Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legends tip/thoughts

Legends tip/thoughts

Below are some thoughts/tips for Legends league for players entering Legends for the first time. I am not an elite player, so you can likely get better advice from others here, but hopefully someone finds this useful. My best is 6100 (edit, change that to 6200+ now) and right now I'm at 6000 with about 11 days to go, so I am not anywhere near the top. Also, this is quite long so I'm sure most will not read it, which is fine. I do the same on other threads. Maybe someone entering Legends will find some use from it.

1) Trophies offered to you while attacking or to your enemy while defending are totally based on your trophies compared to your enemy. I assume most know this by the time they reach Legends. Yes, it stinks when you get hit by a Titan and give up a lot of trophies, but remember it happens to everyone else in Legends you are competing with so it evens out over the course of a season. The unfair part of that isn't your trophy loss (since everyone else gets the big losses too) it is that the Titan found that match in a minute or two while some other poor Legend searching for hours could have had it. That is why I have often suggested SC prevent Titans from attacking Legends (but allow Legends to attack Titans).

2) You probably aren't going to finish top three in the world, so don't set that as your goal. For those who play golf, think of it like that, you are trying to beat your own score and even in months where you aren't trying to do that, at least you will care about the results of your attacks and defenses when you are in Legends, or at least I do. That is what I like about it better than Titans or lower leagues.

3) Are there tricks up at the top of the leaderboard? Yes, some. When you see a top player without a clan, it usually is because they leave their clan to go on defense. Why? Because there is a chance then that one of their clan mates will be the one to find them and attack them and they have a deal set up. There are deals set up often between families of clans as well. Also, there is some account sharing. Some accounts are searching and attacking 24/7. That is against the terms of service and is cheating, but I haven't seen any good suggestions on how SC could stop it. (Edit, shortly after this thread I started begging SC to put a time limit in legends so players could only search for 12 or 14 hours per day. That would reduce the advantage of account sharing.)

3a) The leaderboard on day one of the season is often messed up. Don't worry about it. Other than a bug recently, this corrects itself once everyone logs in, usually on the first day.

4) Do big losses on defense or, even worse, a loss on offense ruin your push? Not nearly as much as you think. If you attack and lose 20 trophies, that doesn't mean your final end of season total ends up 20 trophies lower than it would have been if you never lost those trophies. There are a couple reasons for this. First, throughout the rest of the season the trophies you offer on defense and the trophies available to you on offense are impacted by your own trophy total. So, when you lose those 20 trophies, all of your future attacks and defenses have slightly better trophies for you than if you hadn't lost those 20. Second, the amount of time it takes you to find a match on offense is impacted by the amount of trophies you have. So, over the course of the season you get more chances on offense when your trophies are lower.

5) Do you need to buy shields or boosts? Nope. Last season when I pushed to 6100 I purchased every 1 and 2 day shield that I could and if I got a quick match while on guard I boosted my heroes to get back to searching as fast as I could. This season I have purchased no shields at all and haven't boosted a single time and I'm at 6000 trophies with 11 days to go. In fact, this season I'm not even attacking during shields. I'm attacking almost only while on guard (more on shield management below). Why is there not as much benefit from shields as you might think? For the reasons listed in #4. If you buy a shield and don't have to go on defense, you might think you just saved 15 trophies (using that as an example of a trophy loss on defense). However, see #4 above for what happens the rest of the season.

6) Throw out everything I said in #4 and #5 at the end of the season. When there are only a few days left, you do not have enough time to make up for those losses. So, they hurt so much more. If you attack and lose 20 trophies with a day to go in the season, your end of season total might literally be 20 trophies lower than it could have been. Players know this, so they buy shields during the last few days, which often makes clouds worse.

7) Shield management: The best time to be searching and attacking is during your guard and, yes, I do think buying the extension is worth the small cost. You don't want to waste your guard by having it come at a time where you cannot attack, such as while you are sleeping. For example, today I have a shield from a defense that takes me until 4:00 pm. I am going to ride that shield all day and then use my guard to attack until 10:00 pm which is a good time to end for the day for me. On the other hand, if that shield was ending at 10:00, such that my guard was coming while I was asleep, I would attack a few times today during my shield to make it end earlier so I can make good use of the guard.

