Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definition of a 0.5 base

Somewhere in a clearing in a magical forest
    Lol everyone here trying to pretend .5 isn't engineering. By definition .5 is engineering. You can't pretend to be above engineers in that way because not matter how you slice it you are intentionally upgrading offense far more than defense making you an engineer.

@OP .5 is generally when someone moves up a th and doesn't drop any new defenses aside from traps and focuses all upgrades on offense (lab, camps, heroes, etc). It is worth noting that 8.5s are completely obsolete at this point so the only real .5s you'll see are 9.5s and 10.5s.
    Quote Originally Posted by powercage View Post
    Spring traps should eject a hero permanently. To get one back, you should have to purchase and upgrade again from scratch because it isnt the same hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    Strongly recommend TH 1.5. Don't build your cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaoboy View Post
    They're actually not hidden. There's a setting that toggles abandoned bases on or off. You just have to check the box to include abandoned bases in search.

Quote Originally Posted by twinblade123 View Post
    .5 definition has always been not getting the biggest upgrades at each town hall level.

8.5 = TH9 without xbows
    9.5 = TH10 without Infernoes
    10.5 = Th11 without eagle

.75 is reserved for bases that do not upgrade either of the next two additional town hall levels. For example,

9.75 = TH11 without infernoes and eagle
    TH11 without Infernos or Eagle is usually considered a 9.11

Level 16
    - 1,168/17,100
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 182] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

Quote Originally Posted by Krzeng9 View Post
    Lol everyone here trying to pretend .5 isn't engineering. By definition .5 is engineering. You can't pretend to be above engineers in that way because not matter how you slice it you are intentionally upgrading offense far more than defense making you an engineer.

@OP .5 is generally when someone moves up a th and doesn't drop any new defenses aside from traps and focuses all upgrades on offense (lab, camps, heroes, etc). It is worth noting that 8.5s are completely obsolete at this point so the only real .5s you'll see are 9.5s and 10.5s.
    And that is where you get into the definition battle. Th10 with max defenses minus infernos. Or new th10 holding off a bit until offense can handle the high weight of the inferno in war. Technically, they are both engineered. So is the player that upgrades archer towers instead of mortars first. There are many, many shades of gray. But in my opinion, there is a huge difference between a .5 and a one cannon, max heroes and attack troops th11. Also not a fan of the perma .5s either. Im more of a hold off a bit until you can have a fighting chance with the heavy defenses. So in a day when th10 upgrade finishes, I won't be dropping my infernos. However, I will drop them so I doubt I'll really meet a true .5 definition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzeng9 View Post

Huh?

Everyone is pretending that .5 isn't engineering? Where exactly are you getting that from??

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    And that is where you get into the definition battle. Th10 with max defenses minus infernos. Or new th10 holding off a bit until offense can handle the high weight of the inferno in war. Technically, they are both engineered. So is the player that upgrades archer towers instead of mortars first. There are many, many shades of gray. But in my opinion, there is a huge difference between a .5 and a one cannon, max heroes and attack troops th11. Also not a fan of the perma .5s either. Im more of a hold off a bit until you can have a fighting chance with the heavy defenses. So in a day when th10 upgrade finishes, I won't be dropping my infernos. However, I will drop them so I doubt I'll really meet a true .5 definition.
    Oh, there is an enormous difference, despite what many others might say. The issue in your example is the degree of lopsidedness. A 0.5 is lopsided, sure, but it's not even in the same universe as a defenseless, max offense TH11.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyIrishman View Post
    TH11 without Infernos or Eagle is usually considered a 9.11
    Am I reading this correctly?

A TH11 can have all max TH11 defenses, sans ITs and Eagle and be considered a 9.11? What the heck does the 9 represent?
    Last edited by Dayewalker; January 11th, 2018 at 03:19 AM.

Back in the older days, I consider .5 to be a transition to the next town hall level in the smartest way possible. A sort of metamorphosis into a true next level town hall. Just because the building changes color doesn't mean you are a true town hall X. Until you can attack and possibly defend against your equal, your town hall doesn't matter what it says.

Like a butterfly in a cocoon, the little worm becomes a butterfly while working on new levels of offense and defense emerging a new being. However, people took it further and didn't drop their defenses ever making .5 no longer a transition stage but the gateway drug of engineering.

I still believe in the .5 path in the beginning to help ease the transition to the next town hall level. However its the ones that max all offense and other defenses that never drop the heavy stuff is what gave .5 a bad name.
    Dawn of the Dark Dragons, an event by Kenchafer

http://forum.supercell.com/showthrea...e-Dark-Dragons

Somewhere in a clearing in a magical forest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    Yes you are correct. However calling defenseless bases the only way to engineer is just wrong. (Not saying you are but many seem to believe that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayewalker View Post
    Huh?

