Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plays what?

Who plays what?

This been a lot of comments on here by people saying they don't play (or do play only) BhB, and claims about the popularity of different parts of the game, without any real evidence. So… being a data person I thought I would sample some random(*) players from the API to see what they were actually doing.

(* not totally random: I searched for random clans level 3+ and with 10+ players to avoid wasting too much time getting dead clans/players from the API. My search also only found clans with at least some Latin alphabet characters in their name. And clanless players can't be included - although I would guess they are typically fairly inactive)

I ended up with just under 32,000 players who seem to have played the game over a fortnight running from just before the BH7 update to just before the BH FC update. I looked at whether players' season wins (main base), war stars, and/or total BH wins increased over the time. The 32,000 included only players where at least one of these increased.

This is the breakdown of the combinations of game modes where players gained wins:

Most players are playing multiple parts of the game. Of the three modes, war is the one with the least participants. However, this probably understates war and overstates BhB slightly because:
    - this was just after a BhB update
    - some players opt out of war for significant periods due to missing heroes et cetera. If I looked at the 2 individual weeks separately, the number of players participating in BhB and MP didn't change much; but a significant number of war players only participated in one week. Therefore I surmise some may have been opted out of both weeks involuntarily
    - this captures ANY BhB loot gain. However it is possible to war a bit and fail to gain profile stars; this also won't detect any FW - ie any league war. Likewise it is possible to loot in main base with barch or goblins and gain few, if any, wins

Anecdotally there are quite a few people who play BhB a bit in order to obtain the gear-ups but don't like it much. We can't see what is going on in peoples' minds, but we can see how much they are playing BhB. This is the breakdown of the number of wins/week (rounded down):

It's noticeable that although only about a quarter don't touch BhB, there are a LOT more people who seem to only be playing it minimally. Someone just doing the 3 wins per day would be on 21 wins per week (plus or minus a little bit because they might have stacked up 2 days at the beginning or end) - which is represented by the green segment.

However, the biggest segment above are players getting less than 1 win per day. And players getting 2 wins per day or less account for over three quarters of the total. The number of players in my sample getting noticeably more than their loot wins for either practice or pushing is only about one in 20.

There's also an interesting difference if the same chart is run for only TH 11 players: (2648 players)

compared to only TH9 players: (9871 players counted):

At TH 11 number of people seem to get their 3 wins per day (more or less) is now roughly equal to those barely playing (<1 win per day). Presumably a lot of people with max bases are therefore playing BhB more than the general population.
    Various data posts: Who plays what? CWL data 1 (stars), 2 (3* rates), 3 (rosters), 4 (start times and other) Data at end of old Legends And (non-data) how max bases are ordered in war
    --------------------
    Forum cup organiser. The forum cup discord server is: https://discord.gg/KEUxV2e

Fantastic stuff, ty Onyx!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 15 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...10-s-to-TH12-s My Spec : Early TH12.

wow. That a lot of data. What do you think this all means?

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to do it!

My experience has been similar. I started playing the BB even though I didn't particularly care for it and would make sure I got in the 3 wins a day. Once I got far enough to get the AT gear up I could barely summon up the interest to do one win a day let alone keep up with the 3!
    Even with the current builder event I don't feel the need to get any attacks in.

For context I am a very active player on the main base and if any event comes up there I am all over it!
    Last edited by NightsWatchMB; October 13th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.

Lady Maverick
    Appreciate your time,effort and patience you've put into this.
    For me..
    "3 wins a day, keeps the builder base away"

Awesome break down of the data...thank you for doing this. Confirms what I'm seeing in my clan and friends' clans.
    Playing since December 2012
    Accounts:
    JFSoul; Colin's Fury; JS Navy; 5 TH10/9s
    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." Leo Tolstoy

Banned
    I like pies.

Forum Superstar
    as a th11 i play more builder base (especially between 2 main base attacks)

when i have CT boost available, my play cycle goes this way mostly

login - builder base attack - main base donation/request/re-arm/remove obstacles etc - builder base attack - main base attack + heroes under boost - builder base attack - CT boost + builder base attacks back to back - if heroes/cc not ready - one more builder base attack - main base attack - builder base attack - logout

usually such long cycle will be 1-2 time per day

depending on time availability i might cut off 2nd attack & hero boost, some builder base attacks

normal cycle :- login - builder base attack - main base attack - builder base attack - logout
    Last edited by suhasbhat26; October 13th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.

Under a bridge, by a river, close to a house, with a kitchen!
    Quote Originally Posted by suhasbhat26 View Post
    as a th11 i play more builder base (especially between 2 main base attacks)

when i have CT boost available, my play cycle goes this way mostly

login - builder base attack - main base donation/request/re-arm/remove obstacles etc - builder base attack - main base attack + heroes under boost - builder base attack - CT boost + builder base attacks back to back - if heroes/cc not ready - one more builder base attack - main base attack - builder base attack - logout

usually such long cycle will be 1-2 time per day

depending on time availability i might cut off 2nd attack & hero boost, some builder base attacks

normal cycle :- login - builder base attack - main base attack - builder base attack - logout
    This is pretty much how I play too. Except the heroes boosting part. I rarely boost barracks or heroes. So I do play with the BB and Main base about the same.

• 25.7% don't touch the BB.
    • 37% play it very casually. Probably don't like it.
    • 16% play 1-2 attacks a day. Hmmm not so fun?
    • 15% 2-3 wins a day.
    • 5.4% Pushing.

So now we can make sure that around 20% of players is having fun playing the BB.
    Well, that doesn't mean that it's bad. If you like it (like me) you shouldn't feel upset.