8) Hitting next: If you are attacking, especially during a shield, don't be afraid to hit next if the offer is low, like below 10 trophies. If you are in low legends, you are going to get offers faster than higher up. So, while I hit everything I find on guard at 6000 trophies, when I'm at 5200 there is no way I'm attacking a 6 trophy offer, even while on guard. Also, if you found a fast match, remember your heroes and army won't be ready again anyway unless you are boosting, so there is no need to take that little 6 or 8 trophy offer. And, if you are on shield, it definitely isn't worth reducing your shield for so little to gain. (Again, at high trophies it is a bit different.)

9) Heroes. Remember if you aren't going to get another star, you can stop your attack early so your heroes are awake quicker, especially if you aren't boosting. What about heroes on defense? Should you attack all the way through your guard, making your heroes be asleep on defense? The answer is "yes but." Yes, you should search all the way through your guard and if you find an attack that is going to make your heroes be asleep on defense, you have to evaluate the trophy offer and then decide. You almost never get a defensive win, so what you are thinking about is how many stars difference do my heroes make on defense. I think it is usually 1. If I see an 8 trophy offer, I am not attacking that to then put my heroes asleep on defense. Even if I 3 star it, the extra star I'm likely to give up on defense will be more than 8 trophies and it isn't like I can count on a 3 star. On the other hand, if I see a whale of a trophy offer, then I will go for it, even knowing my heroes will be down on defense.

10) Speaking of 3 stars, I started a thread not long ago about how I think 3 stars are more fun (we are getting more 3 stars right now because defenses are down). As I've thought about it some more, I would like to add that I also think making 3 stars a little easier brings MORE skill to trophy pushing, not less as some claim. My reasoning is if 3 stars are too hard, most attackers just make an army and plan for the sure 1 star with the probable 2 star and don't have any plans for trying for 3. They stop their attack as soon as 2 stars is achieved, they use an army for 2 stars, etc. If 3 stars were easier (not easy, just easier) more people would go for it. Then, instead of a system where the 2 star 55% ok attack gets the same trophies as the 2 star 90% really good attack, that 2nd attack is 3 stars and the better attack is rewarded. I definitely don't want to make it so easy that what right now is a 2 star 55% attack becomes a 3 star attack, but if it was such that what right now is a 90% 2 star attack will instead be 3 stars much of the time, I think that rewards the better skilled attack. It also helps the issue of "Legends is all about who spends the most time online" that some people claim. That is too general to be totally true, but there is some validity to that claim. This would be lessened if everyone wasn't getting 2 stars. Those getting 3 stars could compete with those getting 2 stars, even if the 3 star attacker attacks less. If everyone is getting 2 stars, then it is more to do with who gets the most attacks.

11) Is loot good? It is easy to keep 5 builders busy in Legends and there is no need for more loot than that. The exception I think is if you are looting dark for your king and queen. There are better leagues for that than Legends.

12) Do you give up your life to be in Legends? Contrary to what some tell me on global when they see the Legends badge, the answer is no. In fact, I play clash less now in Legends than I did when I was farming. My device is running more, but if I'm not even looking at it I don't consider it "playing." My phone searching in my pocket or my iPad searching on a table while I'm doing something else isn't really playing.

13) That said, you do have to have the ability to have a device searching for a couple hours at a time every day. You want to at least get good use out of your guard most days. Not everyone can do this, which is the biggest problem with the clouds.

14) Some basics: set your device so the screen doesn't turn off (lock) and turn up your volume. Legends players do NOT sit and stare at the clouds. We just have the device close enough to hear when we have a match and to hear the chime that tells us every 30 minutes to retry the search (that one is harder to hear).

