expect very new players at low levels to be able to meet your expectations? Seems it opens you up to issues. I first joined a champion league hood at level 52, which was manageable but still challenging in a ten task hood. I see people at levels in the twenties looking to join champion league hoods now. But it also seems that many hoods are finding it difficult to recruit by the number of adverts that get bumped daily, so perhaps the desperation to fill the hood outweighs the negatives for some hoods?
    Our neighborhood has a minimum of 34. I've lowered it on occasion, but only for an existing neighbor in good standing sponsoring a friend or relative, and with the clear understanding that the newbie will stay opted out of derby until they have their town opened. Level 34 is the breakpoint for both opening the town and use of pickaxes. While several of our higher-level players maintain a stockpile of axes as a cushion to help with finishing off the last few derby tasks, keeping shovels is too much nuisance; and before we had the 34 minimum, we had several newbies come in and take Train/ServiceBuilding/Townie tasks without even having their town open. However, those willing to wait were able to work on opening all their fishing spots before joining derby, making it easier for them.

As to whether it's realistic, there are things that can be done to make things easier for low-level participants. For a while we allowed "calling" production machine tasks for players below a certain level -- allowing a newbie who understands the "Stacking" tactic to effectively do two tasks at once. (Town Train tasks were also allowed, since stacking can be used there, too.) We also usually have a few higher level players who can be relied on Sundays to have mining tools to provide or bushes/trees for help tasks, allowing the last few stragglers to finish more easily. And of course, we're generally happy to supply starter crops for a crop task, or staple crops while fields are tied up in one, or various sorts of feed for feed tasks, or some of the items needed for boats. Not to mention plenty of advice.

That said, we were generally playing to stay in champions and pick up horseshoe prizes, but seldom were realistically competitive for Champions' trophies; and even so, several newbies found it very, very difficult. For those seriously trying for Champions' trophies, lower level players seem likely to be unable to keep up and to prove more handicap than help.
    Last edited by abb3w; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    Farm Tag #29C9L8RGL
    Lvl 120ish Barn 4000ish Silo 3000ish
    Neighborhood #2CU9R88C "Barnstormers" -- seeking an English-speaking active Champions-league derby player lv 40+ from Pacific area (AK/HI/NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by EllunaHellen View Post
    Aw man, that really is kind of sad She was trying so hard, poor leader!

It really sucks that she was kind of expecting you (as a somewhat newer player yourself if your level was in the 30s) to go along with that. You needed that stuff for your own development! Did she actually *say* that you were expected to in any way or was that just what you felt like?
    She was indeed trying hard but the wrong way. You get nothing from babysitting someone in games, they just turn to even worse leeches and take you for granted. I have two kids of my own, I know quite well how fast they can be on taking advantage if you let them. I am not saying all freeloaders are kids, mind, but itís the same mentality.

She never said in so many words she expect anything from me but she kinda coerced me to do derby even though without expectations. But then itís my own problem that I take team work and competition maybe more seriously than I should so I finished all tasks and even had top points. Plus I never asked for handouts but mostly did everything on my own. If she wasnít online I could not expect help from anyone anyway, all my boats got filled with DD help. Anything she did help I took a lot of trouble to give back too, so I guess she didnít realize how much stress it all amounted to for me.

The only thing I ever asked was for others to join in derby, so she tried, but once while trying to push them she said - we will help... it was that *we* that rubbed me totally the wrong way. Because I did help and a lot yet never got any help back from them. The straw and camel and stuff, I had enough and left and am much happier ever after. Happy end