Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Teslas Triumphant: A TH9 Design and Case by Richard

Teslas Triumphant: A TH9 Design and Case by Richard

This is both a base design thread and a discussion thread, treat it as you wish.

I feel like there is a huge emphasis on splash defences in this game. I don't disagree that it is the most important factor in defending loot against low level attackers, however, once your defences become more advanced, splash becomes more and more redundant.

For fairly maxed TH9s and 10s only: look over your defence log. How many attackers managed to break into even a single storage. If the answer is none, then you are probably beyond the point at which wizard towers and mortars will be most beneficial in protecting resources. Every one in fifty attacks will be from someone who is either a) annoyed at you for stealing their DE, or b) has trained a high level army overnight and found your base to test it on. These are the kinds of attacks to which you lose one or more storages. These are the attacks you should be aiming to defend against.

Think about it in terms of numbers. If you have level seven splash then it is unlikely that many attackers are getting your loot. Lets say one in fifty manages it with high level troops. That's about 100k gold lost. Now think of what would have happened if you had your highest level DPS buildings surrounding the loot. Perhaps those high level troops would have failed and you would have got away with yet another successful defence. In that scenario you would have <100k lost. It is less probable that an attacker will win with a high level army.

Even with slightly off-centred splash, you are still protected from barbarian archer / giant goblin attacks by those awesomely powerful level 7 mortars and wizard towers. They do not need to be your most protected defence.

Here comes my case for the high DPS buildings:

In most high level defences e.g. champions league layouts, high DPS defences are favoured over splash simply because splash fails to defend well against a small number of high hitpoint troops which are most common at >3200 trophies. These high DPS buildings would most commonly be Infernos, Teslas, Xbows and even Archer towers. TH9s don't have Infernos, however, they do have level 7 Teslas which certainly pack a punch.

I tried to incorporate a TH9's highest hitpoint defences - the Xbows and the Teslas - right at the centre of the layout.

If your DE storage is empty you can swap a mortar into the core:

Wizards and mortars no longer steal the show, it's time for those long awaited Teslas to shine. Of course, splash cannot be negated and still has to remain semi-centralised as to prevent failed defences against farming armies, however, it no longer occupies all that space in the centre.

The layout also retains all those features a good layout should have:

-100% Staggered Junctions
    -95% Unlurable CC
    -Mazing funnels (they can be avoided by clever troop placement, however, will be the second target after other defences are destroyed)
    -Evenly spaced point defences
    -Triangular mortar placement (DE can be swapped out with one mortar if needed)
    -Non-exposed AD
    -Centralised Gold and DE (Elixir should be useless up at near max level TH9 and 10)

After 4 weeks of testing, no army managed to steal a gold storage or touch the DE. I didn't, however, get the widest range of attacks. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who uses this layout posts their findings.

I hope my point was conveyed adequately and I urge you all to share your opinions on this.

Thanks for reading,

Richard
    Last edited by maynards35; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
    IGN: Richard | Level 111 |TH10 | Exodias II
    The Loaded Die TH9 |
    Teslas Triumphant TH9

Millennial Club
    You just gave words to my thoughts.

The base looks good! How high have you tested it?
    Started 5th december 2012

Quote Originally Posted by R3beLl View Post
    You just gave words to my thoughts.

The base looks good! How high have you tested it?
    Hehe, cheers Rebel

Up to 1800, I might try crystal. It's difficult to get decent attacks against it high up though because of all those TH snipers :P
    The Loaded Die TH9 |
    Teslas Triumphant TH9

Nice Base! Hope to have mine like yours some day! Anyways, very well designed!

Chairman of #swag disbursement committee Russians's Avatar
    Pretty bad@ss

Might use this one later!
    Everything stated here is forwarded from a major corporation. Nothing here is my opinion. Enjoy your salad.

-DARUSSIANBADGER

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by maynards35 View Post
    Hehe, cheers Rebel

Up to 1800, I might try crystal. It's difficult to get decent attacks against it high up though because of all those TH snipers :P
    I'm currently at 2511, I just moved around my defence so my splash is in the outer core. I still get pretty many attacks were splash could be useful so this will be a bit of a try. I might actually change to your layout and test it for you.. Hehe.
    Started 5th december 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Russians View Post
    Pretty bad@ss

Might use this one later!
    Thanks Russians, lol, sounds like I'm addressing the whole of Russia xD

Quote Originally Posted by R3beLl View Post
    I'm currently at 2511, I just moved around my defence so my splash is in the outer core. I still get pretty many attacks were splash could be useful so this will be a bit of a try. I might actually change to your layout and test it for you.. Hehe.
    Haha, that would be awesome. I might too, when I decide to drop.
    The Loaded Die TH9 |
    Teslas Triumphant TH9

Nice design Maynard! My defenses are now maxed at TH9 so I can appreciate your perspective.
    Lvl 7 teslas are quite formidable! My favorite defense! Check out my dark thief base in my sig to see how I use them to protect my DE.

Maxed TH9s working on lvl 9(or 10) walls don't often get legit attacks under 1800 trophies.
    Any halfway decent farm design will scare away most attackers unless you haven't collected your resources in 12 hours.
    This is why I favor aesthetic designs for farming layouts near maxed TH9 since they aren't often seriously tested.

My only issue with your layout is you aren't protecting your DE storage well enough.
    The only reason I would raid a maxed out TH9 is for their DE.
    You have placed it more exposed than your gold storage and only covered by 1 tesla. I would have no trouble taking it out with my DE farming army.
    I would swap it with your inside mortar as my first choice.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Banned
    Very nice I need to change up my base (had my current for about three months, bleh) i may try a centered tesla base, because it would open new and interesting core possibilities. I'm also going to fool around with some new funnels I'm working on, may or may not make a thread about it in the future. We should get together and talk base design some time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    Nice design Maynard! My defenses are now maxed at TH9 so I can appreciate your perspective.
    Lvl 7 teslas are quite formidable! My favorite defense! Check out my dark thief base in my sig to see how I use them to protect my DE.

Maxed TH9s working on lvl 9(or 10) walls don't often get legit attacks under 1800 trophies.
    Any halfway decent farm design will scare away most attackers unless you haven't collected your resources in 12 hours.
    This is why I favor aesthetic designs for farming layouts near maxed TH9 since they aren't often seriously tested.

My only issue with your layout is you aren't protecting your DE storage well enough.
    The only reason I would raid a maxed out TH9 is for their DE.
    You have placed it more exposed than your gold storage and only covered by 1 tesla. I would have no trouble taking it out with my DE farming army.
    I would swap it with your inside mortar as my first choice.
    Thanks for the feedback About the DE, I uploaded the wrong picture. Usually I keep the DE in the core. I just changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby111 View Post
    Very nice I need to change up my base (had my current for about three months, bleh) i may try a centered tesla base, because it would open new and interesting core possibilities. I'm also going to fool around with some new funnels I'm working on, may or may not make a thread about it in the future. We should get together and talk base design some time lol.
    Thanks Toby, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss designs
    The Loaded Die TH9 |
    Teslas Triumphant TH9