Thread: Dark prince and guards shield buff

Banned
    on my bed, crying myself to sleep like I do every night

Dark prince and guards shield buff

The dark prince and the guards, both cards that use the shield mechanic, are sitting very low in the usage rate (2.2 percent for dark prince and 1.4 percent for guards according to stats Royale). And there is good reason for this. The guards' shields can be basically rendered useless with a log for a positive elixir trade, and the dark prince is outclassed by the valkyrie in almost all aspects, and is probably only used in double prince decks.

In order to make the underused dark prince and guards more viable, supercell can make their shields immune to ALL spell effects, such as being pulled by the tornado, or be frozen by freeze spell. This could help the dark prince utilize his 360 splash charge attack more often and not be zapped every time he charges, and prevent the guards from being constantly logged. Keep in mind that this immunity is ONLY when these troops have their shields on. So when their shields are broken, they can be poisoned, lightning, etc. like normal.

This small but fairly helpful buff could help bring these two troops up in overall usage rate. Since spells make up almost half of all cards in Clash Royale, having troops that cannot be affected by spells altogether can be an interesting addition to the meta (even if the immunity is granted for as long as the shields stay on the said troops) People could use the dark prince as a more decent splash support troop, and the guards can be used as a more expensive alternative for skeletons that cannot be logged.

And this addition will not ruin the meta too much either, as their shields can be busted fairly quickly with a troop, and can be affected like normal once their shields are gone.

Please let me know whether this buff is viable or not, and thank you!
    Last edited by nikithb; April 21st, 2017 at 06:08 PM.

I do agree the shields need a buff, i dont know if i agree with the spell immunity though. I think we need a 4th guard and the dark prince needs either a bigger splash damage area like sparky's blast damage radius, or more shield hitpoints.

Pro Member
    I definitely don't see either very often though I have seen Dark Prince used without normal Prince in Golem beatdown decks. Ignoring the issue with guards (which is valid), my solution for Dark Prince would be to nerf this HP & Damage significantly (like 7-10%) and change his elixer cost from 4 to 3.

BTW, I used to be a 2x prince user from about 3,000 to 4,300 trophies. Ditched him a couple of months ago.

I strongly agree with your proposal. It's interesting. Guards need to be improved, and could become very useful on different decks. I personally don't think it is a good idea to lower the elixer cost for the Dark Prince, but this idea of spell immunity is great. Of course this would mean that it would be impossible to stop the charge once he has started (many people use log and zap to do it) but I think that would be interesting even though I doubt Supercell would see it viable.

The more obvious option is just to increase the shield's health. Or the idea of Firebreeze13, which is increasing its damage area.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreeze13 View Post
    I do agree the shields need a buff, i dont know if i agree with the spell immunity though. I think we need a 4th guard and the dark prince needs either a bigger splash damage area like sparky's blast damage radius, or more shield hitpoints.
    Although your suggestions are both good, they don't make the guards and dark prince viable in the sense that they don't offer anything new. Giving the dark prince a bigger splash radius or more shield hitpoints just makes it more and more like a valkyrie. Adding a 4th guard still isn't a good enough reason to use them over the very popular skarmy or goblin gang (which can't be zapped btw). We need variety in this game, not redundancy. Giving the guards spell immunity can give it new and interesting uses, such as an excellent counter to graveyard poison. Giving the dark prince a spell immunity forces the opponent to quickly place down a troop/building or risk taking significant damage to their tower.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dabien2 View Post
    I definitely don't see either very often though I have seen Dark Prince used without normal Prince in Golem beatdown decks. Ignoring the issue with guards (which is valid), my solution for Dark Prince would be to nerf this HP & Damage significantly (like 7-10%) and change his elixer cost from 4 to 3.

BTW, I used to be a 2x prince user from about 3,000 to 4,300 trophies. Ditched him a couple of months ago.
    The elixir change for the dark prince seems like a viable change, as the past cards that supercell has changed the elixir cost of have worked very well (mortar, cannon, skarmy, elixir collector). But when you really think about it, reducing the dark prince's damage enough for him to become 3 elixir will virtually make him 2 shot everything outside of skeletons when not charging, which really isn't good. So that basically defeats the purpose of his splash damage (unless while charging), and doesn't really make him more usable over something like the bomber or even arrows
    Last edited by nikithb; April 21st, 2017 at 09:12 PM.

I like your idea, both troops need a buff and these new shields would solve that!

Fresh Spawn
    PERFECT!!! These buff would make guards a reliable defense against hog riders and even golems (if there is no wizard close).