Page 1 of 422 1231151101 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Smiley (give away/pay it forward) Thread

Heart & Soul/Espionage Expert Woozle's Avatar

Smile The Smiley (give away/pay it forward) Thread

I've had a reply from JPAW to my enquiry about gifting. He thinks there are no plans at the moment, but will continue to make enquiries while he is in Finland.

Pay it forward is a term for describing the beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor. The concept is old, but the phrase may have been coined by Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight.

The concept was rediscovered by Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Benjamin Webb dated April 25, 1784:
    "I do not pretend to give such a deed; I only lend it to you. When you meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

It is intended that this thread will have a long term effect. New (early level) players, are not expected to pay it forward immediately, but I hope you will come back to this thread as givers when you have reached those dizzy heights and have lots of money. High level players are also most welcome to claim, and you of course can pay it forward straight away.

WORLD SMILE DAY seems like a good day to start this thread, I can only hope that the generous people on this forum keep it going and stop it from sinking without trace!! Fingers crossed ...

POST ON THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO GIVE AWAY (1 GOLD COIN)

YOU CAN RESTRICT YOUR OFFER TO PLAYERS OF A CERTAIN LEVEL AND BELOW

YOU CAN RESTRICT YOUR OFFER TO YOUR OWN GC AND/OR FACEBOOK FRIENDS ONLY

YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO MONITOR THE THREAD AND CHOOSE YOUR WINNER QUICKLY. POST ON THE THREAD AS SOON AS YOU HAVE A WINNER SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE KNOW THE ITEM HAS BEEN CLAIMED. ARRANGE TRANSFER OF THE ITEM AS YOU WOULD NORMALLY DO BY PM, (OR ON THE THREAD IF YOU ARE HAPPY/SECURE ENOUGH TO DO THIS)

KEEP IT NICE AND SIMPLE

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING, MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GC AVATAR BEFORE SENDING/ACCEPTING FRIEND REQUESTS (Edit: 29/11/13 Your GC name and game level in a signature is great, but if you haven't yet done a signature, just include this info when you make your claim.)

YOU ARE ALSO ENCOURAGED TO POST ON THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE A NEW PLAYER AND WOULD LIKE TO SAY HELLO AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF WITH YOUR LEVEL AND GC NAME. HIGHER LEVEL PLAYERS CAN THEN CONTACT YOU IF THEY WANT TO OFFER HELP.

PLEASE DON'T POST ASKING FOR ITEMS, AS SC WILL CLOSE THE THREAD FOR 'TRADING'

Update - a few guidelines

It's perfectly okay to:

*Choose the person you feel is in the greatest need. It's your stuff you're giving away, you have every right to decide who gets it.
    *Ask for proof that someone is in need of the item
    *Turn somebody down if you feel they are being greedy.
    *Restrict your offer to new players by stating the level that it's open to.
    *Claim if you're an established or higher level player (if you're cheeky enough) but if you claim those coveted planks, make up for it by giving away what you get lots of!
    *Keep your arrangements on the thread if you don't want to get bogged down with PM's.

Its not okay to:
    *Post up post up requests for specific, or indeed any items.
    *Respond to people asking for specific items
    *Pester players who give, either by PM or Kik messenger asking for more freebies.
    *Be greedy. We can all see who you are and it's not a good way to win popularity.

It goes without saying that there has to be trust on this thread. It is of course possible that someone will be a smarty-pants and claim when they shouldn't, or trade the item. If this is going to upset you too much then it's probably best that you don't make the offer. There is no redress, you're just going to have to let it go. I'm counting on the fact that a lot of people will know about it, as a deterrent.
    I think it's fine for the thread to move fast so if your first claimant doesn't materialise within a reasonable time then repost or move on to someone else. They'll probably pick up on another offer. Unfortunately no one can do much about issues with Game Centre playing up.

I'll start the ball rolling by offering five land deeds. This offer is open to anyone of any level as long as they have land or fishing expansions to do and use the deeds for that purpose. They go to the first person to post and claim them.

Attachment 18814 Since 1999, the first Friday of October has been named World Smile Day. The concept was the brainchild of Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts. Harvey is best known for creating the iconic Smiley Face symbol and he came up the idea of World Smile Day. ​Harvey "thought that we, all of us, should devote one day each year to smiles and kind acts throughout the world."
    Last edited by Woozle; November 12th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
    .... JANUARY BRINGS THE SNOW - MAKES YOUR TOES AND FINGERS GLOW! * THE SMILEY THREAD * Please read the guidelines on page one before posting *http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/156644-The-Smiley-%28give-away-pay-it-forward%29-Thread

Hi! New member at the forum. Currently at Level 44. GC ID is handrajati.

I wish I had found this Forum way back!

Woozle, thanks for putting this thread together!
    Last edited by handra; October 4th, 2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Hitting post reply too soon!
    Level 99 | GC & PM only (KIK no longer available).

Bookmarks: How To Get Gold Voucher

Quote Originally Posted by handra View Post
    Hi! New member at the forum. Currently at Level 44. GC ID is handrajati.

I wish I had found this Forum way back!

Woozle, thanks for putting this thread together!

Hi Handra, Welcome to the thread. Do you want to claim the deeds?
    .... JANUARY BRINGS THE SNOW - MAKES YOUR TOES AND FINGERS GLOW! * THE SMILEY THREAD * Please read the guidelines on page one before posting *http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/156644-The-Smiley-%28give-away-pay-it-forward%29-Thread

I'm surprised I actually got to post first!

Woozle, I'd love to claim the deeds! Thank you!

how can I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by handra View Post
    I'm surprised I actually got to post first!

Woozle, I'd love to claim the deeds! Thank you!

how can I do that?
    I will send you a GC friend request. As soon as you accept, come to my shop, buy the one wheat in the far right hand tray, and I will put up the deeds for you. See you soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
    I will send you a GC friend request. As soon as you accept, come to my shop, buy the one wheat in the far right hand tray, and I will put up the deeds for you. See you soon I hope.
    I just accepted the friend request. My GC has been acting up though so I hope the acceptance came through...

I got it! Thank YOU! It's really very nice of you, Woozle! Yipppeeee

Wow such a good idea. I'll pay forward ten.saws and ten.axes to someone with their beginning trees left to clear

Coc ign : star child #y8cjuyp99

Song of the day :
    Age of ignorance, by: our last night

I can't believe noone else has participated in.this. I saw it at work earlier and couldn't wait to get off of work to figure what I had a few of to give away lol

Song of the day :

Really no takers. They are free to a good needy home

Song of the day :