Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hypothesis - SC Wants Variation in War Fairness

I'm unconvinced that SC is actively doing something to throw clans under the bus.

The March 2016 MM update may have been the biggest long term mistake they've made, even bigger than the sudden change to the shield system in December 2015. Getting back to more realistic weights is helping, but the problems heavily engineered clans present to finding a really fair opponent. Those clans will cause problems for the MM until SC decides they won't match a clan that is too unique to find a fair opponent for. I'll have to remain skeptical of any claims of match fixing on SC's side, until clans like the Martians are unable to maintain long win streaks.

SC at least seems to be aware of the issue & may be deliberately moving slowly rather than making yet another sweeping change with unforeseen consequences. It also seems that they are finally realizing that the war scene is the main draw for most long term players, not trophy pushing.

I've been nudging them on social media to figure out something besides war & trophy pushing to retain the end game players. The community is been doing a lot to pick up the slack by creating our own tourneys & the CWL. SC needs to hire a couple people to help run the CWL & probably a few more to run special events to keep people engaged with the game.

#HIRE-SMOLSON
    Leader of Bellum Tigers #2CR0QQC
    Expert Goblin Butterknife Attacker

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefTuk View Post
    I'm unconvinced that SC is actively doing something to throw clans under the bus.

The March 2016 MM update may have been the biggest long term mistake they've made, even bigger than the sudden change to the shield system in December 2015. Getting back to more realistic weights is helping, but the problems heavily engineered clans present to finding a really fair opponent. Those clans will cause problems for the MM until SC decides they won't match a clan that is too unique to find a fair opponent for. I'll have to remain skeptical of any claims of match fixing on SC's side, until clans like the Martians are unable to maintain long win streaks.
    I'm not saying they're fixing anything, or deliberately introducing wild matches on occasion. I'm wondering if they PREFER an imperfect system, if a system that seems more fair to our eyes runs counter to their goals. I'm also careful not to say its all about gems, clearly they care about revenue but are interested in a long term stream.
    Level 10 Adult War Clan METAMUCIL.
    And some of us are old enough that its not just a funny word...
    Metamucil keeps the red out of our logs. Small wars, great record, low pressure.
    War Record - https://cocp.it/clan/82GJJV2J

Quote Originally Posted by TankSinatra View Post
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. A group of kids, casuals that bounce between clans recruiting in global, friends and family clans that are tolerant of missed attacks? They need to see a win here and there to keep them engaged, hand them the hammer (beneficial match).
    The better clan will occasionally need to be the nail to motivate them to keep grinding heroes and teching up the TH. When you lose due to an inferno/eagle mismatch, that's pressure to drop them for yourself. This probably seems wrong to most in the war forum, permamax and engineers are overrepresented here, but its probably generally true for clash at large.

Curious if this sounds ridiculous to others. I can't say I'm certain its true, but can't dismiss the possibility either.
    I have used that exact hammer/nail line in this forum many times. I totally agree that SC is manipulating matchups to encourage people to continue upgrading their bases. The biggest symptom of this was three accounts that we have had in war in the past three months.

The first was a fully maxed TH9 (70k). When he was in war, he routinely matched against full TH10 with infernos. As he was the top account in war, this led to difficulty three starring his counterpart (although several times he pulled it off). This caused many clan members to encourage him to jump up to TH10. Instead, he went to a CWL clan where the matchups are arranged and he would not face that mismatch. Now that he is gone, our top account is 69k. He is very close to max, but has never pulled a TH10. This data supports the claim that SC has built in mechanism to keep people advancing their bases.

The second situation was two brand new TH9 accounts that we had (you could call them 8.5, but really they were just brand new 9s). They routinely matched against full TH9s with XBows. Once they themselves dropped XBows, it became normal for them to mirror 8.5s. They went from being the nail to being the hammer. These were never the top accounts in war, so you can say that this evidence is less compelling because the system does not match point to point, however the difference in their mirrors was very drastic and clearly changed. We keep stats of all our and our opponents weights and TH levels and there is a clear shift when they dropped their XBows.

I absolutely agree that SC engages in psychological manipulation of their players for their own profit.