Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Debate and You: A Forumers' Guide

  1. #1
    Forum Superstar Siddmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,216

    Debate and You: A Forumers' Guide

    I've been on these forums for years now, and if I was to say one of the most commonly sad things I see is weightless or unsubstantial arguments. It's been like this since the conception of forums, sure, but we, with common knowledge, can help alleviate the problem. In this guide I wanted to give some insight on what makes a great debate. No real end to this one, I feel it doesn't need a conclusion since it is basically a handbook. This thread will be constantly updated as well so maybe even come back for more information one day!

    WARNING: There is some real talk in here. Trigger warning. I'm sorry that I had to say that.

    Table of Contents

    I: Purpose of Debate
    II: Validity of Topics
    III: Being Respectful
    IV: Looking From Their POV
    V: Being Plain Annoying
    VI: Stupidly High Bias
    VII: Moderators and Moderator Actions
    VIII: Forum Policing
    IX: Superiority/Inferiority
    X: Common Misconceptions/Mistakes

    I: Purpose of Debate

    Debate needs to have a purpose. You're not going to have a serious discussion about gif or jif anytime soon, my friends. At least not on the internet. I've had these conversations in real life :P. Anyways, the point of a debate is that you want something proven or changed. Only make a serious discussion if you're passionate about it; it helps your determination as well as the validity of your argument. For example, if I thought this:

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer*
    All people should have the same last name determined by their race, so people could be easily identified and caught by police easier. It also helps with organization.
    There's not much reason for this. It's not my opinion but let's pretend it is. It is pretty unsubstantial because there are many flaws in it; interracial people, profiling, and the main purpose of last names to begin with. It is important to have a topic that you want to discuss and are ready to defend.

    II: Validity of Topics

    Some topics have more validity than others, or simply put more defendable. Remember the context you put yourself in as well. This is a forum for phone game politics, not a forum for discussing trigger issues like race, etc. Remember this as sometimes arguments get way too heated over game balance and things of the sort. Issues like rigging the game should be taken more seriously (will not put my stance in this thread because it is a guide, if you know me you know my stance) because they involve people's wallets. You wouldn't want to kill someone because they think EBarbs** are a balanced card. So act like it.

    III: Being Respectful

    This is one of the topics that is the hardest to explain to the generic forumers. There are some pretty good debators here but that wouldn't apply to the target audience of this thread. Being respectful does not mean you should give your opponent leeway, but instead not shoot down their opinion. Remember section II. Nobody should be extremely offensive and rude here, so don't shoot them down like they are. Tell them how their opinion is flawed. Don't be this guy...

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    EBarbs are ruining the game! If you don't think so how do you even play this game EBarb user, get out since you clearly don't understand this game's mechanics and its former beauty!
    GenericForumer here is letting his rage get in the way of his better judgment. Maybe EBarbs are ruining the game, but he is not letting the other debator have their turn. This comes around and bites GenericForumer in the butt because people respect his opinion less now. Some people won't even debate with GenericForumer now, especially if this happens a lot, because he has ruined his reputation. When you are respectful, people will give you the respect you deserve, and vice versa.

    IV: Looking From Their POV (Point of View)

    Many people dismiss others' opinions plainly because they think it is stupid. If you're going to refute someone, you must know the circumstances and conditions of the person. If someone complains about taunts, why are they so offended? Are they just another triggered individual we have come to know the great USA for, or has the person just suffered through a breakup or family loss? If you can see through their POV, you can start to make arguments tailored for that specific person. Give advice rather than snapping back. GenericForumer has been arguing poorly and is the prime example for our new generation we have here***. So props to GenericForumer for the bad example here.

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    Our over-offensive society here has forgotten our freedom of speech, the most important amendment! They try to shut my arguments down when OBVIOUSLY I am right!
    Notice that the post that just looks angry. The overuse of exclamation marks and capital letters just reeks impatient, bad debator. Also notice the freedom of speech thing. GenericForumer hasn't done research and doesn't realize that Supercell is located in Finland. As well, even in America a company can express this thing called "freedom of expression" that lets them determine their ethics code; therefore, their allowed people and topics. If their ethics code is bad (IE exclusion of people named "Smith", the most common American last name), there is a public backlash and it doesn't work.

