Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if matches were based strictly on offense

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    The intent of trying to get people to build defense is clear, but the problem is the proposed solution would just change from one type of uneven match to another. Why would we want a system that considers two accounts with the same offense but one with max defense and one with low defense to have the same power?
    I guess I look at it the way I used to play WOW: people who were not maxed lvl players got stomped by max level players (I equate this to building defenses => get everything built). Offense will naturally have to progress in order to continue to max defense. Once people were at max level, then they had to get gear to be competitive (I equate this to max level heroes, all max troops and all max spells).

The current system does not incentivize people to build max defenses at all, which is a downside. There is also the huge time sink issue, which really needs to be addressed in order to get new players playing against the seasoned veterans. Why would I want seasoned veterans to play against new players? To expand the pool of players. Besides, the seasoned veterans would still win because they have better skill and everything is on a level playing field at that point (max offense and max defense), right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach777 View Post
    I guess I look at it the way I used to play WOW: people who were not maxed lvl players got stomped by max level players (I equate this to building defenses => get everything built). Offense will naturally have to progress in order to continue to max defense. Once people were at max level, then they had to get gear to be competitive (I equate this to max level heroes, all max troops and all max spells).

The current system does not incentivize people to build max defenses at all, which is a downside. There is also the huge time sink issue, which really needs to be addressed in order to get new players playing against the seasoned veterans. Why would I want seasoned veterans to play against new players? To expand the pool of players. Besides, the seasoned veterans would still win because they have better skill and everything is on a level playing field at that point (max offense and max defense), right?
    The current system incents a clan to build a specific lineup to gain an advantage to win wars. There are no successful engineered clans that are all dless. You will never get the majority of the population to max, given the current system.

Reversing the algorithm just changes the incentive. In order to get fair, equal matches you need to remove incentives for "creative" troop upgrades and defense builds. The same way TH sniping is effectively removed. You can still leave your th out but the benefit is removed.

This is on SC to determine what they want the majority of the players to do and incent that behavior and penalize the opposite behavior.

Whether, they want to do this or can do it is a totally different question. And I don't know the answer to either.
    Last edited by Ripple1972; 3 Days Ago at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach777 View Post

I agree that a problem with the current matchmaker is it encourages people to not build certain defenses. My thought is that should be corrected to properly weight the defense and offense such that there is no disadvantage to building any defense. However, it is not my agreement with your plan which would incentivize people to not build certain offenses. How is that any better than encouraging them to skip defenses?

You would have the complete opposite of what is happening therefore it would still remain unbalanced.
    Leader of Mr T Specials - A level 12 War Clan (#PLPYOQGU)
    Actively recruiting players willing to learn and teach. We go for the 3 star and work as a team. Request "forum" in your message.
    Player tag: #R2L9CYP2 - TH10 BK/AQ 36/40
    Est. 2014

Centennial Club
    A balanced player (he who upgrades troops AND defenses in a balanced way) should be having the "advantage". Other upgrade paths either TH defenses with troops for lower TH level OR lower defenses with troops for TH level should be giving a disadvantage in MM.

However, at the moment lower defenses with upgraded troops seems to be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
    A balanced player (he who upgrades troops AND defenses in a balanced way) should be having the "advantage". Other upgrade paths either TH defenses with troops for lower TH level OR lower defenses with troops for TH level should be giving a disadvantage in MM.

However, at the moment lower defenses with upgraded troops seems to be the way to go.
    That would certainly be the view of someone with a balanced base. I think engineers would say offense should have advantage. Defensively rushed would say they should have an advantage.

The only thing that is true is currently, SC has given the advantage to the offensive ahead of defense. The rest is just personal bias.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripple1972 View Post
    That would certainly be the view of someone with a balanced base. I think engineers would say offense should have advantage. Defensively rushed would say they should have an advantage.

The only thing that is true is currently, SC has given the advantage to the offensive ahead of defense. The rest is just personal bias.
    Totally true. But think about players who are fresh. Who are new to each and every TH. I would not recommend rushing because as a player you should have enough time to learn different skills on attacking. I do not think the average player rushing TH's without building defenses will have enough time to learn to use the troops correctly. Especially after TH8. But again, that too is my personal bias.

Plus I think it is better for the game in general to have players having fun on all kinds of TH levels, I personally believe that the engineering is driving lots of people away from the game after they are getting into the TH10 range of TH levels in their wars. But again, that is my personal experience with lots of newer players in my clans.
    Last edited by Prutser; 2 Days Ago at 04:06 PM.

Instead of matching based off troop levels, match based on lab level. Anyone could try to skew a system based off troops levels, but if it took into account your lab level it would be a more solid match.

however then you'd have people engineering in the opposite direction. Leave the lab at th10 level while getting all new TH11 defenses, etc. the only way to make matches closer to even is to take into account both offense AND defense. Any system that favors 1 more than the other will eventually be used and abused by those with the time and means to crack the system.
    TH10 -- L145 -- GG Billionaire
    275 Magmas
    BK-L30 -- AQ-L40
    A Cure for the Common Cloud