Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All about Tom -- best practices, tips, and advice

All about Tom -- best practices, tips, and advice

Okay, so we finally managed to save up 15 diamonds and have bought Tom for a day. I know there was a thread on the forum about the best use of Tom, but I can't search for it because all the words in my search string are too common! GRRR

So we have Tom for 1 day, and so far this morning we have been sending him after jellybeans. Later this morning and afternoon we think we will send him after shovels. The Peachie co-farmer and I are not sure how many jellybeans are enough though -- she likes them more than shovels, and I like shovels more than jellybeans. ha ha

Any more or better advice about Tom from those of you who use him frequently? We are just trying to build a stock of the jellybeans, since they take 24 hours and 2 jams + 1 sugar to make.

I have already discovered that the max he will bring you is 9 of your requested item. If he doesn't bring 9, you can tell him you don't want what he has brought. In 2 minutes he will go and fetch again.

ALL OTHER TIPS AND ADVICE ABOUT TOM AND YOUR STRATEGIES FOR USING HIM ARE HEARTILY WELCOMED

Thank you all in advance for your wisdom

Lev 133/Rep Lev 34 US Central Time Zone (GMT-6) FIELD ARTIST, STORYTELLER, and FROG WRANGLER 132/137 AchievementsProud Graduate of the University of Texas -- HOOK 'EM HORNS!! Thx PEACHIE for AWESOME sig pic! DONE with permits May 2019 - Opting out of this BORING grind for bad decos. Sanctuary: Adults complete 25 Dec 2017. Babies complete: 06 Jun 2019

I use him for shovels and jewellery as you get vouchers for jewellery truck orders.

Forum Veteran
    If you have enough room in your barn (who ever has ENOUGH?), I would suggest buying just shovels first, and using them immediately. It will generate a ton of ore, but that way you can be sure to find out if you will get enough diamonds back to "pay" for Tom. Once you've generated enough shovels to give you your 15 diamonds back, then anything else is basically free. I do this about once a week because it takes time to run through all the ore in my smelters.

Also, diamond Rings are a good item since they consume diamonds. If you are going to make rings eventually, then you should just go ahead and let Tom grab 9-18 at some point instead of using the diamonds individually.

The only other suggestion I would make is to make sure your settings are enabled to give you notifications. You should receive a notification on your device when Tom is ready for another order after every 2 hours.

I do NOT recommend setting an alarm to wake you in the middle of the night (as some posted have claimed to do) just so you can buy 9 more jellybeans. That borders on unhealthy!
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450
    134/144 Achievements Complete

If my DD reads this I'm going to catch so much flack, but...I used him last week for the first time (since the newbie freebie) to help me stock up on both cheeses and syrup. I just couldn't get ahead with those items and feel so much better, especially since I already had a lot of shovels on hand. Once I get the candy machine I imagine I'll use him again.

And it helps if you wake up in the middle of the night wide awake, then you just take a moment to send Tom out again. I think I only lost one or two trips of his to sleep (mine).
    Shea
    Level: 83 (how on earth did THAT happen?!); Town level 21; TT III; Captain III; BSH3; 107/108
    I play daily and help a lot and appreciate those lovelies who help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shealie54 View Post
    If my DD reads this I'm going to catch so much flack, but...I used him last week for the first time (since the newbie freebie) to help me stock up on both cheeses and syrup. I just couldn't get ahead with those items and feel so much better, especially since I already had a lot of shovels on hand. Once I get the candy machine I imagine I'll use him again.

And it helps if you wake up in the middle of the night wide awake, then you just take a moment to send Tom out again. I think I only lost one or two trips of his to sleep (mine).
    Ah but the trouble with getting up in the middle of the night or even just earlier than you want to be up, is that while you wait for him to come back, you see your pigs looking uncomfortable and your best friend (who lives on the other side of the world) with her boat flagged and oooh look who's selling bolts, and maybe someone else is also, and I'll just open this toolbox, oh I'd better get back to Tom! oh I have some cream ready! I should cue up some more! no Tom I don't want just seven shovels! better cue up the sugar too! and send off that great truck order! oh rats my boat came when I opened the game! Ah Tom is back up, try again lazy boy! oh I can fill this boat if I flag those last two crates! I better use that ore in the smelter! and cue up some more jams. Ok Tom that's better, go get those nine silver bars! oh my my pets are asleep, I'd better feed them and wake them up, oops out of milk, I'll just milk enough to feed the cats. And cue up more dairy, and make some more chocolate bars! now there's not enough room in the barn for what Tom brought, maybe I can fill some boats, ooh those trees need reviving. Ah heck. I might as well get up.

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

The following information is usefull to people who use Tom for only 1 day.

