Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Engineering still a huge problem - on the brink of jacking it in

Our last 5 wars have been horribly lopsided. Last war saw us verse a clan with 2 engieneer th11s and 2 engineered th10s and 3 high lol th10s. In a 10vs10 war where we have 4 th10s and the rest th9s this war is decided before it begins. Our current war has our #1 (a near maxed th10) matching to a th11 with max lvl miners and valks. A townhall cap should be added as a feature to wars. With this clans would be able to set the townhall lvl cap they want. If it was set to townhall 10 then your clan would only be able to put th10s and lower in wars but your enemy would be in the same boat. Clans with the same cap set would be matched to each other.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstrat View Post
    Our last 5 wars have been horribly lopsided. Last war saw us verse a clan with 2 engieneer th11s and 2 engineered th10s and 3 high lol th10s. In a 10vs10 war where we have 4 th10s and the rest th9s this war is decided before it begins. Our current war has our #1 (a near maxed th10) matching to a th11 with max lvl miners and valks. A townhall cap should be added as a feature to wars. With this clans would be able to set the townhall lvl cap they want. If it was set to townhall 10 then your clan would only be able to put th10s and lower in wars but your enemy would be in the same boat. Clans with the same cap set would be matched to each other.
    Agree, then I will just warring with all max th9 and out all my th11 on the side

Arrow - if you are getting this many bad matches, it's worth looking at your war line up.
    https://cocp.it/clan/L8UJ9C8R

From what I can see, you generally War with 4 TH10's, 3x TH9's, then an 8, a 7, and a th6.
    For a small war, this is quite a wide spread of town hall levels, and it makes it tough for the matchmaker to find someone with the same line up as you.

Most wars seem pretty close also (penultimate war was lost on % only?)

Try warring with a narrow spread (3x TH levels at most) and see if you get better matches.

Millennial Club
    Be careful what you wish for. It may just come true. I remember the good old days, with my new, progressing to mid hall, and getting stomped by a perma in war after war.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyValker View Post
    Arrow - if you are getting this many bad matches, it's worth looking at your war line up.
    https://cocp.it/clan/L8UJ9C8R

From what I can see, you generally War with 4 TH10's, 3x TH9's, then an 8, a 7, and a th6.
    For a small war, this is quite a wide spread of town hall levels, and it makes it tough for the matchmaker to find someone with the same line up as you.

Most wars seem pretty close also (penultimate war was lost on % only?)

Try warring with a narrow spread (3x TH levels at most) and see if you get better matches.
    Always the safer bet Sky, but I would be looking to drop at least 2 of those 10s. I feel he is running top heavy, especially if the heroes are on steroids. I would even be tempted to run a single, well stocked 10, minus IT, add another 9, and a couple of 8s. That would "feel" more like our set up. We do ok, so long as we do our bit on war day. 10v worries me tho, I feel there is no wriggle room with war that small. I like 15v.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenbearUK View Post
    Engineering has destroyed OUR game.

Having started this latest engineering thread last week some players advised removing our TH11 out of war during a '15' war. I’ve done this and searched for a '10' war with 3 balanced (one max) TH10’s, 4 TH9’s and 3 TH8’s. None of these bases are rushed, .5 OR engineered.

Not only are we drawn against FOUR TH10’s, their no.6 is an engineered TH11 with 260 troop space and TH8 defences with Level1 Xbows and Warden Level5. Their no.9 is a heavily engineered TH8 with barely any defence - fully engineered.

The search was done approximately 7pm GMT Friday evening and the clan we’re against are from Bangladesh.

Also the player that has the engineered TH11 base is doing very unusual things and keeps modding their base. I visited the last clan they fought and he did the same there. The player is also constantly changing their name and I have screenshots showing the 3 name changes in just 24 hours. I have taken screenshots of the 3 changes and sent them to Supercell via Contact Us

When are Supercell going to address engineering AND modding both in the game in general and most importantly Clan Wars?

GB (still fighting the corner of the avid gamer)
    OP, you've been posting threads on here fairly steadily for the last year, explaining why you are quitting the game due to engineering. For example, from last September:

Given our experiences over the last few years we've ALL decided to jack the game in. We are 13 bases between 4 sometimes 5 people. These bases will be dead come tomorrow and there is no turning back! The days are now long gone when Supercell had a platform they could program to come-up with near perfect matches for evenly balanced wars where strategy reigned and defenceless bases a fantasy.
    Clash of Clans is deleted from our devices and I have to say it will be sorely missed.
    You also say you write to support regularly about engineered wars. You talk about "roster engineered" bases hiding down the list. And you don't seem to think you see any improvement in the MM.