    V: Being Plain Annoying

    People won't respect you if you're just annoying. GenericForumer explains himself by making multiple posts like these:

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    ebArbs are annoying anfd they were rush to the game by ♥♥♥
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    ♥♥♥ really needs to get their standard and business model way up or else the EbaRbs are going to kill em good
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    You only insulr my grammer because you cant refut my argument. get good troll.
    There is an obvious rushed nature to these posts. Good grammar and spelling goes a long way, people. As well as this, GenericForumer felt like he was losing and immediately made a desparate attempt to attack the other forumer as well as an overused, bland, generic insult to the company that makes our game that we gather here to discuss of. GenericForumer's final mistake was not trying to explain his "why" stance and only his "what" stance.

    Also avoid freaking out about little things. GenericForumer also explains himself here:

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    Why has nobody responded to my post in five minutes! Are they too busy sucking up to SC?!?
    VI: Stupidly High Bias

    This usually occurs in polls made by new people. GenericForumer is here to save me.

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    Ok so I'm making a poll. EBarbs OP or not? For mobile users here is the poll just vote in the comments.

    1: I think EBarbs are OP.
    2: I'm stupid and think that EBarbs are OK in the game currently.

    So make sure to vote guys!
    It seems incredibly ridiculous and obnoxious but I assure you I have seen so many of these I lost count a long time ago. Don't leave obvious bias in an objective statement or poll, please. I assure you that it will make it worthwhile.

    VII: Moderators and Moderator Actions

    Supercell states that under their rules, their decisions are final. They can be reverted if a moderator admits wronging, and there are cases where they would be if they didn't handle it wrong. Making lots of alt account, starting a rebellion is not the way to handle this. If you wanna debate with a mod, instead of screaming at them that they are misuing their power, actually debate with them. This is a form of debate. Get your friend to sign up and talk to them for you. Advice them to not speak angrily. Give them information that supports your cause.

    Oh, and if it is just an infraction, 7 day ban, or deleting of a thread, ride it out then discuss it with the mods to get your status cleared. Being respectful goes a long way.

    As well, Supercell, being a private company, has the right to choose what is and isn't acceptable for their forum. If you get in trouble for saying something controversial this is their right. You can't blame them for "abusing power" when that's their "job"; I say job in quotes because all the mods have actual lives outside of moderating. You can debate this all you want but slander isn't a wise choice.

    VIII: Forum Policing

    There is a degree of forum policing that is respectable and a degree that is unacceptable. GenericForumer called out a person who respectfully told a person that their discussion belonged somewhere else.

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    Geez, we have a forum police over here! I'm sick of you guys, can we just have discussions in General without your sass? I mean, all you want is to become a mod over here. You just come off as arrogant kys mate
    GenericForumer is adding to the toxicity. I will also add that most people on these forums (me included) are not even old enough to sign an NDA****, thus being barred from a Moderator position. This is also a reason why GASPs have no special priveledges like early and exclusive behind-the-scenes access.

    IX: Superiority/Inferiority

    The beauty of a forum is that you don't know a person's life situation; age, physical skill, etc. We can discuss with anyone without bias. That is, until we do know or are given a reason to try and know. This section will mostly focus on the superiority or elitist side of things, because it is usually more of a problem.

    GenericForumer here is the true definition of an elitist. He says,

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericForumer
    If you are not at 4627 then don't even try and argue with me. You obviously aren't as skilled.
    He states his pretty high PB (and, given his lack of debate skill, I assume he has a maxed deck to be up there) and how anyone worse in trophies can't even compare to him. He just OK compared to 5K people here but he thinks he is the absolute best. Others under him are probably more skilled and even low leveled players can have a valid argument, they have something to say, too. But he won't let that happen. He wants to have less people to argue with so he can auto-win the debate. I've said it multiple times, don't be GenericForumer.

    On the flip side, don't try to assert too much dominance when you are new. If you do, others won't hesitate to (rightly) call you out for it.