15) Should you log out and restart your search? The advice for this is similar to the advice for hitting next. It depends a lot on your trophy level. We do know your match isn't determined by first come first serve. So, if you are in the middle of an abnormally long search, don't be afraid to start over. What is abnormally long? You will get a feel for it after you spend some time in Legends. 3 hours at 5200 isn't normal, while at 6100 it isn't a big surprise. As an aside, I do think the average wait time is less than many people claim/think. Many don't accurately average in the 10 minute match with the 2 hour match. They just talk about how it takes them 2 hours to find a base. The clouds can get bad, I'm not saying they can't, but it isn't as bad as some make it seem in my opinion. And, when the clouds are really bad, I find that going for a drive helps since I always seem to find a match while driving on a busy road that prevents me from actually attacking.
    Last edited by 2222; October 2nd, 2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: updated trophy total

Thanks for the detailed information Im sure it will help for people who wanna push.

But..

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Many don't accurately average in the 10 minute match with the 2 hour match. They just talk about how it takes them 2 hours to find a base. The clouds can get bad, I'm not saying they can't, but it isn't as bad as some make it seem in my opinion.
    This is yours and others luck.

In the last 1 and half week I could manage average 1 attacks per day and been online 8-10+ every single day...yes, it is real..Id be happy with 2 hours clouds (I could gain cups) and Im only at 5770.
    Today exactly the same happening, was clouding 2 hours then went offline for ~40mins then started clouding again...Im in clouds over 4hrs since then so by 6 hrs I didnt see a single base.
    IGN GRASSY | LV220 | IGT #90LGY2G9 | PB 5840 | 17K+ WON
    MAX GG/EE
    | HH 16 MIL | FIN 550k | WAR HERO 1506

Quote Originally Posted by C0CBandits View Post
    Thanks for the detailed information Im sure it will help for people who wanna push.

But..

This is yours and others luck.

In the last 1 and half week I could manage average 1 attacks per day and been online 8-10+ every single day...yes, it is real..Id be happy with 2 hours clouds (I could gain cups) and Im only at 5770.
    Today exactly the same happening, was clouding 2 hours then went offline for ~40mins then started clouding again...Im in clouds over 4hrs since then so by 6 hrs I didnt see a single base.

Bad clouds definitely happen. Last week I had a 4 hour search without a match, but then the next day found matches in less than an hour. Last night in 4 hours I found 4 matches and attacked 3 of them. I haven't tried today. If you are always going 4+ hours without a match at 5800 trophies then something else is at play here because I have never been in that situation from 5000 through 6100 trophies (note I'm not saying I've never had a 4 hour search, but am saying I have never had a week straight of searches over 4 hours). Could internet connection be playing a role here? Something.

Millennial Club
    Thanks for the insight

I am mid titan2 right now as an early th10 and steadily climbing with legends as a goal so the above has helped

Forum Veteran
    Great info, 2222. Only been in legends for the last few months and definitely picked up a few things. Just get to play a few hours after work and hardly ever find a base before work in the a.m., so don't aspire to ever climb too awfully high, but do love the opportunity to practice on fairly good bases most of the time.

Thanx!

TH12...level 229...60/60/30...gg 2 bil...ee 2 bil...hh 29 mil...atb 6032

Banned
    Hopelessly Wandering the Clouds in Search of a Base
    Great post and answers a lot of the questions that many new Legends players will have. Well done.

Just to elaborate on the clouds, in my personal opinion, the clouds are tolerable below about 5400 or so. It's been my experience that the wait at that level typically isn't longer than that of Titan 1. On bad days, you might wait 15-30 minutes. However, after 5400, it waiting more the 30 minutes seems to be the norm while finding bases in lesser time is surprising. After 5700, they just become intolerable.

Now, the obvious key to all of this is what one can tolerate. A friend in my clan literally hates waiting anything longer than a minute or two for a base. As such, he tends to stay down in Titan 2 or 3. Another tends to get annoyed after 30 minutes. He usually stays in the 5000-5200 range. Me, I can stand waiting an hour or so and I start thinking about coming on the forum and flaming and ranting every single time. This tells me that I should probably stay under 5600 or so.

