Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Matchmaking

Fresh Spawn

War Matchmaking

My clan feels the last few updates aimed at balancing engineering has made it significantly worse than pre-update.

4 wars in a row we've faced clans that have 5 or 6 th11's far below where they should be. Our #1 fully maxed th11 was 2 starred by an enemy th11 at #22 out of 40.

Our clan composition is usually 2 near max th11's, 3-5 various th10's and the rest th9&8. In our clan it's mandatory to max all upgrades before advancing th levels to ensure competitiveness. I understand engineering is a valid strategy but it's based on poor weighting mechanics by supercell. In what situation is a bunch of th11 high octane offense equal in weight to th8's or fresh th9?? This gives engineered clans unfair advantages, as they now have 10+ "max th11" quality attacks, while being matched equal with our th9's. Meanwhile my clan gets 4 th11 max quality attacks and a bunch of th9 attacks with no warden and lower level troops.

Supercell has stated they don't want to invalidate certain strategies and ruin anybodies hard work, but these updates have invalidated our strategy (the way the game was originally designed) of maxing and practicing attacking your own TH level, rather than relying on overpowered offense to carry you to wins. Offense is extremely under-weighted in the current war matchmaking.

Our clan isn't usually a push-over. Our best war win streak was 46, and our current war stats are 372 wins, 95 losses, 7 draws. We used to win almost 80% of our matchups, often due to other clans being rushed and having ineffective defenses or bad base layouts. I'm fine with facing more even competition, but engineered bases aren't even. They're taking advantage of under-weighted offense in the matchmaking formula. My clan is now on a 4 loss streak due to non-stop engineered th11 clans getting perfect/near perfect wars on us over and over again.

We've tried adding th3's to lower our weight but it doesn't seem to help and I'm out of ideas. What do you guys think of the current situation?

Edit:Our next best idea is to add lots of TH11 and TH10 so that we can lift ourselves out of this current "bracket" and hopefully reduce the mismatches. But we don't currently have TH10 &11 lining up to join us
    Last edited by Zerosk83; 5 Days Ago at 10:16 PM.

As far as I know, the algorithm is designed to flag engineered bases using certain criteria in order to avoid matching engi clans vs non-engi clans. Those criteria may not be accurate enough at the moment to distinguish more or less badly rushed bases from accurately rushed bases a.k.a. engies.
    Main: IGN: Mr.Pink CLAN: NeoGenesis, lvl 10 (leader) TH: 10 lvl 167 34/40, 94 magmas
    Mini: IGN: Mr.Orange CLAN: NeoGenesis, lvl 10 (co-leader)TH: 9, lvl 144 30/30, 250 lavas

"Venn diagrams can sometimes be used to determine whether or not an argument is valid."

I hate to say it but be thankful you get war matches at all. We are going days and not getting them. We used to get a match in less than an hour.

Can you post each clan's lineup? Not just the town hall levels, kinda need to know if how many Full TH11, 10.5, 9.75 or whatever.

It's a little hard to tell how badly you are being screwed. Do any of your guys engage in .5 or engineering?
    old headz - A place for adults to gather, chat, drink, and clash! Learn more about us at https://oldheadz.wordpress.com/

Find us in Clash: old headz (#2VVQVLCV). War centric adult clan.

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberio View Post
    As far as I know, the algorithm is designed to flag engineered bases using certain criteria in order to avoid matching engi clans vs non-engi clans. Those criteria may not be accurate enough at the moment to distinguish more or less badly rushed bases from accurately rushed bases a.k.a. engies.
    I think the #1 problem by far is offence seems to have very little war weight tied to it compared to defenses. If the charts I've seen are correct, having 1 max level cannon or acher tower is worth almost 2X the max level of a troop in the lab. Another disadvantage for "maxers" is that if you max troops you don't use in war, you get penalized. I don't want to have to build a super specific hybrid account just to get fair war matchups.

I think that as soon as you upgrade your th, your war weight should become a minimum of a MAXED TH 2 levels before you. So an engineered th11 has a minimum weight of a maxed th9 regardless of what they actually have levelled.

Quote Originally Posted by gregenstein View Post
    Can you post each clan's lineup? Not just the town hall levels, kinda need to know if how many Full TH11, 10.5, 9.75 or whatever.

It's a little hard to tell how badly you are being screwed. Do any of your guys engage in .5 or engineering?
    The update wiped our old replays but for this war I'm our #1 and I'm maxed th10. I have 2 levels left on BK and 50% of my walls to level 11. We have 1 more mid tier th10 and then 7 various th9s, 9 th8's, 7 th7's, the rest 6 and below.

All of our clan is "maxers" other than 1 defenseless th9 @#28. This is a 30vs30 war.
    Our team: | Enemy team:
    TH11: 0 | 2 (1 at #11, who 3 starred both our th10 @#1&#2, 1 defenseless at #19 who 3 starred #3&5)
    TH10: 2 | 1 (#1 with no infernos but everything else maxed, i 3-starred enemy #1&2)
    TH9: 8(7 maxers, 1 defenseless@28) | 12 (9 maxers, 3 engi or defenseless @ #15, #24, #26)
    TH8: 8 | 7 (1 @#25)
    TH7: 5 | 4
    TH6: 4 | 0
    TH5: 1 | 4
    Th3: 2 | 0
    Total 30 | 30

Our clan is sorted perfectly by th level until that 1 defenseless th9. Their clan is all over the place. They have 30 attacks at th9 strength or above, vs our 20. The rest don't even matter because those 30 can cover all of the attacks in a 30vs30 war. Meanwhile we have to try and rely on th8's to attack th9 with xbows. I'd rather wait long for matchups that we can actually win than get dealt this garbage over and over and over. We went from an 80% win rate clan to maybe 40-50% when facing stacked odds engineering clans.
    Last edited by Zerosk83; 6 Days Ago at 09:35 PM.

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerosk83 View Post
    I think the #1 problem by far is offence seems to have very little war weight tied to it compared to defenses. If the charts I've seen are correct, having 1 max level cannon or acher tower is worth almost 2X the max level of a troop in the lab. Another disadvantage for "maxers" is that if you max troops you don't use in war, you get penalized. I don't want to have to build a super specific hybrid account just to get fair war matchups.

I think that as soon as you upgrade your th, your war weight should become a minimum of a MAXED TH 2 levels before you. So an engineered th11 has a minimum weight of a maxed th9 regardless of what they actually have levelled.

The update wiped our old replays but for this war I'm our #1 and I'm maxed th10. I have 2 levels left on BK and 50% of my walls to level 11. We have 1 more mid tier th10 and then 7 various th9s, 9 th8's, 7 th7's, the rest 6 and below.

All of our clan is "maxers" other than 1 defenseless th9 @#28. This is a 30vs30 war.
    Our team: | Enemy team:
    TH11: 0 | 2 (1 at #11, who 3 starred both our th10 @#1&#2, 1 defenseless at #19 who 3 starred #3&5)
    TH10: 2 | 1 (#1 with no infernos but everything else maxed, i 3-starred enemy #1&2)
    TH9: 8(7 maxers, 1 defenseless@28) | 12 (9 maxers, 3 engi or defenseless @ #15, #24, #26)
    TH8: 8 | 7 (1 @#25)
    TH6: 4 | 0
    TH5: 1 | 4
    Total 30 | 30

Our clan is sorted perfectly by th level until that 1 defenseless th9. Their clan is all over the place. They have 30 attacks at th9 strength or above, vs our 20. The rest don't even matter because those 30 can cover all of the attacks in a 30vs30 war. Meanwhile we have to try and rely on th8's to attack th9 with xbows. I'd rather wait long for matchups that we can actually win than get dealt this garbage over and over and over. We went from an 80% win rate clan to maybe 40-50% when facing stacked odds engineering clans.
    We face the exact same thing every war now. This war.....half the clan is using their attacks the rest is done. They will not make their attack.

Fresh Spawn
    So we lost the last matchup, new one is again 0 TH11's on our side, 4 on their side.
    My Clan | Enemy Clan
    TH11: 0 | 4
    TH10: 4 | 3
    TH9: 9 | 8
    TH8: 7 | 5
    TH6: 3 | 6
    TH5: 0 | 0
    Total 30 | 30

Their th 11's are ranked #6, #9, #13, #14. All 4 have grand warden and a few war troops and spells maxed.

Before these last 5 matchups, we were 37-9 in our past 46 matchups (80% win rate). we're now 0-4, about to be 0-5, or maybe 0-4-1 if we can perfect star this clan for the tie.
    Last edited by Zerosk83; 5 Days Ago at 10:12 PM.

Fresh Spawn
    Agree mis-matches worse than ever.
    Looking at clashkings.com weighting sheet. I notice 3 things
    (1) heros massively under weight - unlikely to change as encourages people to gem heros
    (2) offence weighted around 25% compared to 75% for defence -- so engineer your base with no real penalty - this is killing our clan wars
    (3) being classed as engineered quite hard to get - so the engineered flag needs improving. Even though u are allowed 4 engineered bases (?) before your clan is over-engineered. Hope we never see one of those.

Also - we see loads of engineered th11 hitting us, when we only have 1 or 2 th11 e.g. 8 v 2! So clan getting p..d off.

so Coc why not at least match up on th level - simples???

Fresh Spawn
    At first I wanted offence to be increased, but I realised that will probably actually hurt "maxers" more than engineered anyway, since I max all troops regardless of if I use them or not. We really just need to implement a "minimum" war weight based on your th level, so you don't get th11's with GW ranked below th8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza007 View Post
    Agree mis-matches worse than ever.
    Looking at clashkings.com weighting sheet. I notice 3 things
    (1) heros massively under weight - unlikely to change as encourages people to gem heros
    (2) offence weighted around 25% compared to 75% for defence -- so engineer your base with no real penalty - this is killing our clan wars
    (3) being classed as engineered quite hard to get - so the engineered flag needs improving. Even though u are allowed 4 engineered bases (?) before your clan is over-engineered. Hope we never see one of those.

Also - we see loads of engineered th11 hitting us, when we only have 1 or 2 th11 e.g. 8 v 2! So clan getting p..d off.

so Coc why not at least match up on th level - simples???
    That weighting sheet on that site is widely acknowledged to be unreliable, so I would take coclusions formed from it with a grain of salt, personally. Is that where you are getting the 25/75 figure? I’m not sure too what you mean by “classed as engineered”, “engineering flag”, “over-engineered” and “allowed 4 engineered bases” - could you explain that part in more detail please?

Note that the simple solution is also unworkable - demographics of who else is out searching at the time and all the possible permutations of clan lineups would make it impossible to lane match everyone, even with much longevsearch times... and that’s without even looking at the difference between a day old thX and a max one and trying to also recognise that in lane. That’s one reason why they haven’t just done it.
    Last edited by Tomville; 4 Days Ago at 04:55 AM.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 13 International clan
    We welcome strong TH10 and TH11 adult players with big heros for fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Active builder base, and must know where the donate button is!