Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Builder Timing Bug? INFLATED

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Builder Timing Bug? INFLATED

Feel free to discuss Builder Timing Bug here.

Let's keep this one on topic.

Steve / Supercell
    Brand Marketing

Stop what you're doing and read these now:
    http://forum.supercell.net/forumdisp.../8-Forum-Rules

Full details of the "bug" in this post!

MAJOR UPDATE: ACCORDING TO THIS POST (CLICK), THE EXACT SAME IS HAPPENING IN HAYDAY AND BOOM BEACH.....

Help out: join the clan!
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...%21-Recruiting
    Help out: get the signature!
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...=1#post1270417

Before reading the rest of my post, you should know that the title of this thread is very misleading. As I hope you'll understand from my post, there is no question about this issue at all, there shouldn't be any questionmark. It's also not just restricted to builders. Explained below is a massive "bug" that affects every person playing this game, including you.

This thread is about a "bug" in the game which causes the time to be inflated (details below). The "bug" affects everyone playing this game, and is easily tested and proven. Sadly many people don't realize it until they're made aware and don't realize that they're being duped. If you, while reading this, are in that group... well, keep on reading
    This "bug" has been documented since at least November 2012, and has most likely been around since the beginning of CoC. See the bottom of this post for links to earlier threads.

The concepts affected by this time inflation are:
    - Builders constructing or improving a building
    - Laboratory upgrades
    - Resources being generated (mines, pumps, drills)
    - Troops and spells being created
    - Clan castle request timer
    - Hero sleep timer

Not affected:
    - Shield time
    - Push notifications

The time added (or 'lag' from now on) isn't smoothly spread over the duration of the upgrade; rather it's added in increments of a few seconds upon performing certain actions. Testing used to point to between 5 and 5 1/2 seconds added per increment, although it has recently increased with all reports averaging 10 seconds and peaks of 15 seconds added per increment.

The known causes all converge to the loading of one's village:

- Opening up and reloading the game (includes after "Are you there?" message)
    - Viewing replays
    - Returning from any visited village, which includes:
    --- Playing or just viewing a single player mission
    --- Attacking or just viewing through revenge
    --- Attacking or just viewing through matchmaking (note: you only return to your own village once regardless of how many bases you view at a time in matchmaking. You don't get multi-penalized as far as I know)
    --- Viewing other players' bases (top players, clanmates, people in general, revenge preparation, etc, etc)
    - Finally, according to Supercell's own support team, your base is also affected when it is loaded (for attack or viewing) by other people than yourself. This means that your times will also get inflated, even when you don't even spend a second online yourself. Every time a player gets the option to attack you (whether they take it or not) and every time someone decides to (for whatever reason) just check out your awesome base, time gets added to all the things affected.

It is very easy to test the problem and see it with your own eyes. A demonstration of how to do so is given in this video:

Note that you can recreate the effect with any of the affected concepts (the Archer Queen upgrade is merely an example) and with any of the ways to load your village (rebooting the app is also merely an example).
    Also, please note that there have been many pictures and videos posted of proof such as this one. It would clutter this post if I put them all in here, so I picked one that shows the essence of the problem in a fast and clear way.

Oh, and you thought the scam couldn't get worse than this? Well, it sure can. If you spend gems on boosting your barracks, spell factory, or mines/pumps/drills, the lag gets 'boosted' as a side-effect too. So you're just imposing a bigger lag on yourself. Thanks Supercell, just what we were looking for, paying for more lag! Lol...

So now you are probably thinking something along the lines of "well, if this has been known for over a year, why is it still here?"

There have been various people in this community who noticed it early on, and have worked hard to raise awareness and offer solutions. Throughout the threads, many solutions have been offered. Just a few examples include:
    - Fixing the bug outright (obviously preferred and required)
    - Effective compensation by subtracting 5 seconds for all affected issues per village load
    - Compensation in the form of reduced base building times (e.g. 4d 22h instead of the listed 5d, so that with the lag accounted for it is roughly the 5d that is to be expected)
    - Other forms of compensation, such as an increase in gems, so that those can be spent on instant-finishing the lagged portion of things.
    - And even more... these were just off the top of my head

So, with all this knowledge and wealth of ideas and solutions, what does Supercell do?
    Steve (Supercell) has stated repeatedly that there are no plans to fix this bug.

I'll have to ask you the following: please look again at the affected concepts mentioned at the top of this post. Do you see a trend? I do. These are all functions that can be sped up and/or instantly completed with gems.

Effectively, the only true resource in CoC is time. You get everything directly proportionate to the amount of time you spend in the game, be it waiting for upgrades or be it farming for walls/heroes, etc. Supercell's business concept is genius in its core: all they really sell, is time. Everything that can be gemmed, ultimately comes down to buying time.
    Many people have strict daily patterns: the same work times every weekday, therefore the same bedtime, etc. It is not right that after starting an update at for example 11pm, two weeks later it'll be done at 2am. This puts people with a 3-way dilemma:
    - Will I stay up? Obviously not reasonable for many people. Not to mention that it'll only be even later next time...
    - Will I leave my resources filled up overnight and the builder idle for many hours? Well, preferably not...
    - Or do I just gem the 2 hours that are left?

This is how people are being duped. They are forced into choosing between unwanted (and unnecessary) situations, and gemming. Thus, it is highly unethical to refuse to fix a "bug" that directly affects the product you sell. Even more so, when the vast majority of customers is unaware. And especially, potentially, if it's done intentionally.

Whether it was implemented intentionally or not, that's something only Supercell will ever know. However, it can be truthfully be stated by now that leaving it for what it is, thereby prolonging the duping of customers, is done intentionally. If Supercell truly valued the playing experience and corporate ethics above money, this would have been fixed (or at least announced and compensated) the very first update after becoming known to them. Supercell did not do so.

In my book, the continued ignoring and downplaying of this "bug" is nothing more than the continuation of what has become, or perhaps always has been, a scam.

Some references to other threads on this issue (Supercell's rug):
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...ta-update-info
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...mer-difference
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...training-delay
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...INFLATED-proof (49 pages)
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...g-timer-glitch
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...u-call-it-POLL
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...9-Did-you-know

Edit;
    It seems that there is some confusion about why this "bug" is commonly called a scam. The reason I call this "bug" a scam is because of following:

- Fact: this "bug" causes all times displayed in the game (with exception of shields) to be a misrepresentation of reality.
    - Fact: it's been present in the game for over a year, at the very least since November 2012, possibly/likely longer.
    - Opinion: it's been repeatedly presented to Supercell and explained in full detail, including how this "bug" is incentive to a habit of gemming that would otherwise not be present.
    - Opinion: Supercell has dismissed the "bug" with no reasonable prospect of it being fixed in the near future, thereby retaining its effect of additional gemming.
    - Opinion: Supercell has made no effort whatsoever to make this issue and its effects known to the general public and playerbase. Every attempt to do so has been player-initiated. A case could even be made for the opposite, i.e. that they're attempting to hide and cover it, but that topic is not for this message.

There are many definitions of "scam", the most commonly found ones being a "fraudulent scheme" and a "confidence trick". It's pretty clear that given the set of facts above, this "bug" and how it's being handled easily fit the definition for both:

Supercell gains trust by stating specific times for the affected issues, and by being a large, reputable developer their is initially no reason to question the times stated. As we all know, reality proves that the stated times are incorrect. Effectively, Supercell violates the trust players have in the stated times. Players are unaware of this, unless they manage to find it out themselves or from others, as Supercell does not inform them of this violation of trust. The vast majority of players either doesn't take notice, or ignores it, blame themselves making mistakes, etc. This leads to people gemming bits and pieces to keep upgrades on schedule, especially when the schedule is tight because of repetitive patterns such as work and sleep. Supercell accepts the gems and provides no prospect of change in the situation of the "bug", which still goes unnoticed by many.

Given how this is completely based on facts alone and perfectly fits the common definitions of a scam, I feel completely justified in stating it as a fact itself. If you are able to substantiate your believe that this "bug" is not a scam, please do so, and I will of course happily stop using the word if your reasoning makes more sense than mine.
    Last edited by Whynotnow; April 11th, 2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added new info
    (Feel free to copy and use this image by nathannathan1232 - thanks!)

Click here for a full, detailed explanation of the time lag bug mentioned in the picture!
    My posts are factual, my own opinion or a combination of both. I do not represent or speak on behalf of Supercell.

Banned
    Inside My Town Hall Playing Strip Poker With My Village Girls!
    I always start my upgrades at 8:00, just before I go to school, expecting that they would finish efficiently on time at 8:00 a few days later. It gets to a weekend and the upgrade is meant to finish at 8:00, and instead finally finishes 12:00. I don't really know why it happens but I have heard about it for ages now. What is the reason its sooo delayed and how can it be fixed?

I'm curious how daylight savings effect the game. Do they? (I did not get up at 3AM to see if my builders spazzed out when it turned back to 2AM)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenanths View Post
    I'm curious how daylight savings effect the game. Do they? (I did not get up at 3AM to see if my builders spazzed out when it turned back to 2AM)
    I too would be curious, but the timing of things are done server side, so we should only be affected if the servers are in a time-zone that is affected by clocks going forward and back. Otherwise we'd just change the time on our device and get faster upgrades.

Also I dont believe the clocks at SC go off the times anything was started...be it a building upgrade or training troops. Otherwise there is no reason for them not to finish on time. If I start a building upgrade at 14:45 on a Monday afternoon that should take 24 hours, they don't record that, otherwise it should know that 24hours from then would be 14:45 on Tuesday. Instead it seems to count (up or down) that time...it lags in counting...and finishes at 15:00 or something.

But I can't see SC disclosing exactly how it counts (apart from badly as anyone reading these threads will know) on the forum for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Icekool17 View Post
    I too would be curious, but the timing of things are done server side, so we should only be affected if the servers are in a time-zone that is affected by clocks going forward and back. Otherwise we'd just change the time on our device and get faster upgrades.

Also I dont believe the clocks at SC go off the times anything was started...be it a building upgrade or training troops. Otherwise there is no reason for them not to finish on time. If I start a building upgrade at 14:45 on a Monday afternoon that should take 24 hours, they don't record that, otherwise it should know that 24hours from then would be 14:45 on Tuesday. Instead it seems to count (up or down) that time...it lags in counting...and finishes at 15:00 or something.

But I can't see SC disclosing exactly how it counts (apart from badly as anyone reading these threads will know) on the forum for all to see.
    Yeah, I was wondering if the servers have daylight savings. I guess not, meh.

Banned
    Hey Steve / Other Support peeps,

Will you actually be joining this 'discussion' any time soon?

Banned
    Hey Steve / Other Support peeps,

Will you actually be joining this 'discussion' any time soon?
    You can only hope, This issue has been going 12 months right ? If so I can't see them fixing it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr762 View Post
    You can only hope, This issue has been going 12 months right ? If so I can't see them fixing it.
    Over 12 months...

http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...highlight=time

I was already annoyed by it exactly 1 year ago!

Banned
    Over 12 months...

http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...highlight=time

I was already annoyed by it exactly 1 year ago!
    Tbh I can't see them fixing it then can you Ice ?