Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another new guy

Yet another new guy

...new to Hay Day, that is. I've felt like starting to play a farming game, and since I'm already playing Clash of Clans and Clash Royale, I thought I'll check out Hay Day. And so far, I really like it.

However, one thing that kinda gets on my nerves a bit, is the always-full barn. I've managed to upgrade my silo once so far (had only one item missing; the others I've had multiple of), but my barn is still missing duct tape. And I'm at a point where it's almost unplayable. I have even started to not only chop and saw off some trees and blow up some stones and stuff, but also selling off some expansion items that I have the most of (reduced those I had 8 of to 7 so far... well, got two of those again since then and sold them off yet again)... simply because that's almost all there is inside my barn. I can't even produce properly anymore, due to rarely having any space. Just got my second food mill and my second chicken thingie (I don't know what it's called in English).

But yeah. What do you think? Should I spend 8 gems to get a roll of duct tape? Or should I keep hoping to get one through other means instead? What should I spend my gems on anyway? More production slots for my buildings maybe?

Also, I take it there used to be trading; so I was kinda thinking about maybe trying that. But I couldn't find any trading thread that's newer than from 2015; and the rules-thread that they all link to doesn't even exist anymore. I wonder why?

Oh, and how many trees/stones should I get rid of? How much space will I eventually need anyway? Also, I've heard about a layout editor (similar to the one in Clash of Clans for your village)... but I couldn't find the one in Hay Day yet. Does it get unlocked at a higher level? Or did I just miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by xSaturnx View Post
    ...new to Hay Day, that is. I've felt like starting to play a farming game, and since I'm already playing Clash of Clans and Clash Royale, I thought I'll check out Hay Day. And so far, I really like it.

However, one thing that kinda gets on my nerves a bit, is the always-full barn. I've managed to upgrade my silo once so far (had only one item missing; the others I've had multiple of), but my barn is still missing duct tape. And I'm at a point where it's almost unplayable. I have even started to not only chop and saw off some trees and blow up some stones and stuff, but also selling off some expansion items that I have the most of (reduced those I had 8 of to 7 so far... well, got two of those again since then and sold them off yet again)... simply because that's almost all there is inside my barn. I can't even produce properly anymore, due to rarely having any space. Just got my second food mill and my second chicken thingie (I don't know what it's called in English).

But yeah. What do you think? Should I spend 8 gems to get a roll of duct tape? Or should I keep hoping to get one through other means instead? What should I spend my gems on anyway? More production slots for my buildings maybe?

Also, I take it there used to be trading; so I was kinda thinking about maybe trying that. But I couldn't find any trading thread that's newer than from 2015; and the rules-thread that they all link to doesn't even exist anymore. I wonder why?

Oh, and how many trees/stones should I get rid of? How much space will I eventually need anyway? Also, I've heard about a layout editor (similar to the one in Clash of Clans for your village)... but I couldn't find the one in Hay Day yet. Does it get unlocked at a higher level? Or did I just miss it?

First of all, welcome to Hay Day!

here is the link to the trading thread

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-%28part-13%29

i totally understand! I am a high level farmer and forumer who was feeling kind of out of touch with newbies. I got an old iPhone 4 and started a baby farm on it.

i ignore it a lot! Really hard to get going when your barn is always full. You will need coins, so sell what you can. Don't worry too much about trucks. I am trying to look at a truck order and make stuff for it. Delete the ones you know you will never do.

save your diamonds for now. Until you know what you want and need. Many invest in production slots, but you need space right now, not more goods faster.

i am level 12. As hard as it is, try to focus on upgrading barn only or silo only, one at a time Grow and sell crops every minute you are farming to get bonus items from harvesting.

it will get better but remember this is fun

there is no hurry, no deadlines, farm at your own pace

a couple of additions (I logged in to my baby farm for the first time in a week):

clear only the land you need for now. Many people regret cutting down everything. Look out for treasure chests, but don't open them with diamonds. Watch for the movie ticket next to the mailbox. You can watch up to 4 trailers per day for prizes.

i just harvested my fields (one plank), opened a red chest (another plank) and watched a trailer for 1 tape... Upgrade time

There is an edit mode, level 25

you don't need to buy everything and you can always go back and buy later or not at all
    Last edited by WussyPuss; June 17th, 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Typos mutating and spawning
    Farm 141
    CoC TH12 BhB9 AQ 60 BK 50 GW 23
    established level 18 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...

Thank you very much for that detailed answer!

Yeah, I think the movieticket is what got me that one item that I was missing to upgrade the silo (or did I get it from harvesting... I think I got one from each; the harvesting one was first). Then there's also the lucky wheel and of course our favorite neighbour, Greg (I hope I'm remembering his name right). As of right now, I didn't get any duct tape yet; but that might happen soon. Otherwise I might try the trading; thanks for linking me the thread!

Welcome to the farm and the forums, Saturn! I'm currently waiting for that one last duct tape to expand my barn, too. If nothing else, farming in Hay Day encourages patience. I sometimes feel like I'm desperate and ready to ask a neighbor if she can spare a tape--and a neighbor would certainly offer, just as I would give a neighbor any expansion material she needed. Then the feeling passes and I vow that I am going to get that last tape from my own farm!

Every feature that requires collecting trios of EMs (expansion materials) will have one item that you never seem to get. Others have different "short" items. You are wise to sell off your extras and keep the numbers in balance. If the balance is WAY off, you will get fewer of the short item. Selling off the extras at least gives you some room in the barn.

As Wussypuss says, sell what you produce in your RSS (roadside shop) to make coins. Sell EVERYTHING for the maximum price. It will all sell, even wheat. Coins will be the thing that limits your progress. If you hurry to level up, you won't really have made progress because you won't have the coins to buy the machines or develop the features that become available at the higher levels. I think all of us thought leveling up was important when we first started farming. It's not. The fun and satisfaction is in managing your farm so that you have enough resources to develop it.

There is nothing that you have to do. Once you repair your boat dock, you can ignore the boats and sell items in the RSS. You can ignore the truck order board. You can ignore the "little visitors" who appear in the driveway. Selling in your RSS gets you more coins and no XP (experience points). Your choice, though. If you like doing any of those activities, and especially if there is a "double coin" event on, you'll want to participate. There is no wrong answer. You can't "ruin" your farm.

Save your diamonds and make sure that you have "diamond confirmation" enabled in the advanced settings. It doesn't work for everything, but it is a killer to accidentally spend diamonds to speed up machine production or buy some extra wheat to make bread. Adding slots to production machines, especially the dairy and sugar mill is the best use of diamonds. Occasionally hiring Tom for a day is good, too. Happily there are now "boosters" that offer Tom's time for free. We all love those!

Resist removing "original features"--especially trees--until you need the space. (Bogs and rocks are a matter of taste. I keep many of them around.) At this time, these things are the only things that are irreplaceable. The trees turn color in the fall and are snow-covered in the winter. We can now buy colored trees, but they cost a load of vouchers and you would be much better served using any vouchers you get for pets. My pets often provide that last duct tape that I need!

You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Hay Day is completely different from SC's other games. There are a lot of other Clashers who have found a long-term home over here. You'll undoubtedly meet them around the forums.
    Last edited by MiniGardener; June 17th, 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Farm Level 128 | Town 41 | Achievements 143/144

My pleasure and it is good to know I am not the only windy one around here, mini!

this is exactly why I started a baby farm. We forget how tough it is when we first started and get a little complacent.

(I had a flashback and remembered that I burned through all of my free diamonds thinking I had to speed up wheat, etc. )
    Farm 141
    established level 18 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

Thanks again for those great replies!

I've actually been lucky today. Decided to check out those farms in the newspaper that are around my level, because they might also be in a similar situation like me, where they have to sell expansion items. And indeed... found someone selling two rolls of duct tape; so I could upgrade my barn to 75 slots. A bit later, I've found another one, at which point I've probably performed a little jump xD. Allowed me to go to 100 slots with my barn. And even later, I've found another one of the missing items for my silo (while collecting eggs I think... or was it harvesting... well, doesn't really matter)... so that is at 100 slots as well now. Overall I have to say, I've had a very lucky day today in Hay Day.