As 2222 stated, you are inevitably going to find bases in a minute or two. But, you're also going to wait an extremely long time on other attempts. Good with the bad, I guess. One thing that I think everyone can agree on is that the higher you go, you'll have a greater chance of elongated waits.

Quote Originally Posted by xc3ss1v30n3 View Post
    Great post and answers a lot of the questions that many new Legends players will have. Well done.

Just to elaborate on the clouds, in my personal opinion, the clouds are tolerable below about 5400 or so. It's been my experience that the wait at that level typically isn't longer than that of Titan 1. On bad days, you might wait 15-30 minutes. However, after 5400, it waiting more the 30 minutes seems to be the norm while finding bases in lesser time is surprising. After 5700, they just become intolerable.

Now, the obvious key to all of this is what one can tolerate. A friend in my clan literally hates waiting anything longer than a minute or two for a base. As such, he tends to stay down in Titan 2 or 3. Another tends to get annoyed after 30 minutes. He usually stays in the 5000-5200 range. Me, I can stand waiting an hour or so and I start thinking about coming on the forum and flaming and ranting every single time. This tells me that I should probably stay under 5600 or so.

As 2222 stated, you are inevitably going to find bases in a minute or two. But, you're also going to wait an extremely long time on other attempts. Good with the bad, I guess. One thing that I think everyone can agree on is that the higher you go, you'll have a greater chance of elongated waits.
    Yes, all good points. Legends isn't for everyone. For me, personally, I prefer the long wait for an attack that I really care about the result than a short wait for an attack that doesn't matter at all. Titans attacks feel too much like friendly challenges to me (which I also do, especially while I'm sitting on a long Legends shield). However, like you, I have clan mates that totally disagree. They would much rather attack a Titan quickly than wait for a Legends attack. I am definitely influenced by the fact that on at least half of the days I can have my device searching for a few hours straight. I usually will get enough attacks there to make up for what I lost on defense. The result is slowly climbing up from 5000 througout the season.

New Bloke/Chick
    so is there a purpose to the long clouds? Is it just that those in Legends are riding their shields more and there just aren't as many people to attack? My guess would be yes since as soon as my guard is up I get attacked. Considering this time I find it interesting that at the beginning of the season after the first 2 days someone has done 100 attacks already and it at 5800-6000 trophies already. I'm not sure how this is possible?

Banned
    Hopelessly Wandering the Clouds in Search of a Base
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain71jr View Post
    so is there a purpose to the long clouds? Is it just that those in Legends are riding their shields more and there just aren't as many people to attack? My guess would be yes since as soon as my guard is up I get attacked. Considering this time I find it interesting that at the beginning of the season after the first 2 days someone has done 100 attacks already and it at 5800-6000 trophies already. I'm not sure how this is possible?
    Read what 2222 said about the beginning of the season. The leaderboards are janky and don't update quickly. Anyone showing that many attacks and trophies at the beginning is just still showing last season's numbers. As far as long clouds, it's just what you said. People buying shields, the long guards, plus just having fewer players in Legend than in other leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Bad clouds definitely happen. Last week I had a 4 hour search without a match, but then the next day found matches in less than an hour. Last night in 4 hours I found 4 matches and attacked 3 of them. I haven't tried today. If you are always going 4+ hours without a match at 5800 trophies then something else is at play here because I have never been in that situation from 5000 through 6100 trophies (note I'm not saying I've never had a 4 hour search, but am saying I have never had a week straight of searches over 4 hours). Could internet connection be playing a role here? Something.
    Of course, bad clouds can happen but as I seen on the Top Leaderboard 80% of the people has 200+ attacks won.
    As I said in different topics..Im online most of the day (Im working at home) so basically can play all day long as others and I have 100 attacks won at moment, so you can imagine how its unfair.(+ account sharing)
    I using my own internet (wife and kids using another since my jobs needed a separate one) 200MB fiber optic, never had any issue with it.

Stopped off the thread.

Thanks for the info again.
    IGN GRASSY | LV220 | IGT #90LGY2G9 | PB 5840 | 17K+ WON
    MAX GG/EE
    | HH 16 MIL | FIN 550k | WAR HERO 1506