Pick the right moment to hire tom. during the week sometimes I wake up in the middel of the night, cause its too hot, too cold, im thirsty or I have to go to the toilet. This is a perfect moment for hiring tom. Cause when u wake up tom is directly available again. this is a free extra run, u normally wouldnt be able to make cause normal people dont plan to wake up in the middle of the night.

send tom, close hay day and open set your timer 2:00 later. When u log in Tom will be direct available. U ofcourse can do this all day until u go to sleep. assuming u started in the middel of the night (3:00), u wake up at 7:00, and go to sleep at 23:00. u can send him at 3-7-9-11-13-15-17-19-21-23. This does NOT work out though. Because u wont accept it if tom brings u 7 items, u will have a delay every time u resend him. I personally accept 8-9 but not 7. So in practise u will be able to send him 9 instead of 10 times a day.

if u accept 8 and 9, thats 8.5 on average. 9x8.5 = around 76 items.
    This is around the maximum of items u can get in 1 day without setting alarm clocks during the night.
    ---------------------------

What u send tom for depends on your goals. If u need tickets for decorations, animals or fishing, obviously jewelry is a verry good choice. Diamond rings mainly and 1-2 runs of necklaces. Jewelry truck orders offer alot of money. So lower levels in need of money, will also make a great choice by buying jewerly.

If u need maximum experience (on truck orders) choclate bars, jelly beans, lollypops, apple caramels, lobster soups, etc are a great choice.

If u try to boost your boat score points, use tom to help u with boat, or stock up on jams, soups, and other items people often ask for in their boats.
    --------------------------

My first 5 runs would defnitly be shovels. this will repay me around 8-9 diamonds. The other 4 runs I tend to get 2x jelly beans, 1x diamond rings, 1x choclate bar. Because I already got 8-9 diamonds back, I only have to find 5-6 more diamonds to hire tom again. This is quite easy by achievments, fishing, finding a box with diamonds, finding more shovels by harvesting and getting new diamonds from mine, etc.

Sometimes when i run out of jelly beans / choclate bar or diamond rings. I go to the forums. Trade like 10 BEM for 30 shovels. This gives me the diamonds I need to hire tom again. Then I repeat.

This means I can get around 4x8.5 items = 34 items of my choice, for 10 BEM. I only tend to do this if I foudn no diamonds that week.
    GC: 007ich // My Lvl: 182 // My KIK: 007ich

Each time I hire tom I try and plan my time efficiently to get full value for paying for Tom, note that I normally take the five day term. After hiring tom I look at what I have and what I need, and create a little table as such.

It is just me showing the date, time I recieve Tom and what to ask for, so I know exactly what time I am expecting tom, as well as what to ask for to save wasting time, giving me the full maximum value of what I paid for Tom!

Date
    Time
    Item
    18:45
    Cherry Jam

20:45
    Fish Pie

22:45
    Apple Jam

00:45
    Blackcurrent Jam

08:00
    Cheesecake

10:00
    Strawberry Ice Cream

Add me on GC: LeeInnes

Daily Player on Level 58
    101/129 Achievements
    Silo: 825 Barn: 875

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr129 View Post
    Ah but the trouble with getting up in the middle of the night or even just earlier than you want to be up, is that while you wait for him to come back, you see your pigs looking uncomfortable and your best friend (who lives on the other side of the world) with her boat flagged and oooh look who's selling bolts, and maybe someone else is also, and I'll just open this toolbox, oh I'd better get back to Tom! oh I have some cream ready! I should cue up some more! no Tom I don't want just seven shovels! better cue up the sugar too! and send off that great truck order! oh rats my boat came when I opened the game! Ah Tom is back up, try again lazy boy! oh I can fill this boat if I flag those last two crates! I better use that ore in the smelter! and cue up some more jams. Ok Tom that's better, go get those nine silver bars! oh my my pets are asleep, I'd better feed them and wake them up, oops out of milk, I'll just milk enough to feed the cats. And cue up more dairy, and make some more chocolate bars! now there's not enough room in the barn for what Tom brought, maybe I can fill some boats, ooh those trees need reviving. Ah heck. I might as well get up.
    This is hilarious Tigggerr! But what's really sad, is that it's sooooo accurate!
    GC & KIK: BulldogLover63
    Current friend list is full, so only accepting friend requests from forum posters. Please request thru private message (PM) first; "raiders" need not apply! Level: 105, daily player. I do not fill sugar/dairy/soy/lobster boat requests, nor ask that from anyone. For trading purposes: Higher level purchases first and I pay full price, you pay 1 coin.

Stuck on the sofa as I've eaten far too much chocolate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr129 View Post
    Oh Tigger, that was sooooooo funny, I'm shattered just reading it. I haven't used Tom in ages, mainly for the above reason. The farm rules my life enough & Ive certainly NEVER been ruled by a man, many have tried ! ( oh & I just let my hubby think he does ! ). Ops got to go my hubby's just walked in & he needs his tea . Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogLover View Post
    This is hilarious Tigggerr! But what's really sad, is that it's sooooo accurate!
    Worse yet is that I didn't make any of it up. Sometimes in the morning before I actually wake up, I dream that I am trying to get up but always go back to bed because I am sooo tired. Lately, I am dreaming that I should get up to send Tom or do some other Hayday chore, but can't because I am soooo tired. I remember these dreams because I am in that in between state of sleep. It is pathetic in that this goofy game is getting into my dreams. As of this morning, I was telling myself, to just go back to sleep because it is just a stupid game. But of course if I had actually hired Tom yesterday, I might have had a totally different frame of mind.......

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!