Everyone is pretending that .5 isn't engineering? Where exactly are you getting that from??
    Sorry my grammar wasn't on point. I meant more "Lol at those in this thread who said .5 isn't engineering" with "everyone" meaning all of the posters who said that, not literally every poster in this thread. Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by powercage View Post
    Spring traps should eject a hero permanently. To get one back, you should have to purchase and upgrade again from scratch because it isnt the same hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    Strongly recommend TH 1.5. Don't build your cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaoboy View Post
    They're actually not hidden. There's a setting that toggles abandoned bases on or off. You just have to check the box to include abandoned bases in search.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayewalker View Post
    Huh?

Oh, there is an enormous difference, despite what many others might say. The issue in your example is the degree of lopsidedness. A 0.5 is lopsided, sure, but it's not even in the same universe as a defenseless, max offense TH11.

Am I reading this correctly?

A TH11 can have all max TH11 defenses, sans ITs and Eagle and be considered a 9.11? What the heck does the 9 represent?
    The 9.11 is called that because it is missing the eagle and inferno, ie missing the bits that would have you call it a “true” 10 or 11. So 9.11 is used to signal that it has th11 offence with the full set of th9 defences in place (plus however many extra upgrades or new defence items it has, provided those specifically exclude inferno and eagle).
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 16 International clan
    We welcome strong TH11 and TH12 adult players with big heros for relaxed fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Must know where the donate button is!

Outlined below are some historical outlines of X.5 that I posted many moons ago :-

-----

There's quite a lot of disjointed posts these days about X.5.

The trouble is of course that :-
    1) The game moves on, and definitions sway/turn from it's origins.
    2) The term X.5 itself was originally defined by the (war) community itself, and as such is always subject to ambiguity, misinterpretation.

Disclaimer :- The history of X.5 (and in particular 9.5) goes back well before the videos I have linked below.

Lets go back to some easily identifiable historic information, as linked below :-

1) Hulk Files (The Green Man) TH10 Progression 13th February 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pxv6BjZg3w

Hulk, one of the original innovators of TH9 War strategy attacks (in particular HoLo) showing his 9.5 progression base. From a fully maxed TH9 (with Maxed 30/30 Heroes and complete lava walls), he shows off is base upgrading farming and war troops, and Heroes, with no new defence buildings added. He has built his new traps.

In the video, Hulk suggested he was going to make a manifesto video of TH9.5 progression, but as far as I'm aware, this video never saw the light of day, because Hulk quit the game shortly after, for "his own" reasons!

2) Jake from OneHive Being a TownHall 9.5 in Clash 4th March 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_Ta8SzftY

Again, Jake goes through the potential benefits of TH9.5, no new defences added, but focus on offence to "build their offence up, to a point where they can take out TH10's, before they start building those TH10 defences"

Note : At this point, lots (but not all) players believed that your Gold Storages was your war weight, which subsequently was shown to be false. Lots of Youtubers incorrectly published similar weight messages, but hey, I digress...

To summarise these videos :-

The whole point of 9.5, was to upgrade your TH10 Offence so that you were "capable" of 3 starring opponents TH10's. To do this you needed Max TH9 plus Heroes.
    TH9.5 was never a upgrade path with the focus on dipping, or 3 star TH9's. This is a common misconception

Now, fast forward to post March 2016, where the MM changes pushed further focus on Offensive upgrading over defence, and we begin to see new progression paths :-

a) The traditional fully max TH9s (with 30/30 Heroes and full lavas) upgrading TH10 offence, are still there. These players always intend to drop Infernos because, by definition, they are MAXERS!
    b) The 'Perma 9.5s' , with up to 40/40 Heroes up to full Offence. These players (pre October 2016) had no intention of building Infernos... ever. In fact often (but not always), they were Maxers turned ENGINEERS. In my opinion, this is where the whole 'X.5 is Engineering' debate began to gather speed, as the community began to see more and more of these bases.
    c) The 'Premmie 9.5' , a non maxed TH9 (with eg possibly 20/20 Heroes) RUSHING to TH10 to get those level 5 Valks etc for war. I like to refer to these players as TH9.25.

In particular, if we consider c), the Premmie/Rushed 9.5s(9.25s), and compare them with the original historical concept of 9.5, there is quite a difference.

