Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Why Bother Warring with such horrible benefits?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    52

    Why Bother Warring with such horrible benefits?

    I know that clan wars can be fun, but are the rewards really worth it?

    Consider this scenario: as an almost maxed TH9 player (with not a very good war record), I should expect 700-800k loot bonus from 2 attacks in war—if we win. If we lose, then next to nothing.

    In Champions II League, the loot bonus is 225,000 gold/elixir, and I normally only attack bases with at least 250,000 gold/elixir, preferably 400k+. I almost always win with at least 1 Star, usually above 70% to get the full loot bonus during a typical raid. That means in a raid, I’ll net ~500-700k per attack. Every 2 attacks is typically much more than I’d get in war—again, IF we win at war.

    Raiding is of course much faster and a much more reliable way of getting loot. Sure, war loot goes to the treasury—but so does the daily 5-Star loot bonuses and clan games loot. Yes, wars increase your Clan XP and unlock Clan Perks, but what if your clan is already lv 10+?

    Clan wars take time, a full 24 hours to “prepare” (is that really necessary?), and 24 hours to attack, so at most 1 war every 2 days. Meanwhile with boosted troops, you can raid 8-9 times an hour or so.

    Why even bother with war from a loot perspective? Why even bother warring at all once your clan is level 10+ besides entertainment or practice?

    Is there anyone else who feels that:

    1) War loot needs to be massively increased, so that win or lose the war, you’ll always get more loot than a typical raid and
    2) There needs to be some other benefit to war, such as magical items or having personal war stars becoming a “currency” as suggested in the past.

    What are your thoughts? Think I’m being too harsh or cynical? Do you think the benefits to war as is are fine or need to be adjusted? How do you fare at war?

    Of course my opinions might not be popular and I’m admittedly not very good at war. Also wars are a completely optional feature of the game and not for everyone, but shouldn’t it really be *worth it* to war and win?

    Edit: Based on the responses so far (and thanks for taking the time!), it seems most players don’t war for the loot and are likely fine the way it is. They war for the glory, skill, practice, and the pressure of masterfully attacking difficult bases. I totally get that. Then how about this: special decorations that can only be purchased when you’ve accumulated a certain amount of personal war stars—or something similar, to show others your skill at war?

    Or are total stars even an accurate way to gauge skill at war? Could just be a long-time player that gets 1 stars regularly—or dips far below their current level to get easy 3-Star wins. It would be nice to get an accurate way to measure a player’s war skill. Ideas?
    Last edited by lincolnq; March 1st, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,891
    I've played for several years and we always had the idea we don't war for loot. We war for other reasons.
    If you're not smarter than the guy you're dealing with you lose.
    You failed to utilize the most effective strategy by not using the most available resources to affect your outcome.
    I play to win. You play to see how tough you are.
    Defeat the enemy anyway you can.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    269
    that's why we have different types of clans. if u like war and the challenge it bring, join a war clan. If u only like to farm join a farming clan. If u for some reason like to push, there is pushing clans. Then we got the odd FWA clans.

  4. #4
    Super Member TheGame1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Banbury, UK
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnq View Post
    Of course my opinions might not be popular and I’m admittedly not very good at war. Also wars are a completely optional feature of the game and not for everyone, but shouldn’t it really be *worth it* to war and win?
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions, mine personally is we don't war for loot, we war to be tested and adds the competitive edge to the game I personally need. The loot for me feels fine as it is.

  5. #5
    Pro Member nobeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Deepest darkest Devon
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJackrabbit View Post
    I've played for several years and we always had the idea we don't war for loot. We war for other reasons.
    ^^^ This.

    Had a guy I was warring with discussing army comp. for a war attack, great I think, he is really thinking about it, good start! No, he was trying to reduce de content in the army to ensure he at least broken even on the attack

    War is not about the loot. If you only care about loot, don't war, or at least, please don't war in a clan with me

    War is about the challenge, the pressure, and the thrill of a 3 star on a tough base, when the chips are down and your clan really needs a result.

    War is about the winning. Most of us have to lose a bit too, but no need to enjoy that, suck it up and go again.

    War is about doing your best, putting everything in to a war, and seeing if you can best another clan.

    I suspect war is not for you OP. Though perhaps see the FWA thread?

  6. #6
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,213
    War is for Glory and the thrill of strategy and besting your rival opponent's bases (hopefully on fair terms) and highlighting your clan's leadership and overall teamwork efforts. these are the main reasons in my positive view.

    It is the ONLY means of gaining clan XP currently (until the new Clan Games rewards roll out).

    FWA, OL and Farm War types (like the one I run) just use it as a means to get extra loot in an efficient manner.cause much like you I have a good amount of distain for real war) my clan also gain some extra XP in case they buff perks past L10.

    Yes regular farming is the way to go for loot gains. but there is no clan XP from farming.. sadly. (yet)
    also the rewards are not anything I could not make in a few raids (or one mega Zombie raid) that I do in daily farming anyhow; but the regular additions to the treasury are always a welcomed addition every couple days. esp when we get comply.

    are you cynical? meh.. its just another game mode that some take more seriously than some others.

    I do not care to war competitively at all. I run my clan like a FWA type, and we 'white flag' the war and ask for the opponents to set out the top two bases so we can loot.

    if they don't then we just do a few attacks with our farming army, or take a stab at a 'real war scenario' type attack. and get some 'live bullets' attacks in where real strategy is used to best a base...

    but its 'house money' so, its not like I have earned it and need to protect it like my main village base... so I don't mind giving it away. haters don't like this sentiment, but I wish I could drum up some amount of care.. I have several like minded clannies and that is what matters. hopefully they'll get a competitive rival next run. cause they sure don't seem to mind taking our easy loot. and its not ours to keep and it aint really that much anyhow.. so no sweat here..lol

    that is my thoughts bro..

    Clash on

  7. #7
    Forum Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    9,111
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJackrabbit View Post
    I've played for several years and we always had the idea we don't war for loot. We war for other reasons.
    I was a competitive clan warrior, until modders and disagreement with clan management made me quit clan wars completely.

    I understand the thrill of war, but it isn't conductive for efficient hero upgrades. War Farming, is. No beating around the bush, just get those royals maxed out and move on.

    /Affront
    TH12-60/60/30|BH8-16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16/25| Farm with US | full stats
    Recruiting

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    258
    Like others, I quit wars a while back due to frustrations with matchmaking. But when I did war, I felt like loot was the last thing on my mind. I enjoyed the competitive nature of the game, and looked forward to being online during the last 20-30 min when the last attacks were happening.

    Having said that, I think SuperCell should do what they can to encourage more casual clans to war, and if increasing the loot bonus does that, then that would help the game.

  9. #9
    Forum Elder SuperStorm103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Warring!
    Posts
    2,780
    I only play this game for wars.

    I despise Builders Hall and farming/trophy pushing. Clan games are okay, but lately it feels like they are jamming them down our throats. So yeah, war and the social aspect of the game are the only reasons I play. Breaking down a base an planning an attack is the fun part of the game for me. Random raiding is just troop spamming and hoping for a good result. Couldn't care less about loot. I'm fine living off of collectors and a few war spoils.

    CoC has taken a back seat to other apps I have taken up now.
    Last edited by SuperStorm103; March 1st, 2018 at 05:44 PM.
    DeathStorm-10|22/23|2148*|FireStorm-10|17/20|2178*|SuperStorm-9|13/15|2147*
    DragonStorm-9|8/8|1529*|PerfectStorm-9|8/10|1428*|BrainStorm-10|10/16|1452*

  10. #10
    Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    NE England, UK.
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJackrabbit View Post
    I've played for several years and we always had the idea we don't war for loot. We war for other reasons.
    This definitely. War is war. Clan against clan. You farm to war. You don't war to farm.


    Quote Originally Posted by clashaddict9 View Post
    that's why we have different types of clans. if u like war and the challenge it bring, join a war clan. If u only like to farm join a farming clan. If u for some reason like to push, there is pushing clans. Then we got the odd FWA clans.
    Great post clash. Good advice for anyone reading.. would like to give positive rep for that, but wont let me.

    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnq View Post
    I know that clan wars can be fun, but are the rewards really worth it?

    Consider this scenario: as an almost maxed TH9 player (with not a very good war record), I should expect 700-800k loot bonus from 2 attacks in war—if we win. If we lose, then next to nothing.

    In Champions II League, the loot bonus is 225,000 gold/elixir, and I normally only attack bases with at least 250,000 gold/elixir, preferably 400k+. I almost always win with at least 1 Star, usually above 70% to get the full loot bonus during a typical raid. That means in a raid, I’ll net ~500-700k per attack. Every 2 attacks is typically much more than I’d get in war—again, IF we win at war.

    Raiding is of course much faster and a much more reliable way of getting loot. Sure, war loot goes to the treasury—but so does the daily 5-Star loot bonuses and clan games loot. Yes, wars increase your Clan XP and unlock Clan Perks, but what if your clan is already lv 10+?

    Clan wars take time, a full 24 hours to “prepare” (is that really necessary?), and 24 hours to attack, so at most 1 war every 2 days. Meanwhile with boosted troops, you can raid 8-9 times an hour or so.

    Why even bother with war from a loot perspective? Why even bother warring at all once your clan is level 10+ besides entertainment or practice?

    Is there anyone else who feels that:

    1) War loot needs to be massively increased, so that win or lose the war, you’ll always get more loot than a typical raid and
    2) There needs to be some other benefit to war, such as magical items or having personal war stars becoming a “currency” as suggested in the past.

    What are your thoughts? Think I’m being too harsh or cynical? Do you think the benefits to war as is are fine or need to be adjusted? How do you fare at war?

    Of course my opinions might not be popular and I’m admittedly not very good at war. Also wars are a completely optional feature of the game and not for everyone, but shouldn’t it really be *worth it* to war and win?
    aargh. Accountants shouldn't do clan wars mate. War is for the fun of winning. I have a feeder account that sits out and feeds everybody with the high level cc troops. One of the few rules I have is, if you cant afford war, then opt out.

    I share your frustration, about not being very good at war. Their in lies the challenge. we have some big halls but can only do TH9 attacks. The fun part is putting a roster together, that can compete with a level of incompetency in our skill levels. When the draw spits out opposition your weights can compete with, its as good a feeling as the actual win itself. The MM is working well at present, and even using rushed accounts, we won last one. We finally have a streak, tho still in its infancy, up to 4.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •