Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Challenges: Once Great Idea, Now Disappointing

Forum Elder

Special Challenges: Once Great Idea, Now Disappointing

Maybe I am alone in this line of thinking. If I am, by all means tell me. But these special challenges are now just a waste of time to me.

When they first launched, they offered a 50% discount to normal challenges and the new most efficient (albeit grindy) way to farm gold. You'd be a fool to not participate; given that you could consistently get >2 wins. It also forced you into new game modes and playing new cards. Because of the value they provided, it was easy to forgive the downsides (more on that next).

Fast forward to today and the value is gone. They are the same price as normal challenges and now the downsides to these game modes are intolerable for me. The main problem is that these modes have a definite luck factor involved. Sometimes you get great cards, other times you have absolute garbage. I don't believe we have had the full price Blind Deck challenge yet; but we all know luck played a significant factor in that challenge as some decks were downright difficult to use. In these special challenges, my wins are never consistent (luck factor). I had rounds where I got 2 wins, followed by a round where I got 10 wins. Whereas in the regular challenge, I can always expect at least 8-10. And no, I don't use meta decks.

The point is, why would I use gems on a Special Challenge that has a noticeable luck factor when I can be, on average, more successful in the regular challenge that is far less reliant on luck? Some would say it's for the fun or novelty. But then, in effect, we are willingly spending gems to use a game feature as your return on investment is lower.

Now, the value argument is void when people can access new cards earlier (Ewiz, Ram). However, that raises another problem. In a recent thread by Killerkuto (sp?), he raises the concern of a rapidly shifting card level imbalance in Arena 10. Further discussion in that thread noted P2W further pushing down players in A8/A9/low A10 due to the nature of card releases. The problem is that the better players are getting early access to potentially unbalanced cards. While the underleveled or less skilled players have no chance at these cards AND are further pushed down the ladder by these players. It adds to the great divide that is currently happening. Nothing will kill a game quicker, or prompt people to retire more, than a feeling of absolute helplessness and hitting a massive brick wall.

So, for me, I've been taking my free entry and moving on. Often times doing the regular challenges in lieu of a special challenge. A couple challenges back, there was no free entry and no gem cost discount. I didn't even participate once. A definite shift from previously looking forward to these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Adevati View Post
    Maybe I am alone in this line of thinking. If I am, by all means tell me. But these special challenges are now just a waste of time to me.

When they first launched, they offered a 50% discount to normal challenges and the new most efficient (albeit grindy) way to farm gold. You'd be a fool to not participate; given that you could consistently get >2 wins. It also forced you into new game modes and playing new cards. Because of the value they provided, it was easy to forgive the downsides (more on that next).

Fast forward to today and the value is gone. They are the same price as normal challenges and now the downsides to these game modes are intolerable for me. The main problem is that these modes have a definite luck factor involved. Sometimes you get great cards, other times you have absolute garbage. I don't believe we have had the full price Blind Deck challenge yet; but we all know luck played a significant factor in that challenge as some decks were downright difficult to use. In these special challenges, my wins are never consistent (luck factor). I had rounds where I got 2 wins, followed by a round where I got 10 wins. Whereas in the regular challenge, I can always expect at least 8-10. And no, I don't use meta decks.

The point is, why would I use gems on a Special Challenge that has a noticeable luck factor when I can be, on average, more successful in the regular challenge that is far less reliant on luck? Some would say it's for the fun or novelty. But then, in effect, we are willingly spending gems to use a game feature as your return on investment is lower.

Now, the value argument is void when people can access new cards earlier (Ewiz, Ram). However, that raises another problem. In a recent thread by Killerkuto (sp?), he raises the concern of a rapidly shifting card level imbalance in Arena 10. Further discussion in that thread noted P2W further pushing down players in A8/A9/low A10 due to the nature of card releases. The problem is that the better players are getting early access to potentially unbalanced cards. While the underleveled or less skilled players have no chance at these cards AND are further pushed down the ladder by these players. It adds to the great divide that is currently happening. Nothing will kill a game quicker, or prompt people to retire more, than a feeling of absolute helplessness and hitting a massive brick wall.

So, for me, I've been taking my free entry and moving on. Often times doing the regular challenges in lieu of a special challenge. A couple challenges back, there was no free entry and no gem cost discount. I didn't even participate once. A definite shift from previously looking forward to these events.
    very true. I agree. They need to bring back 1 free entry and 5 gem classic version of special challenge.
    By the way, the next card that's gonna be released in CR is Bandit.

So, I made an analysis about it: https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-Card-Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Harishmadhavan View Post
    very true. I agree. They need to bring back 1 free entry and 5 gem classic version of special challenge.
    Yeah. The 5 gems need to come back. I honestly forgot that it even ever was 5 gems. (-___________-)

Thanks to ClashOfHolmes of the KillerCheese's signature shop for the awesome Sig.

"Trusting in someone is the same as depending on them. That is something the weak do. I have no use for it."

I've like all of them and the fact that they aren't every weekend keeps them fresh giving the game a change of pace. I do feel like they could at least give the classic one free entry like they did this time. I wouldn't oppose them reducing the rewards and it only costing 5 gems. I've spent plenty of money on this game but I'm not blowing 100 gems on this or any other challenge unless new cards are available (electro wizard). 10 isn't as bad, but with friendly battles able to participate it's still not as enticing.

TLDR - I don't agree with the waste of time, because it's fun. I do agree with other points OP made
    Last edited by Aginar; February 17th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Gaming with Aginar YouTube
    Any deck, card, or gameplay questions?
    Follow and DM on Twitter @AginarGaming

Forum Veteran
    Agree. No point in spending gems for a challenge so based on luck.

image hosting 12mb

Not bad for 10 gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroboam View Post
    image hosting 12mb

Not bad for 10 gems.
    Lucky you. I've gotten lots of 12 win classic and special event(10 gems) chest as im f2p and cant afford a grand challenge. I've never gotten anything good out of em.

Thanks to ClashOfHolmes of the KillerCheese's signature shop for the awesome Sig.

"Trusting in someone is the same as depending on them. That is something the weak do. I have no use for it."

The fact is the EWiz challenge is better off being named as the 'meta' challenge because you're going to get punished if you don't use what's hot right now. The same goes for all tournaments. You'd think there'd be more diversity but no, there really isn't.
    The Dank Prince - horse rider and prince of the dankest memes
    My card ideas: | Frostbolt - Yeti - Thunderbird - Ivy Druid - Troll Shaman - Blade Runner |
    Featured ideas: | Frost Maiden - Gelatinous Cube - Sorceress - Tundra Beast - Venomous Siblings |

5 gems for challenges that dont have any extra rewards: at least
    c'moon supercell they are not special anymore...

imagen

Not as good this time. Still outstanding value though.
    Last edited by Jeroboam; February 17th, 2017 at 06:14 PM.