The original concept or goal of a TH9.5 was taking out TH10's or other 9.5s, not dipping, or 2 starring mid TH10's with 20/20 Heroes.

However, as I stated at the top of this post, the game moves on, and history becomes legend, and legend becomes myth, and....

--------

It should be noted that much of the above relates to certain clans and their own opinions, and whether some of these statements are really relevant to the average war participator is more than valid, but I hope this helps!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 12 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...H8-s-to-TH11-s My spec: mid TH11, 50/45/20

Quote Originally Posted by Skrags View Post
    Outlined below are some historical outlines of X.5 that I posted many moons ago :-

-----

There's quite a lot of disjointed posts these days about X.5.

The trouble is of course that :-
    1) The game moves on, and definitions sway/turn from it's origins.
    2) The term X.5 itself was originally defined by the (war) community itself, and as such is always subject to ambiguity, misinterpretation.

Disclaimer :- The history of X.5 (and in particular 9.5) goes back well before the videos I have linked below.

Lets go back to some easily identifiable historic information, as linked below :-

1) Hulk Files (The Green Man) TH10 Progression 13th February 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pxv6BjZg3w

Hulk, one of the original innovators of TH9 War strategy attacks (in particular HoLo) showing his 9.5 progression base. From a fully maxed TH9 (with Maxed 30/30 Heroes and complete lava walls), he shows off is base upgrading farming and war troops, and Heroes, with no new defence buildings added. He has built his new traps.

In the video, Hulk suggested he was going to make a manifesto video of TH9.5 progression, but as far as I'm aware, this video never saw the light of day, because Hulk quit the game shortly after, for "his own" reasons!

2) Jake from OneHive Being a TownHall 9.5 in Clash 4th March 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_Ta8SzftY

Again, Jake goes through the potential benefits of TH9.5, no new defences added, but focus on offence to "build their offence up, to a point where they can take out TH10's, before they start building those TH10 defences"

Note : At this point, lots (but not all) players believed that your Gold Storages was your war weight, which subsequently was shown to be false. Lots of Youtubers incorrectly published similar weight messages, but hey, I digress...

To summarise these videos :-

The whole point of 9.5, was to upgrade your TH10 Offence so that you were "capable" of 3 starring opponents TH10's. To do this you needed Max TH9 plus Heroes.
    TH9.5 was never a upgrade path with the focus on dipping, or 3 star TH9's. This is a common misconception

Now, fast forward to post March 2016, where the MM changes pushed further focus on Offensive upgrading over defence, and we begin to see new progression paths :-

a) The traditional fully max TH9s (with 30/30 Heroes and full lavas) upgrading TH10 offence, are still there. These players always intend to drop Infernos because, by definition, they are MAXERS!
    b) The 'Perma 9.5s' , with up to 40/40 Heroes up to full Offence. These players (pre October 2016) had no intention of building Infernos... ever. In fact often (but not always), they were Maxers turned ENGINEERS. In my opinion, this is where the whole 'X.5 is Engineering' debate began to gather speed, as the community began to see more and more of these bases.
    c) The 'Premmie 9.5' , a non maxed TH9 (with eg possibly 20/20 Heroes) RUSHING to TH10 to get those level 5 Valks etc for war. I like to refer to these players as TH9.25.

In particular, if we consider c), the Premmie/Rushed 9.5s(9.25s), and compare them with the original historical concept of 9.5, there is quite a difference.

The original concept or goal of a TH9.5 was taking out TH10's or other 9.5s, not dipping, or 2 starring mid TH10's with 20/20 Heroes.

However, as I stated at the top of this post, the game moves on, and history becomes legend, and legend becomes myth, and....

--------

It should be noted that much of the above relates to certain clans and their own opinions, and whether some of these statements are really relevant to the average war participator is more than valid, but I hope this helps!
    Excellent outline, Skrags...thank you.
    Playing since December 2012
    Accounts:
    JFSoul; Colin's Fury; JS Navy; 5 TH10/9s
    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." Leo Tolstoy

The ".5s are NOT engineering" team is almost exclusively players that run .5s, and believe their's something wrong with engineering. So they come up with a mechanistic definition of engineering precisely calibrated to exclude .5s but includes anything that goes slightly beyond.

So don't build an xbow because you're concerned about the weight/matchmaking effect, that's a sensible upgrade path. Don't build a mortar because you're concerned about the weight/matchmaking effect, that's an entirely different mindset and strategy lets call that engineering.
    It's always the closet engineers that are the most bitter. Trying to maintain a righteous pose while doing exactly what they claim to hate, lashing out at anyone that points out the obvious.