Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of a 0.5 base

Definition of a 0.5 base

Currently in my clan there's a debate and several different views as to what a 0.5 base actually is and I wondered if it's the same elsewhere. My view is that say Ur a maxed th9 u move upto th10 but keep th9 defences and max troops out at th10 then that is what I would consider as a 0.5 base, am I right or am I wrong ?. If wrong I would love too know the official definition of a 0.5 base
    Cheers and happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by shagzy View Post
    Currently in my clan there's a debate and several different views as to what a 0.5 base actually is and I wondered if it's the same elsewhere. My view is that say Ur a maxed th9 u move upto th10 but keep th9 defences and max troops out at th10 then that is what I would consider as a 0.5 base, am I right or am I wrong ?. If wrong I would love too know the official definition of a 0.5 base
    Cheers and happy hunting
    .5 is supposed to be a temporary solution. If you are a TH10 with a max lab and Heroes with TH9 defense I would definitely call you engineered.

Now if you had your Camps, Spell Factory and a few select war troops done and let's say 65 combined levels of Heroes with no Infernos, that could be considered a
    .5 imo.

The old .5 definition was a base that had all defenses in it except the Bows for TH9, Infernos for TH10 and Eagle for TH11. Aside from living out these defense units, all else was maxed for the TH level. There were variations of this, some left a bow or an inferno, or other defense units out while all else was maxed for the TH level.

I would suppose that a new TH10 that maxes offense first and leaves defense at TH9 could be classified as a .5, but that is not what most mean by .5.
    Last edited by iBork; January 10th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Leader of Fortress X
    https://www.clashofstats.com/clans/fortress-x-2QJ99CGP/members

"The value of a datum or a field of data is modified by the viewpoint of the observer."

Quote Originally Posted by Nuitari View Post
    .5 is supposed to be a temporary solution. If you are a TH10 with a max lab and Heroes with TH9 defense I would definitely call you engineered.

Now if you had your Camps, Spell Factory and a few select war troops done and let's say 65 combined levels of Heroes with no Infernos, that could be considered a
    .5 imo.
    But what defence updates does that stop at? Lets say you have those things upgraded as you say but in the mean time you have upgraded your Air Defence and hidden Telsas and hidden bombs etc Would that still be a .5? That would seem tough to me.

For me anyway, a .5 has always been either a th9 without xbows, a th10 without infernos or a th11 without an eagle regardless of their other defences.

A th11 without an eagle AND infernos or even xbows for that matter, a th10 without infernos AND xbows, I've always just lumped them together as engineers.

I'm sure there will be others who mention the 9.11's or the 8.75's, but I find thats just to complicated.
    Leader of Alberta United #9YQYU0P2. Lv15, 534 fair play wins and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by dayone View Post
    For me anyway, a .5 has always been either a th9 without xbows, a th10 without infernos or a th11 without an eagle regardless of their other defences.

A th11 without an eagle AND infernos or even xbows for that matter, a th10 without infernos AND xbows, I've always just lumped them together as engineers.

I'm sure there will be others who mention the 9.11's or the 8.75's, but I find thats just to complicated.
    I am pretty much with you in present usage of the term. Anything with any upgraded war offence but missing the characteristic heavy war weight defence item for the th level I call a 0.5. I’ll call it a “heavy 0.5” if it’s everything or a lot maxed but still missing that xbow, inferno or eagle. Both I call “engineered” - since that just means war weight conscious building. I’ll call something “heavily engineered” anywhere from if it is missing two of those down to the extreme engineered end of the th11 one cannon wonder.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 14 International clan
    We welcome strong TH10 and TH11 adult players with big heros for fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Active builder base, and must know where the donate button is!

.5 definition has always been not getting the biggest upgrades at each town hall level.

8.5 = TH9 without xbows
    9.5 = TH10 without Infernoes
    10.5 = Th11 without eagle

.75 is reserved for bases that do not upgrade either of the next two additional town hall levels. For example,

9.75 = TH11 without infernoes and eagle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shagzy View Post
    Cheers and happy hunting
    I wholly agree with you. The name appears to have primarily come from an attempt to gain favorable war matchups.

Way back when, I looked up old war strategies and not only was that the exact definition, that was the strategy to keep war weight down. At one point, the idea was to use no more than 50% of your war roster this way, as you still needed to defend, lest you'd get 100% against you (i.e. an entire war roster of TH9s, with nothing but TH8 defenses, nor any new defenses, would likely get smoked fairly easily).

The 0.5/50% reference made some sense as well, as (in theory), you maxed out your offense (50% of total TH development?), but defenses were largely ignored (save for dumping excess gold/elixir into walls and/or upgrading traps, both of which used to have minor impact on MM) so you still had "50%" to develop. You wanted your, say, TH9 mirror to be a TH8, as they will likely have a much harder time clearing you than vice-versa. And while it sure wasn't going to work all the time, each time it happened, you often forced, "down/bully" attacks in the enemy clan that you don't otherwise need to execute. This created a war advantage and the more it happened, the bigger the edge

Somewhere along the line, this definition moved. Actually, it never moved in my/my clans' minds, but it did with others. Some definitions don't even make sense to me.

.5 not meaning 50% (directed towards offense) would be strange. A totally max TH9, save for dropping xbows or a totally max TH10 sans ITs don't make any sense whatsoever to be considered 0.5s. Even under the old MM, such a strategy sure wasn't likely going to give you that kick in the pants and that was the entire friggin point--you wanted an edge in the MM!

Seldom would someone intentionally build a TH to gain a favorable war matchup and then upgrade it to max, save for a few defenses. That wouldn't work then, to say nothing about now. It makes me scratch my head how this definition has evolved for some. A, say, TH9 with a strong offense will paste a TH8 almost mindlessly. The same TH9, however, won't necessarily smoke a max TH9 without xbows, to say nothing about as easy as 3* a TH8

But, what do I know???
    Last edited by Dayewalker; January 11th, 2018 at 01:45 AM.

My understanding is that a .5 is when you've maxed the previous townhall and upgraded to the next. Here, you don't buy any new defenses until you have maxed or near maxed your offense.
    On the other hand a .75 is when you get new defenses excluding ones that are unique to the town hall and/or carry more war weight than usual.

Example:
    A th9 with the same level and amount of defenses as a th8. No xbows or new th9 defenses. This is a .5
    a th9 with all additional defenses unlocked at th9 except xbows is a .75

Edit: I don't think that .5/.75 is engineering because to me engineering is when you don't max defenses before the next townhall; usually .5 is a temporary stage, but when it becomes permanent and carries on to the next th, then it is engineering. In my opinion as long as you get and upgrade all the defenses before you head to the next th, no matter what point in your progression of that specific townhall, then it is not engineering per say.. more like delaying building (s)- they are not permanently omitted from your base. However when they are they I consider it engineering.
    Last edited by daturtle495; January 11th, 2018 at 04:04 AM.

Pro Member
    .5 is no added/upgraded defense from the new TH level. Offensive upgrades only