Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My pro-engineering opinions

My pro-engineering opinions

If you want to win in this game you want to give yourself the best chance to do so. you upgrade your troops and heroes in order to have stronger attacks. You practice your attack strategy in order to hone your skills. Why is there such a fuss when people upgrade their bases strategically in order to have an offense stronger than their defense? There is nothing unfair about any of these things. All of them are ways to help you and your clan win and retain win streaks, which i personally consider the objective of the game.

However, this topic is very polarized so i want to present both sides accurately.

The people who don't want to see people with stronger offense than defense think that its unfair, for whatever reason, fairness is what this boils down to. To them, its a unjust advantage. To them engineering is not based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair. The problem with this thinking is that they assume that it is necessary, or required, to be moral and act fairly and that just
    isn't the case. To quote the age old adage "All is fair in love and war". While this is a game, not real life, these people have to prove that even though its called war in the game its not actually war, where those who oppose these people consider CoC war equitable to war in real life.

In addition to that "fairness" is a highly subjective term and is can be a goalpost that can be moved at any point. Anyone can call something unfair and be correct in their description. "Life is unfair." But just using the term and being correct in its usage isn't enough to warrant an action to 'correct the unfairness" that is inflicted upon them even if it was able to make war just for some people, there will always be others where it will not. These people want war to be fair, but you can't make everyone happy.

Everyone has the same fairness in the opportunity to engineer, that is undeniable. Many people have been doing this so it had become normalized.

Engineering is just another strategy that people use in war, no different than tailoring an attack to exploit a weakness in the design of a base. It is legal, and fair and those who think otherwise are wrong.
    Last edited by SharkyFinn; April 19th, 2017 at 04:46 PM.

OP, welcome to the forum. You seem to have a good grasp of this issue since you already know it's a polarizing topic. Not sure what you're trying to get out of this post, but I think it may turn toxic based on your subject line.

I engineer, and I believe it's sandbagging:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbagging

I do it for the sole purpose of manipulating the war mm to get an advantageous match up. It's not strategy imo, just gaming the system.

Here are some other good discussions that touch on the issue you bring up:

Billius discussion on the impact of Engineered clans and bases to the game
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...-and-Farm-Wars

Onyx view on Engineering
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...84#post9272584

Seachicken view on Engineering
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...53#post9304253
    Start Dec '12 | Hi Lg/Lv:Titan/176
    Accounts:
    TH11Hi(570 Stars)|TH9Max(1110)|TH9Max(1230)|TH10Lo(1020)|TH10Hi (760)|TH9Hi(440)|2TH9Mid (300+)
    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." Leo Tolstoy

1000% Agree

This is a topic that is beaten to death on the forum, this post doesn't bring anything positive , just another viewpoint, which will turn into flaming and such.

I would suggest to post your opinion in the other 100's on this topic
    Finally a LEGEND!!!
    Max Hero's
    NOW TO GRIND WALLS

Banned
    Legal? Yes. Ethical? Probably not.

I think this post is much better now with the *edit*

Quote Originally Posted by TitanToad View Post
    Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Accounts:
    TH11Hi(570 Stars)|TH9Max(1110)|TH9Max(1230)|TH10Lo(1020)|TH10Hi (760)|TH9Hi(440)|2TH9Mid (300+)

Quote Originally Posted by TitanToad View Post
    I would suggest another edit-Can this be said in 100 words or less?

As it is now, everybody will read a paragraph or two and then flame away.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyfsullivan View Post
    I engineer, and I believe it's sandbagging:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbagging
    I don't think "sandbagging" is the correct term to describe engineering. Engineers aren't misrepresenting their strengths/weights. They aren't pretending that they don't have ITs or EAs...they actually don't have them. Engineers tend to think those items are overvalued by the war matchmaker.

Engineering is the practice of identifying the items that are overvalued or undervalued by the matchmaker. Engineers focus on placing and upgrading undervalued items, while avoiding the overvalued ones.

Engineering is more akin to "Sabermetrics" than to "Sandbagging".

See Also: Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Quote Originally Posted by Bandorf View Post
    I don't think "sandbagging" is the correct term to describe engineering. Engineers aren't misrepresenting their strengths/weights. They aren't pretending that they don't have ITs or EAs...they actually don't have them. Engineers tend to think those items are overvalued by the war matchmaker.

Engineering is the practice of identifying the items that are overvalued or undervalued by the matchmaker. Engineers focus on placing and upgrading undervalued items, while avoiding the overvalued ones.

Engineering is more akin to "Sabermetrics" than to "Sandbagging".

See Also: Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game
    Interesting point of view, but I disagree. I call what I'm doing sandbagging, but to each his own.
    Accounts:

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast