Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchmaker Mechanics

Matchmaker Mechanics

The matchmaker is simple. It pairs you up with an opponent with roughly as many trophies as you and who pressed "Attack!" at roughly the same time as you.

It does not care about what level your BH is*, what level your defenses are, what level your troops are, or how many times you say "please". The only determining factor when the game chooses an opponent for you is the number of trophies you have.

But determining where you fall on the trophy ladder IS determined by other factors that are totally within your control. The Builder Base utilizes a very well known rating system called “Elo” to build the trophy rankings. In short, your BH level is less a factor than your offensive and defensive capabilities, and your attacking and base building skills combined.

To further understand why we see unfair matchups with this system, check out Noctaire's thread here.

*As it happens, there is protection below 1500 trophies. Under this level, matches are also based on BH level to prevent powerful bases from trolling young bases

FAQ:

<Filled out as questions are frequently asked>
    Last edited by Tiler; November 21st, 2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Cloud Control - Why are clouds so terrible, and what are the possible ways to get rid of them?

Forum Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiler View Post
    The matchmaker is simple. It pairs you up with an opponents with roughly as many trophies as you.
    .. and who pressed "Find Now!" at the same time as you.

The fact that you are always able to find somebody to attack within your trophy range is a direct proof, that there are A LOT of players playing the Builder Base.

/Affront
    TH12-60/60/30|BH8-16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16/25| Farm with US | full stats
    Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Affront View Post
    .. and who pressed "Find Now!" at the same time as you.

The fact that you are always able to find somebody to attack within your trophy range is a direct proof, that there are A LOT of players playing the Builder Base.

/Affront
    To briefly play devil's advocate, people playing the BB doesn't equate them with enjoying it, rather, they're just doing it for wins.

I don't fit in that category. I helped write the directory, I obviously enjoy it

Regardless, I added that little bit anyway. It's true, after all
    Cloud Control - Why are clouds so terrible, and what are the possible ways to get rid of them?

MM does incorporate other factors in addition to trophies at very low trophy counts. A lot of youtubers who gemmed when the game was first released had max'd BH's but only like 300 trophies. They were matched with other max'd BH's instead of the other BH2 people at that same trophy range. So there was some other weighting factor used in MM. People have suspected that the break point where MM is based solely on trophies is around 2000.
    #1: HQ-22 XP-65 VP-390 * GBE-40-17-17-17 TH-33 TD-30-13-13 BH-31 BD-36
    #2: HQ-22 XP-65 VP-380 * GBE-42-17-17-17-17 TH-29 TD-27-13-13-13
    XP: 137 * TH9 BK30/AQ25 3266 Best * BH8 BM25 5020 Best
    King Level: 12 * Best Season: Challenger III * Cards: 88/89 * Current Favorite: Giant

Quote Originally Posted by smuckerskp View Post
    MM does incorporate other factors in addition to trophies at very low trophy counts. A lot of youtubers who gemmed when the game was first released had max'd BH's but only like 300 trophies. They were matched with other max'd BH's instead of the other BH2 people at that same trophy range. So there was some other weighting factor used in MM. People have suspected that the break point where MM is based solely on trophies is around 2000.
    I actually did have that included before I posted, but I retracted it because I don't have anything concrete I can point to. If you're able to find some numbers or something, I'll definitely add that information. Glad I'm not crazy in thinking that though. I thought that was all in my head

Why I'm facing A BH 7 on 1500 or less trophies? That technically shows the MM is based on Trophy?

Quote Originally Posted by SamirMishra View Post
    Why I'm facing A BH 7 on 1500 or less trophies? That technically shows the MM is based on Trophy?
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking about an unfair matchup or the mechanics of the matchmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiler View Post
    I actually did have that included before I posted, but I retracted it because I don't have anything concrete I can point to. If you're able to find some numbers or something, I'll definitely add that information. Glad I'm not crazy in thinking that though. I thought that was all in my head
    Only "concrete" proof I have is from Molts "Gemming to Max" video. He gemmed his BH while he still had super low trophies and was immediately only matched with other people who had max accounts too.
    #1: HQ-22 XP-65 VP-390 * GBE-40-17-17-17 TH-33 TD-30-13-13 BH-31 BD-36
    #2: HQ-22 XP-65 VP-380 * GBE-42-17-17-17-17 TH-29 TD-27-13-13-13
    XP: 137 * TH9 BK30/AQ25 3266 Best * BH8 BM25 5020 Best
    King Level: 12 * Best Season: Challenger III * Cards: 88/89 * Current Favorite: Giant

Quote Originally Posted by smuckerskp View Post
    Only "concrete" proof I have is from Molts "Gemming to Max" video. He gemmed his BH while he still had super low trophies and was immediately only matched with other people who had max accounts too.
    Thanks. I'll look into that after work and include a link to the video. That's good enough for me

Forum Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamirMishra View Post
    BH7 staying at 1500 is useless, while th11 can stay in silver/gold