    X: Common Misconceptions/Mistakes

    i. The first common misconception that I would like to state is that the other guy is actually not out to get you. They are instead real people trying to defend their opinion, good or... not good as they can sometimes be. Don't dismiss someone as a troll because they come to the forums to state their opinion or even seek emotional help. I've seen people here shoot down a suicidal before. Don't be that guy.

    ii. Fresh Spawns' opinions are valid unless they are obviously here to troll or make one word threads. Don't try to attack someone's argument just because they are new. This adds to toxicity here.

    iii. People always start new threads without even going to a main hub thread. Your voice will be heard if you reply to a megathread (that's not getting spammed) and it's more organized.

    iv. Make yourself a reputation. People will agree with you more then.

    v. If someone has a disagreement with you, first agree to disagree. Remember that you are respectable people with highly regarded opinions and you don't wanna ruin your image because of stupidity and overbias.

    vi. If someone plays a different way from you, only judge them if you have information as to why. They can be at a low trophy range because they're casual or they dropped. Think first.

    vii. Superiority/Inferiority applies to forum ranks as well. Remember this. I'm not better than you just because I have more post count, or a blue badge.

    *GenericForumer is not intended to be a real person and is referred to as a male to simplify my writing. Again, not a real person making these quotes. Duh. Remember now, GenericForumer is a legend among men.
    **EBarbs are used here because a lot of people complain about them. My opinion has been stated elsewhere.
    ***I'm 15 so people don't get offended for no reason. This is a generalization.
    ****The age for signing an NDA is 18. NDA means nondisclosure agreement. It basically exists to prevent leaks since legal action can and will follow.
    Last edited by Siddmaster; April 11th, 2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Major update and fixe

  2. #2
    Millennial Club DarkSkinnedWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brawl Stars
    Posts
    1,271
    Great thread, great read! Good post Sidd! This is something everyone could benefit from!
    Physically sh00k

  3. #3
    Pro Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    558
    Nice! Thanks for tasking the time to write this

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    In a world where people know how to have **real discussions​**
    Posts
    1,208
    Well feels like a new sticky is ready mods

    Very nice thread you deserve 10 rep points

  5. #5
    What's wrong with throwing insults around!1!1!1!!1

    Obviously ♥♥♥♥♥♥sale wants us to be toxic towards each other or they wouldn't have implemented emotes in the game1!1!1!1!


    😬
    Last edited by Frostification; March 31st, 2017 at 02:29 AM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    In a world where people know how to have **real discussions​**
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostification View Post
    What's wrong with throwing insults around!1!1!1!!1

    Obviously ♥♥♥♥♥♥sale wants us to be toxic towards each other or they wouldn't have implemented emotes in the game1!1!1!1!


    he didn't say don't complain
    He just said talk with a legit point
    And of course I too hate threads which just contain insult and really 0 matter of debate

  7. #7
    Forum Superstar Siddmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshya1106 View Post
    he didn't say don't complain
    He just said talk with a legit point
    And of course I too hate threads which just contain insult and really 0 matter of debate
    I know you talk with the best intent but Frost's post was probably sarcastic. See the overuse of 1's next to the "!"s.

  8. #8
    Forum Elder Someguy1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In your card shop
    Posts
    2,285
    I understand your attempt to reach people and try to get solid debates happening on the forum. The problem however is alot if not most people don't want to debate. They want to argue.

    As much as I feel a good argument is still a debate, so many people don't feel that way. A debate should stand a chance of at least having both parties walk away thinking...I don't agree but I understand his stance. I have rarely seen that on this forum.

    But I will support this thread and hope some sees it and realize debating is more fun that arguing.
    Last edited by Someguy1234; March 31st, 2017 at 03:13 AM.

  9. #9
    Millennial Club krtk2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    lilangel. frosty. kart. ninja. bmille. mich. dinner.
    Posts
    1,460
    We were looking for a thread like this for a while.

    I agree that new people at starting spam a lot at these forums.

    Nice thread, Sidd.

    this account is dead. btw that sig was made by guto

  10. #10
    Super Member Jimbo5point3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    I'm a precious snowflake
    Posts
    852
    Good thread, but the people who need to read it never will. Our GenericForumer who clog up the forums with cruddy posts has not come here to debate, but rather to vent or cry. They'll almost certainly not read this thread prior to firing off their insults and tears in every direction.
    Supercell Confirms Permamute Functionality: https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...amute-Function

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •