Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loot and trophies should be two different things!

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    On one end of the spectrum (current), you have BH6 going up against BH7 (possibly ones that dropped cups while upgrading). I have bad memories of BM crushing my town when I didn’t have one. I thought it was a glitch.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you have smart math gurus come up with a way to calculate strength for offense and defense and you are pit to fight against other players in your strength band, then it’s an equal fight. So if your defense is 100 and your offense is 50, you might fight someone who has 80 offense and 80 defense. Or maybe someone who has 45 offense and 90 defense. If someone chooses to max out (which really doesn’t apply to this idea), they would inadvertently boost their offense/defense strength and you (who doesn’t enjoy maxing out) would not encounter them. They would be in a band above you.

I posted back in the day for something like this on the main side years ago but it obviously didn’t take off. Maybe in another dimension of existence somewhere, making things fair make sense. It probably doesn’t mesh well with profit models somewhere along the line though. At BH7, I think we sometimes forget how frustrating it was being at the bottom.

I know I’m being overidealistic. I realize most of those unfair matches are against people who potentially paid good money. And that probably is why it’s designed the way it is. I’m a F2P player, so I don’t get a vote; I just get a rant :-)
    Unfortunately, none of us really get a vote; we can only make suggestions....

Generally speaking, I think the current system does this but in a less direct fashion. What you suggest above is why the Clan War matchmaker is so easily duped; it's scoring bases by what they have on the game grid. The BB does it differently, focusing instead on player performance. The four pillars I mentioned all factor into that performance and can fluctuate to effectively modify one's rating. A system that scores you based on your offense and defense only looks at capability and is much more rigid with nothing to address player performance/skill.. That would give certain players an edge (gemmers) and really improve the pay2win aspects of the game while hurting other players who are really good at the game but not as far advanced.

Would that really be bad though...? I dunno. The game would certainly be capability driven and those who rate less capable would be clustered together. The question becomes how much of each of the four pillars really should factor into one's rating. Is it predominantly a matter of offensive and defensive capability, or are attacking skills and base design (what you do with those capabilities) a bigger factor in the outcome? Perhaps more to the point - if the system were to shift, would the dominant factor change? Right now, it's more about what you do with what you have - that's why, as a BH4, I was able to defeat a fully deployed BH7 who was just awful at attacking and why many players simply whup up on BHx+1 all the time. If we shifted to a capability driven model, would it then become that players with more on the game grid were the better players?

Also...could such a system be as easily manipulated as Clan Wars' matchmaking? Would anyone really want to do so? See...players who don't max out but rather rush and are at a higher BH level would DEFINITELY end up going up against lower level players but it would be more distributed whereas under the current system it's more at the back half of development on a level. Whereas a mid-to-late BH5 typically fights early-to-mid BH6, under a scoring system you would have early BH6 matching to beginning mid level BH5 (same for other BH levels) simply because their base would score low while the others scored high. Depending upon how it's designed, maxers would likely find themselves going up against BHx+2 rushed players.

This is what I like about using trophies - short, sweet, and simple. It can't really be manipulated and it strongly favors the rushing style game play. I can see how the other idea would work but I'm not sold it would be better for my way of playing or where I think SC is heading with the game. I really think they're going to take the BB all the way to eSports and more, and a system like what we have now really weeds players out by performance well. Of course, I'm nobody in the big scheme of things so other than talking about it, I have no influence either way.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG20YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakakis View Post
    I could not have said it better myself! Thanks!
    Nothing is stopping you now from dropping in trophies to get easier attacks..... Based on what you agreed is a perfect system

It is no surprise some people like the PvP system on Bh better and others like the ability to farm low on Th better. The nice thing is you have a choice now and don’t have to play both, unless of course you want to. Anyway, OP, I guess my question is why don’t you upgrade to Bh7?
    Th11 here, several other accounts th8-10. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. Some tips/thoughts on Legends here. Engineers aren't the problem, they are the symptom of a problematic matchmaker. My Legends hope: PvP 5500+ with attack limit, leave rest same, including usual legends from 5000-5499 or, maybe even better, create a new 3rd trophy ladder for PvP and leave legends alone. Contact SC here

Centennial Club
    I think the current system works. Change requires a lot of work and tons of testing. A small change can cost a lot of money. And so I think thatís probably why we use a very simple trophy system.

I think the reason why it troubles me is because I compare it to other competitive type matchups. If you are a feather-weight boxer, you donít ever get so good that you get matched up against a heavy-weight boxer. If you are are a boxer, thereís only one reason why youíd take a fall on purpose (I.e. drop cups), and thatís usually because you get paid to do so, and itís usually considered unsportsmanlike. But somehow this cup system seems to have taken a life of itís own and become accepted. I guess you really canít compare it to real life, because it is just a game and it seems to work for most people. Iím not happy with it, but I have made it work for me, and the game still manages to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    I think the current system works. Change requires a lot of work and tons of testing. A small change can cost a lot of money. And so I think that’s probably why we use a very simple trophy system.

I think the reason why it troubles me is because I compare it to other competitive type matchups. If you are a feather-weight boxer, you don’t ever get so good that you get matched up against a heavy-weight boxer. If you are are a boxer, there’s only one reason why you’d take a fall on purpose (I.e. drop cups), and that’s usually because you get paid to do so, and it’s usually considered unsportsmanlike. But somehow this cup system seems to have taken a life of it’s own and become accepted. I guess you really can’t compare it to real life, because it is just a game and it seems to work for most people. I’m not happy with it, but I have made it work for me, and the game still manages to be fun.
    Well you could compare it to real life, but if you were going to then you wouldn’t use the boxer analogy because that starts by assuming weight classes as fundamental. You’d need a more apt metaphor that fit, say job hunting in various salary brackets maybe.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 13 International clan
    We welcome strong TH10 and TH11 adult players with big heros for fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Active builder base, and must know where the donate button is!