Thread: We need advice on our roster

We need advice on our roster

We have been facing some difficulties in our recent wars, and we are not really sure what we can do to improve our performance. I am writing this here hoping that some of you will be more savvy than me in war matchmaking, so that you can give us some advice.

First of all, let me report on the last two wars we had, for which the details are still visible.

The war before the last was a 30vs30. We had 19 TH11s, 2 TH10s, 6 TH9s, 2 TH9.5s, and 1 TH9.75 (a TH11 without infernos and eagle). We got obliterated by an opponent who had 21 TH11s, 2 TH10.5, 5 TH10s, 1 TH9.5 and 1 TH9.

The last war was a victory for us and it was a 20vs20. We had 13 TH11s, 1 TH10, 2 TH9.5s, and 4 TH9s. The opponent had 14 TH11s, 1 TH10.5, 3 TH10s, and 2 TH9s.

This is typical of what we see. We normally run wars from 15 to 30, and our composition is heavy on TH11s with a bit of 10s and 9s. When we find opponents, we are always outgunned in terms of TH11s, though. Why this happens is beyond me. OK, I realize it is not possible to guarantee equal numbers of opponents per TH level, but how is it possible that our opponent always has more TH11s than us? This is not random, and it is annoying!

Yesterday evening we started our war search for a 25vs25 with 16 TH11s, 1 TH10, 2 TH9.5s, and 6 TH9s. We stopped the search 3 hours later as no opponent was found.

A few words about our bases are in order. We insist on high level defenses and offense. We are not allowing a player to progress to TH10, for example, if they are not a maxed TH9 (including walls). We may discount a couple of hero levels, but no more than that. Even our .5s and our .75 have very high level defenses, walls, and heroes.

Now, we are contemplating some possible courses of action, based on what we think we know about matchmaking. The question is whether any of them will be effective:

a) We want to get rid of the X.5s and X.75s. Most of these players agree to drop the defenses they miss.

b) We have read that tightening the TH spread improves matchmaking in general. Some of us argue that we only run 9s, 10s, and 11s, so the spread is tight already, while others argue in favor of dropping the 9s altogether. Sadly, this means we will need to kick people out of the clan, which we do not want to do unless it is absolutely necessary.

Can we do anything else?
    CoC: Co-Leader in war clan Greece #JJ2C28G. Always recruiting Greek-speaking warriors!
    CR: Elder in Greece elite #28P09JY
    BB: Member in Greece #GVQRY2

The matchup doesn't look to bad, u most likely always gonna be down a few th when maxing out like u do but its the right thing to do. No need to drop th9, 3 th spread is good.

Advise:

Look over your account, those who are maxed maybe forgot a few things like the new bombs or skeleton traps u get at th10. Can be a wall not upgraded behind a building etc. I found it extremely important to max previous th lvl
    search as close to 14:00 GMT u can, there is more opponents to choose from at that hour.
    Drop the defenses for your .5 and .75 (just lvl1 if u like)

But don't forget that base designs and war skills are the 2 most important thing to work on
    Last edited by clashaddict9; March 12th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

Hello, great question. I'm sure you will receive some informative replies!

Firstly, lets start with the mix.

Perhaps the biggest complaint on the forums over the last 6-12 months has been TH11 disparity. We've seen complaints of 2 x TH11s versus 7 x TH11's etc, which is obviously ridiculous as an example, but real for some clans.
    It seems SC have brought in some kind of TH matching to try and minimise these huge disparity issues.

Your clan is very TH11 heavy, and this in itself poses a problem because of the amount of clans in the matching pool similar to yourselves!
    Using your experience :-

1) 30v30 produced 19 TH11s v 21. (Your opponents have 10% more TH11s)
    2) 20v20 produced 13 TH11s v 14. (Your opponents have 8% more TH11s)

Overall these are 'good matches' in my opinion. What would you expect with such as TH11 heavy roster?

Tightening your roster to have balance is generally a good idea, but this is based upon the likelihood of finding a clan similar to yourselves, as outlined here :-

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...=1#post9632806

A balanced roster is one that has a higher % than average of finding a clan within the matching pool similar to its own.

For example, I'd suggest for 20v20 something like :-

5 x TH11's
    7 x TH10's
    8 x TH9's

... would be a balanced roster, as many clans run a similar break down (all things being equal).

With your heavy TH11 roster, the matchmaker is trying to find a clan with a similar build. Your engineered bases won't help with this at all in my opinion.
    Matching clans with 2 x TH11 disparity (either way) is probably a good result for your roster.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 12 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...H8-s-to-TH11-s My spec: mid TH11, 50/45/20

agree Skrags, balancing the roaster has primary got to do with getting an opponent faster but u got the ppl u got in the clan. Getting more th10 probably gonna help getting faster matchups tho

Quote Originally Posted by Skrags View Post
    Hello, great question. I'm sure you will receive some informative replies!

Firstly, lets start with the mix.

Perhaps the biggest complaint on the forums over the last 6-12 months has been TH11 disparity. We've seen complaints of 2 x TH11s versus 7 x TH11's etc, which is obviously ridiculous as an example, but real for some clans.
    It seems SC have brought in some kind of TH matching to try and minimise these huge disparity issues.

Your clan is very TH11 heavy, and this in itself poses a problem because of the amount of clans in the matching pool similar to yourselves!
    Using your experience :-

1) 30v30 produced 19 TH11s v 21. (Your opponents have 10% more TH11s)
    2) 20v20 produced 13 TH11s v 14. (Your opponents have 8% more TH11s)

Overall these are 'good matches' in my opinion. What would you expect with such as TH11 heavy roster?

Tightening your roster to have balance is generally a good idea, but this is based upon the likelihood of finding a clan similar to yourselves, as outlined here :-

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...=1#post9632806

A balanced roster is one that has a higher % than average of finding a clan within the matching pool similar to its own.

For example, I'd suggest for 20v20 something like :-

5 x TH11's
    7 x TH10's
    8 x TH9's

... would be a balanced roster, as many clans run a similar break down (all things being equal).

With your heavy TH11 roster, the matchmaker is trying to find a clan with a similar build. Your engineered bases won't help with this at all in my opinion.
    Matching clans with 2 x TH11 disparity (either way) is probably a good result for your roster.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
    I think skrags is correct here. Your matches are NOT results of forgetting to level 1 wall or missing a level on a trap......Your roster is very top heavy and is probably the part the match maker focuses on. The bottom is collateral damage. It can be good or bad.

With such a top heavy roster there is no reason to try and skip on defenses. It's a small drop in a very large weight bucket. I would true up all your .5's into full versions of their town halls. Not much you can do with the Th9's.

I definitely think that adding in more 9's and 10's (if you can) will help to make your roster more common and provide better matches.
    DeathStorm-10|22/23|2148*|FireStorm-10|17/20|2178*|SuperStorm-9|13/15|2147*
    DragonStorm-9|8/8|1529*|PerfectStorm-9|8/10|1428*|BrainStorm-10|10/16|1452*

I am not good on rosters myself.

If you want to improve like getting more wins. Your clan needs to be more proactive in experimenting new war attacks and keeping an open mind. Hope it helps!

Curi
    My strongest 3* attack strategy is 120 wall breakers with 17 wall breakers in cc, and 5 jumps + 1 eq and another eq in cc.