Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Recording your screen. A guide for everyone with any device.

[Guide] Recording your screen. A guide for everyone with any device.

Hello everyone,

I would like to preface this guide by saying this is my 3,000th post and to celebrate that I have decided to make this guide for you guys. I would also like to thank all the amazing members of the forums for their insight and knowledge of the game, as well as for quite a few laughs.

Now to the guide.

The guide is split into 4 sections for three different kinds of devices. Section 1 will be about Jailbroken iOS devices (It's just a tiny snippet), the second is about devices running ios6 (and older, I think), the third is about devices running iOS 7, and the fourth will be about Android devices.
    One more thing, this guide is focused on free solutions so I will not talk about reflector or airplay, you can Google them and read their official websites.

Section 1

Since you have a JB device just search for "Display Recorder" by Ryan Petrich, which is not free, but is the best IMO. Also look for "Record My Screen" which isn't as good, but is free. That's it for the JB section (keeping it short).

Section 2

Holding off on ios7 actually helps you here, as this solution doesn't work on iOS 7. Simple go to iemulators.com. It will looks like this...

Make sure you follow the instructions on the website, or it will not work.

Section 3

So you updated to iOS 7 for all those new feature, but now iemulator won't work for you. Not to worry, I will teach you how record your screen. However you will need a computer.

First we need some software on our computer. Go to http://www.itools.cn/download.php?v=pc_en . This takes you to the Windows download page, if you want mac choose that on the left side bar. Then click download. I use Windows since that is what I have. It is a portable application, so no installation should be needed. Just open the application and plug in your device. It will look like this...

Then navigate to "desktop" which is on the bar to the left of the screen and click "live display".

Then that's it. If you want to record simple press the record button.

One thing to mention, it does have some lag, but you will be able to record your videos fine. (Just stay away from those moving backgrounds while recording).

Note: as of 11/17 iTools is not compatible with 7.0.4
    Section 4

So you have an Android device. I do not, so I have not tested any of this on a physical device. If you are rooted then just search screen recorder in the google play store and there are a number of apps. If you are not rooted I will refer you to a blog post where it seems it is possible record the screen through ADB. Here is the link http://www.geek.com/android/how-to-u...d-4-4-1576505/

And that's it for this guide I think. I hope this helps the community, in some way.

Thanks for reading, and keep clashing,
    Dualsabers04
    Last edited by Dualsabers04; November 18th, 2013 at 03:19 AM.

What is the quality like for option 3? Do you know any youtubers who use that?

|Trophy Offer Formulas Discovered!|
    ^Now with a handy table linking offers and cup differences^

RIP Smash Land

Good guide, but sadly, Forums don't support anything related to JB or something that apple doesn't approve...
    section 1 and 2 would be against forum terms
    Old clash of Clans info (Stopped playing)
    IGN: Felipe. Clan: Searching... Trophy Record: 2912. Level 97
    You are a Clash of Clans addict when...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruc3y View Post
    You walk up to the Salvation Army guy ringing his bell and ask him if he's ok with Giants.
    Clash Royale: IGN: FelipeC Level 9, 3070 trophies. Clan: Temuco

Quote Originally Posted by zachUVA View Post
    What is the quality like for option 3? Do you know any youtubers who use that?
    Here is an example video I took to report a BB problem.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a83zuq.jpg

And I don't know any YouTuber who use it. I actually don't know what YouTubers use.

Most of the tubers use Reflector and screen record from quicktime as far as I know.

Im gonna be banned of the forums pretty soon
    Just use reflector or reflection, it's free. You can record for 10 minutes then you need to stop and reload the program....
    Nope

awesome guide, this is information that a lot of people are always asking about, it should be stickied!

I have only used Reflector succesfully (other than that I've only briefly tried airplay + quicktime screen recroding but couldnt get the audio to record so went back to reflector lol).

All of these free options look great (I havnt used any of them so I can't rate them from experience). If I may, I'll share my experience with reflector (which does technically cost money). I've found reflector to be incredibly useful - it's super simple to use, records high quality vids, exports them easily and quickly to quicktime where you can edit the file or rename it or upload it directly to youtube and what not. I have yet to feel like reflector is lacking any features.

Not sure I'm allowed to go into detail but it is very easy to get the programs which cost money for free (note, I said easy, not legal of course). I am running iOS 7 on my ipad and OS 10.8.5 on my macbook pro currently, and the latest version of reflector has been working great (I don't have experience using it on a PC, so can't accurately say anything about that).

If someone has a question about reflector feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help with any issues setting it up (on a mac). Probably don't ask about it in this thread however, since the thread is about free options and I've already polluted it enough with my ramblings about reflector haha.

Hope OP doesn't mind me touching upon one of the paid programs, just wanted to share my experience for those out there who might be wondering about the options that cost money.

IGN:
    Phal [] Level: 121 [] Clan: BLACK ICE [] Highest Trophy: 3901 [] Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Phal View Post
    awesome guide, this is information that a lot of people are always asking about, it should be stickied!

I have only used Reflector succesfully (other than that I've only briefly tried airplay + quicktime screen recroding but couldnt get the audio to record so went back to reflector lol).

All of these free options look great (I havnt used any of them so I can't rate them from experience). If I may, I'll share my experience with reflector (which does technically cost money). I've found reflector to be incredibly useful - it's super simple to use, records high quality vids, exports them easily and quickly to quicktime where you can edit the file or rename it or upload it directly to youtube and what not. I have yet to feel like reflector is lacking any features.

Not sure I'm allowed to go into detail but it is very easy to get the programs which cost money for free (note, I said easy, not legal of course). I am running iOS 7 on my ipad and OS 10.8.5 on my macbook pro currently, and the latest version of reflector has been working great (I don't have experience using it on a PC, so can't accurately say anything about that).

If someone has a question about reflector feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help with any issues setting it up (on a mac). Probably don't ask about it in this thread however, since the thread is about free options and I've already polluted it enough with my ramblings about reflector haha.

Hope OP doesn't mind me touching upon one of the paid programs, just wanted to share my experience for those out there who might be wondering about the options that cost money.
    Don't worry, I'm fine with anyone's opinions and insight.

I can't record CoC with RecordMyScreen on iOS 6. It keeps crashing. Any idea what's going on and how I could fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spice View Post
    I can't record CoC with RecordMyScreen on iOS 6. It keeps crashing. Any idea what's going on and how I could fix it?
    Hmm... That odd. I haven't seen any reports of that yet. Try running the app with your date set back and see if that helps.