You won't like this if you're on here for sympathy, but I've got to ask, are you sure you're looking at the situation realistically?

Firstly support can do nothing about war matching. You might as well write to Santa Claus. Their job is to sort out people who've lost their accounts; not received gems they've bought, that kind of thing. War matching is something happening deep in the database, that they've got no access to, and I imagine zero extra information about. There is a thread at the top of this forum where you can report bad matches, and those reports might actually reach the engineers who code the war matching. But as far as I can see you've not posted there.

You repeatedly talk about roster engineering in reference to bases with missing defences, such as:
    Whenever I contact SC either some staff responses lack knowledge of what roster engineering is (like who wants to face a TH10 when you're at TH8 or TH10 versus a TH11)
    If your TH8s are facing TH10s, that's not "Roster engineering". Roster engineering is sticking some TH3s to supposedly lower a clan's average war weight. Your TH8s would be facing TH3 in that case. I wouldn't recommend trying it. What you are complaining about are "defenceless" or "lopsided" bases. It's not surprise if support don't understand what you mean by roster engineering, as no-one else would either.

You imply in your various posts you've not seen any improvement to the MM and you're still quitting over war imbalances. You've really seen no difference? I was plenty critical of SCs attempts at a so-called MM from Mar 2016 to late 2017 - there were some shockingly bad decisions made which were then left to fester. I'd get in trouble if I said fully what I thought about it. But there's certainly been a lot of changes in the last few months. I'm not sure what to think of the current MM. It seems quite variable (maybe a sign that SC are working on it).

But one thing is for sure, many of the simple engineering methods you describe simply don't provide the advantages they once did. From what I see those lopsided accounts with high offence and low defence are being hammered. Last war we played against an EWL veteran division clan who thought adding a couple of defenceless TH11s and TH10s to the bottom of the roster would help them. By the end of the war they'd kicked them, and any other non-standard bases, and their clan description now read "no engineered bases". Their disadvantage was so great we hammered them by 10* - that's got to sting for a league clan in a random spin war against a non-league clan.

I'd be curious to see the war you describe above if it's still in your log. From the way you describe it, it sounds like they should flatten you. But unless I'm mistaken it ended 25-24 in your favour. You had 3 TH10s, but the enemy left 6* uncleared with a TH11 and 4 TH10s? Was the war really as bad as you described? (apologies if I'm looking at the wrong war on cocpit and this is nonsense)

You also complain that this enemy was modding. If they were, they'd have gotten a perfect score against you easily. Unless I'm looking at the wrong war, they clearly weren't modding. Yet that forms part of your "When are Supercell going to address engineering AND modding both in the game in general and most importantly Clan Wars?"

I predict if you keep on as you are - complaining that it's unfair and addressing those complaints to support and players who can do nothing about it - that you'll never be satisfied with wars. I'd suggest taking a step back and seeing if the wars are really so bad; getting players to visit and advise on your wars and maybe what you can change. I'm not suggesting an "if you can't beat them, join them", because I think many engineers are getting absolutely hammered by the MM now. As I said, I'm not sure if I like the MM or not at the moment, but it's certainly different, and SC have certainly made a lot of changes.
    Last edited by OnyxDS; April 16th, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Forum cup organiser. The forum cup discord server is: https://discord.gg/KEUxV2e

Hi,

Was just going to post an update which I will but just saw Onyx's superb post.

Onyx. Just to put your mind at rest at the end of last year and going into this year we had a superb war record AND seeing less engineered clans. Also, less semi-engineered clans who sneakily drop xbows or infernos but create difficult TH10 bases without infernos.

However, for some reason over the last month there was and possibly still is, a spike in engineering and the semi-engineered types we were getting drawn against. To clarify, THERE IS NO lopsided, .5 or engineered bases in our clan. We have one TH9 that has no X-bows but he rarely plays and I use the base for '15' wars.

The problem, as most advise on here, is that some of our bases are very mature at their respective TH levels, which does not exactly explain why we drew 3-4 semi engineered clans in recent weeks. As I said in the original post, we were well beaten by a couple of clans fair and square.

Onyx. The reason why we beat the engineered clan was very simple. Their TH11 (ranked at No.6) got 99% versus our no.6 (TH9) as he (or she) ran out of time - it actually had 220 camp space not 260 as I had previously stated. Also, our top TH10 had finished upgrading to TH11 (I'll expand on that in a minute). I then gemmed the TH10 Laboratory to TH11 and paid 300 gems for a Power Potion, this enabled us to smash to bits their No.1 and No.2 with high percentage two stars. They also struggled versus our No.3 which is an anti-two star base and they failed with 3 attempts to 2 star it.

As others have advised on this thread, perhaps our strength at near max bases at TH8, 9 and 10 is beginning to give us a disadvantage.

Therefore, with the newly upgraded TH11 (we already have one max troop mid-defence TH11 which was out of last war) will not be adding Eagle Artillery or upgrading the likes of infernos/wiz towers or mortars. I have added the 4th X-bow at level 1 thus far. Troop wise I've finished upgrading to Level 6 drags and just bought the reassuringly expensive Fighting pack to upgrade Valks and Bowlers too. That SHOULD give us an advantage moving forward as long as I'm not stupid in upgrading defences too much like I have been in the past.

Question: Does anyone know if upgrading Army Camps adds to war weight? For example; would a 260 camp set-up carry a higher war weight than a 240?

Engineering was ultimately the fault of Supercell, not addressing the issue years ago when it was highlighted. Supercell staff also responded to many of us by saying 'it is up to players what they do with their bases'. That sort of response saw nearly everyone I knew playing the game over the last 4 years give it up as they only played for war and war became literally engineered. For me I believed the hype that it would be cured, there is substantial evidence it has been curtailed. Please don't shoot the messenger with regard my highlighting engineering, it has been and still is, a major flaw in an otherwise superb game.

GB
    Last edited by MrGreenbearUK; April 17th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Elder
    I will not re-quote Onyx (said it much nicer than I would), but Greenbear you are still confused about your opponents, engineering and the terminology.

Roster engineering has nothing to do with TH10's, dropping xbows, or creating difficult bases. It is adding low level (Th3 generally) bases to your roster to allow the average weight to be similar to your opponent but getting a stronger top or middle.

A th11 with 220 camps is either rushed or a very poor engineer. If you are meeting these types of bases you should be winning. TH11's should stomp TH9's with ease.

If you are a TH11 and your first choice for troop upgrades is dragons, you are not understanding the current war meta (sorry Johnny).

If you start your thinking by saying if I upgrade X will it change my war weight, you are engineering.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripple1972 View Post
    I will not re-quote Onyx (said it much nicer than I would), but Greenbear you are still confused about your opponents, engineering and the terminology.

Roster engineering has nothing to do with TH10's, dropping xbows, or creating difficult bases. It is adding low level (Th3 generally) bases to your roster to allow the average weight to be similar to your opponent but getting a stronger top or middle.

A th11 with 220 camps is either rushed or a very poor engineer. If you are meeting these types of bases you should be winning. TH11's should stomp TH9's with ease.

If you are a TH11 and your first choice for troop upgrades is dragons, you are not understanding the current war meta (sorry Johnny).

If you start your thinking by saying if I upgrade X will it change my war weight, you are engineering.
    This is all your fault, I hope your proud of your accomplishments.

Onyx. The reason why we beat the engineered clan was very simple. Their TH11 (ranked at No.6) got 99% versus our no.6 (TH9) as he (or she) ran out of time - it actually had 220 camp space not 260 as I had previously stated. Also, our top TH10 had finished upgrading to TH11 (I'll expand on that in a minute). I then gemmed the TH10 Laboratory to TH11 and paid 300 gems for a Power Potion, this enabled us to smash to bits their No.1 and No.2 with high percentage two stars. They also struggled versus our No.3 which is an anti-two star base and they failed with 3 attempts to 2 star it.

GB
    So who did your #1 attack then? Surely he could have 3'd their #2 at least.

Forum Champion
    Hi,

Question: Does anyone know if upgrading Army Camps adds to war weight? For example; would a 260 camp set-up carry a higher war weight than a 240?

Engineering was ultimately the fault of Supercell, not addressing the issue years ago when it was highlighted. Supercell staff also responded to many of us by saying 'it is up to players what they do with their bases'. That sort of response saw nearly everyone I knew playing the game over the last 4 years give it up as they only played for war and war became literally engineered. For me I believed the hype that it would be cured, there is substantial evidence it has been curtailed. Please don't shoot the messenger with regard my highlighting engineering, it has been and still is, a major flaw in an otherwise superb game.

GB
    Very interesting question, i used to think the camps weight was minimal, but someone recently told me the camps add i belive around 1300 each (maybe he meant with cc upgrade). I have heared people note with suprise how fast offensive weight increases after townhall upgraded despite few troop upgrades.

so looks like they do add a bit of weight, probably less then the impact they have though.
    Last edited by Vikingchief; April 17th, 2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Clan - Highland chiefs, Highlandchiefs2 (occasionally Highland rebels)
    Accounts - 5 th12, 11 th11s. Fixing matchmaker :https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-and-onyzng%21 : how to migrate to supercell ID :https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cell-ID-Thread