Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TH11 base design

TH11 base design

I think most people would agree that TH11's have become much easier to 3 star than ever before. What do you consider the essentials in base design to stop an opponent from clearing the base? I have a few thoughts but wondering what others think.

On a side note, does anyone know of any good RECENT videos on TH11 base design?

I await some replies with baited breath. My track record was good for defence (in war) until fairly recently but has rapidly gone downhill. My strategy of copying bases our clan struggles on isn't bearing fruit atm.
    Crazybod lvl 240, 60/60/30, 2 Billion GG and EE, 31 million HH and counting.5743 trophies personal best.Defences MAX, walls MAX .Full stats HERE
    Crazybod2 lvl 229, 60/60/30, 2 Billion GG and EE, 24.4 million HH and counting.5498 trophies personal best.Def MAX, walls MAX.Full stats HERE

A great question. I'm also open to any suggestions!

As a starting point however, I do think it's important to try and put in context where you and your clan are in terms of strength, and the likely quality of your opponents.
    Many Keyboard crunchers (ahem Skrags!!!) often like to over emphasize their attacking abilities somewhat, it's just forum nature I suppose.

The TWC clans with their carrots tend to run strict anti 3 bases, as do many very heavy TH11 clans.
    The CWL clans still seem to be running hybrids as they don't want TH10s hitting them for easy 2 stars, but this strategy seems to be diluting recently with better TH10 v TH10 success rates.

For your average mixed TH clans, base building is a tricky balance. Many players scoff at the old 'Ring Bases', but the reason why many players ran ring bases is because they often defended, and in wars where every attack counts up top, a 1 star defence could be crucial to your clan winning a war!

As our TH11s have grown, we tend to run Hybrid bases these days, or anti 3 if our TH11s are not maxed.
    They tend to be built with Bowlers in mind rather than Lavaloon, which takes me back to my initial point about your own war experience and the clans you face.
    The highly skilled clans (TWC/CWL) will often use a Lavaloon variant, but in our wars? - very rarely to be honest. There's too much scope/risk for failure, hence we plan for Bowlers in the main, with GB positions being crucial.

Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 14 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...10-s-to-TH12-s My Spec : TH11, 50-50-20.

Banned
    Skrags has good points. You have to choose your poison, but if you have built your own base, pay attention to where a majority of attacks come from. I’d be defending AQ walk into bowitch. If everyone starts from 6 o'clock And has success, you need to adjust.

Most planned ground attacks pay attention to where is the eagle, how strong are the walls (how many jumps are needed), are the air defenses and infernos in range, and what is the likely pathing inside.

And if someone executes, you are going to get 3 starred.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybod View Post
    I await some replies with baited breath. My track record was good for defence (in war) until fairly recently but has rapidly gone downhill. My strategy of copying bases our clan struggles on isn't bearing fruit atm.
    Funny, we really struggled against a particular base during a war. So, someone built it and it got just got demolished the first few times it was used! So we scrapped it. I always think it is better to have an original base so the opponent has a harder time figuring out how to attack it. But, taking aspects of a certain base type is a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrags View Post
    A great question. I'm also open to any suggestions!

As a starting point however, I do think it's important to try and put in context where you and your clan are in terms of strength, and the likely quality of your opponents.
    Many Keyboard crunchers (ahem Skrags!!!) often like to over emphasize their attacking abilities somewhat, it's just forum nature I suppose.

The TWC clans with their carrots tend to run strict anti 3 bases, as do many very heavy TH11 clans.
    The CWL clans still seem to be running hybrids as they don't want TH10s hitting them for easy 2 stars, but this strategy seems to be diluting recently with better TH10 v TH10 success rates.

For your average mixed TH clans, base building is a tricky balance. Many players scoff at the old 'Ring Bases', but the reason why many players ran ring bases is because they often defended, and in wars where every attack counts up top, a 1 star defence could be crucial to your clan winning a war!

As our TH11s have grown, we tend to run Hybrid bases these days, or anti 3 if our TH11s are not maxed.
    They tend to be built with Bowlers in mind rather than Lavaloon, which takes me back to my initial point about your own war experience and the clans you face.
    The highly skilled clans (TWC/CWL) will often use a Lavaloon variant, but in our wars? - very rarely to be honest. There's too much scope/risk for failure, hence we plan for Bowlers in the main, with GB positions being crucial.

Excellent points Skrags. We don't participate in any high level leagues so we don't always get tough competition. But my feeling is always treat opponents like they are super tough. If they aren't good, then you will likely win anyway. If they are tough, then you are ready. Ring bases used to pose a problem before offense was buffed, but we can very often 3 star any type of ring base.

We have gravitated toward an anti-3 base with the TH a little tough to reach so not a gimme for a TH10 to hit. But, doesn't seem too critical these days as we almost always clear the TH10s and 2 star+ all 11s. So, the TH11 can be put on outside, near outside. We typically 3 star maybe 3 of out 7 TH11s we face. So, we gladly will give them all or most 2 stars on our 11s.

I think having a lot of compartments works well to combat the bowitch which we all seem to agree is most popular attack. Well placed giant bombs and spring traps help. Hard to reach Queen especially to make hogs or air attack tougher. Separating ITs and Eagle so can't destroy them together. Single target ITs to stop hero charge. xbows reaching edges to make QW tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripple1972 View Post
    Skrags has good points. You have to choose your poison, but if you have built your own base, pay attention to where a majority of attacks come from. I’d be defending AQ walk into bowitch. If everyone starts from 6 o'clock And has success, you need to adjust.

Most planned ground attacks pay attention to where is the eagle, how strong are the walls (how many jumps are needed), are the air defenses and infernos in range, and what is the likely pathing inside.

And if someone executes, you are going to get 3 starred.
    Ripple, I totally agree. Some folks create a base and ignore it. The key is watching attacks and adjusting your base accordingly sometimes after every war or FC. You need to know your base well and how people like to attack it.

Anything impacts the chances that a weaker attacker can funnel successfully is helpful, if you are talking random spin wars.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 16 International clan
    We welcome strong TH11 and TH12 adult players with big heros for relaxed fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Must know where the donate button is!

Quote Originally Posted by Red777 View Post
    Funny, we really struggled against a particular base during a war. So, someone built it and it got just got demolished the first few times it was used! So we scrapped it. I always think it is better to have an original base so the opponent has a harder time figuring out how to attack it. But, taking aspects of a certain base type is a good starting point.
    Recently copied 3 bases from our last war which we struggled on. So i'm set for the next 3 wars at least. All holding up well in friendly challenges, but eventually 2/3 have been cracked once they were hit enough and adjustments made.

I truly agree with the "if someone executes, you are going to get 3 starred" comment
    Crazybod lvl 240, 60/60/30, 2 Billion GG and EE, 31 million HH and counting.5743 trophies personal best.Defences MAX, walls MAX .Full stats HERE
    Crazybod2 lvl 229, 60/60/30, 2 Billion GG and EE, 24.4 million HH and counting.5498 trophies personal best.Def MAX, walls MAX.Full stats HERE

Quote Originally Posted by crazybod View Post
    Recently copied 3 bases from our last war which we struggled on. So i'm set for the next 3 wars at least. All holding up well in friendly challenges, but eventually 2/3 have been cracked once they were hit enough and adjustments made.

I truly agree with the "if someone executes, you are going to get 3 starred" comment
    Yeah the game is set up that ANY base can be tripled. The key is having a base that makes it very hard to do so apart from an excellent strategy and execution.