So much more fun (and also a lot faster) to play and tend to my farm if I don't have to think about what to get in which order, what I have to get rid off, then finding that I've sadly ended up picking the wrong animal food first, making me have to get rid of 3 more items I wanted to keep... only to then have to wait until the stuff in my roadside shop is sold off and/or I can advertise again.

I will totally keep this thread bookmarked, so I can go and re-read your posts as needed. Thanks again!
    Last edited by xSaturnx; June 18th, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

Great! I will add things a I find them out!

tap your level number and you will see what you get at the next level. I just made it to 13.

i was looking for stuff to sell in my barn and noticed that I had cheese and butter, which I cannot use anyway. I sold it at max
    Farm 141

Quote Originally Posted by Wussypuss View Post
    Great! I will add things a I find them out!
    Great!

tap your level number and you will see what you get at the next level. I just made it to 13.
    Fun fact: I've just stumbled over that today as well. Cool feature. Oh, and I'm lvl 13 too.

i was looking for stuff to sell in my barn and noticed that I had cheese and butter, which I cannot use anyway. I sold it at max
    Yeah, and the same counts for cookies. I have also noticed that cookies sell for 4 more gold than pancakes; but pancakes need one egg more than cookies, while cookies use 2 wheat instead. So I guess that kinda makes sense material-wise. I only make pancakes when I can't make bacon with egg, though.

I have also looked up indigo, which I can now plant, if I want to. Apparently I can't use that before I reach lvl 16 (or 17 even; I don't remember), so I'll not plant any for now.

I've seen that there's apparently some neighbourhood trading or so. Is that actual trading of any items? I know, I could probably look that up in the wiki; but I thought you probably know that and it doesn't hurt to have the info in here as well.

Edit: Had a mailman come by today to drop off a second gift (to say sorry for the additional maintenance). Stupid me visited another farm (through the newspaper), though; and afterwards I've realized that I'd have wanted to see if there's some special animation when he drops the gift. -_-

Oh, and also had the newspaper glitch today. One issue of it, that is. It was all blank; except the title-page with Chick Norris, the instagram-ad and the page numbers. Was kinda funny and weird at the same time.
    Last edited by xSaturnx; June 19th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xSaturnx View Post
    Great!

Fun fact: I've just stumbled over that today as well. Cool feature. Oh, and I'm lvl 13 too.

Yeah, and the same counts for cookies. I have also noticed that cookies sell for 4 more gold than pancakes; but pancakes need one egg more than cookies, while cookies use 2 wheat instead. So I guess that kinda makes sense material-wise. I only make pancakes when I can't make bacon with egg, though.

I have also looked up indigo, which I can now plant, if I want to. Apparently I can't use that before I reach lvl 16 (or 17 even; I don't remember), so I'll not plant any for now.

I've seen that there's apparently some neighbourhood trading or so. Is that actual trading of any items? I know, I could probably look that up in the wiki; but I thought you probably know that and it doesn't hurt to have the info in here as well.

Edit: Had a mailman come by today to drop off a second gift (to say sorry for the additional maintenance). Stupid me visited another farm (through the newspaper), though; and afterwards I've realized that I'd have wanted to see if there's some special animation when he drops the gift. -_-

Oh, and also had the newspaper glitch today. One issue of it, that is. It was all blank; except the title-page with Chick Norris, the instagram-ad and the page numbers. Was kinda funny and weird at the same time.
    Once you join a hood, there is an option to request items from your hoodies. Up to 10 crop items, 5 barn items, except for axes and saws, which are 3.

you get a free request every 8 hours and you are limited to how much you can donate in a 24 hr period. It is not exactly neighbourhood trading.

yeah, indigo takes 2 hours so it is useless right now! Maybe good to put on overnight and sell in the morning.

glitches like those always happen on update days
    Last edited by WussyPuss; June 20th, 2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Farm 141

Okay, so my newly spawned farm has reached level 14 and Tom has popped up to run errands for me. I know there is nothing he can fetch me of any value at the moment, so I am going to ignore him as best I can.

save him for the time being.

i I'll think about the pie oven in the meantime
    Farm 141