Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Baseball Matchups Could Be Engineered

Oh man, you are going ruffle some feathers with this one.

Comparing engineers to matching up with teams comprised of younger players makes people lose their brains.

Banned
    Engineering in baseball? Like an all offense no defense player? I think he's called the designated hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ClasherClash443 View Post
    Oh man, you are going ruffle some feathers with this one.

Comparing engineers to matching up with teams comprised of younger players makes people lose their brains.
    In this game you actually do have older teams matching up with kids, serious clans matching up with 'free co' clans. Not much complaining about it, which makes it a strange analogy to reach for.
    Arguing by analogy doesn't work well anyway. You just shift from arguing about the issue to arguing about whether the analogy fits at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Onetoomany View Post
    Engineering in baseball? Like an all offense no defense player? I think he's called the designated hitter.
    Billy Beane engineered the Oakland A's. You might remember the movie/book 'Moneyball'.
    It's always the closet engineers that are the most bitter. Trying to maintain a righteous pose while doing exactly what they claim to hate, lashing out at anyone that points out the obvious.

Centennial Club
    littledoctor, Onetoomany, and TankSinatra: You're right that baseball teams are engineered. I was wondering what would happen if a baseball team could engineer its matchups to get incredible win streaks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobinDD View Post
    littledoctor, Onetoomany, and TankSinatra: You're right that baseball teams are engineered. I was wondering what would happen if a baseball team could engineer its matchups to get incredible win streaks.
    Sports teams do engineer to make their team the strongest possible, which by definiton would make their opponents weaker than them. The whole point of the game, be it baseball or clash, is to field a team capable of getting more points(runs/stars) than the opposing team. If that isn't how you play, why do you expect to win?
    Last edited by Onetoomany; July 27th, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Centennial Club
    Onetoomany: Here's the difference. Suppose your team wants to win more games, and you have the opportunity to upgrade *both* your offense and defense.

Sports team: Upgrade both. You get stronger and your opponents stay the same.

Clash team: Upgrade offense only. If you upgrade defense, you get stronger but you will be matched against stronger opponents.

Centennial Club
    Onetoomany: You might find the following example to be clearer. It's about someone who engineers their knowledge to find easier school and job matchups:
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-be-Engineered

Banned
    Onetoomany: You might find the following example to be clearer. It's about someone who engineers their knowledge to find easier school and job matchups:
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-be-Engineered
    I read this post, not enlightening, just nonsense.

As for the the sports team vs clash upgrade analogy, the key is upgrading the things that are most beneficial to the team.
    Last edited by Onetoomany; July 27th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.

Onetoomany: Here's the difference. Suppose your team wants to win more games, and you have the opportunity to upgrade *both* your offense and defense.

Sports team: Upgrade both. You get stronger and your opponents stay the same.

Clash team: Upgrade offense only. If you upgrade defense, you get stronger but you will be matched against stronger opponents.
    MMA fighter - makes strategic choices in how to make weight. That's the best analogy, matchups are made by a weight constraint and fighters have freedom within it. Cut hard and risk feeling weak for the fight? Sacrifice lower body strength for upper? Engineering is also a strategy, and this is a strategy game.

I'm not at all opposed to a matchmaker shakeup though, weights need tweaking. Beyond that low-hanging fruit I'm not sure how much SC can improve things given their business model constraints, but we'll see. But if you don't like the game as it is, SC are the ones who can change it. Engineers are just playing the game as it is.
    Last edited by TankSinatra; July 27th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.
    It's always the closet engineers that are the most bitter. Trying to maintain a righteous pose while doing exactly what they claim to hate, lashing out at anyone that points out the obvious.

Centennial Club
    TankSinatra: An MMA fighter making strategic choices is a fantastic analogy. As I've said before, a "delete inferno" button would force me to agree that engineering is 100% fair. At the moment losing defense weight is even harder for me than losing weight.