Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Lord deck (anti-meta)

The Dark Lord deck (anti-meta)

Hey guys!

Tired of facing Barbarians, Hogs and Giants? Feel like smashing in their faces?
    Well, have I got news for you.
    The Dark Lord is not pleased with them either, so it's time to join the dark side and stop these half naked beardy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s once and for all!

Theme deck: Dark Lords army
    - Zap
    - Bomber
    - Minions
    - Skeleton Army
    - Mini PEKKA
    - Tesla
    - Witch
    - PEKKA
    Average elixir cost: 3.9

Evil troops all around, combined with some electric damage for the atmosphere.

So how does it work?
    This deck is all centered around the PEKKA. Play her in the back, then support her for a strong push.
    Where it actually shines, is its ability to put pressure in two lanes at once.

Often I start the game by putting PEKKA in the back, supported by Witch as she helps defend the PEKKA from Skeletons and Minions. On itself this is a push to beware, but once it reaches the bridge, I either do one of these things: add more support to the push (Bomber, Minions), OR - in most cases - start a push in the other lane with mini PEKKA (supported with Minions or Skarmy if possible) or Skarmy.

At this point your opponent has to decide very quickly how to defend.
    One push is slow, but very strong, the other one is fast and also a big threat. Both are VERY lethal too: get one of them to a tower and that tower is pretty much done for.
    This often results in an opponent acting too late or panicky and dividing his defenses... usually to the point that he manages to stop the small push, but fails to stop the big gun.
    Some opponents will even miss the second attack, being all focused on the PEKKA.

Of course, you can always try other, smaller pushes with this deck too. Witch + Minions, mini PEKKA + Skarmy, mini PEKKA + Witch... some combinations can be very effective.
    One rule to keep in mind with the PEKKA: never send it out alone. This is just asking for trouble.
    Always support it with either the Witch or Minions (if you know your opponent plays Skeletons/air troops) or the Bomber/Skarmy (note: only if you're sure your opponent can't counter with any type of Minion at that point).

So this is how the offense works. How about the defense?
    Well Tesla on itself already does a great job here. A very underappreciated card, but really strong against: small units, air units, Hogs, medium health range units (Wizard, Musketeer) and slow tanks (Valkyrie, Giant).
    Its high DPS is what helps it so much. Combine this with Minions, Skarmy and/or Bomber (Witch against air attacks) and you can stop pretty much anything.

Here's how I counter certain popular cards and combos.
    - EB: many counters possible. Skarmy on itself. Zap + Bomber in the middle. Bomber to lure them to the middle (Tesla/Skarmy works too) + Minions to finish them off. Plus, Tesla, Witch and mini PEKKA can also severely damage them. Lastly, PEKKA on itself completely chops them to pieces. Do not deploy her directly in front of the EB though.
    - Hog: Tesla is a perfect counter on itself. Next to that, Skarmy or Minions. Mini PEKKA can also kill him with two strikes.
    - Giant/Royal Giant/Golem: these guys don't stand a chance. Skarmy. Minions. Tesla to distract and severely damage them (note: against the Royal Giant, place the Tesla a little higher in the middle to successfully lure him). Witch, mini PEKKA, PEKKA: all do very high damage. Whenever I see someone play a Giant or Golem, I wait for it to pass the bridge, then chop it to pieces. This leaves you with a very strong counterattack.
    - Ranged attackers (Musketeer, Wizards, Princess, Sparky): Tesla deals with Musks and Wizards on itself, for others I like to play Skarmy on them as soon as they pass the bridge, or Minions if they're non-splash range attackers. Bomber also works well against Princess. Minions too; wait until she locks on your Tesla or tower, then deploy them.
    - Air strikes: once again, Tesla. Tesla can kill Balloon on its own very well, then escape its death damage. Lava Hound dies real quick against the Tesla too. Mega Minion stands no chance, neither do the Dragons. Minions go down pretty fast, though you might need a Zap. Against heavy air strikes (Lavaloon) I play Witch defensively and time my Zap well (often when the pups appear).
    - Graveyard: Minions, Skarmy, Bomber, even Witch can all work well here.
    - X-bow/Mortar: here's a fun trick. Siege buildings are often placed near the bridge. When they are, plant the Tesla close to it. It will distract the siege building and with its high DPS, it will take out the X-bow or Mortar without much effort.

Of course, there are also cards to beware of.

Strong against
    - Giants
    - Golem
    - Hog
    - Barbarians
    - Small swarms (Skeletons, Goblins)

Weak against
    - Inferno Dragon
    - Inferno Tower
    - Tornado
    - Poison

Inferno cards can shut down a PEKKA push pretty fast. Zap helps, so make sure to save this card for those match-ups. Minions help out as well.
    Tornado can group your push and throw in some splash damage to stop it. It's best not to rely on a big push in those matches. The same accounts for Poison, it's better to spread your forces.
    Good news is, most of these cards aren't played very much in the current meta so in most cases you're pretty much good to go.

Replacements that fit the theme

- Minion/Skarmy for the Guards
    - Witch/Bomber for Executioner
    - Bomber/Minions/Skarmy for Mega Minion
    - Tesla for Tombstone or Lightning
    - Mini PEKKA/Bomber for Dark Prince

From experience I can say this is a very effective deck. I test a lot of decks, and whenever I feel like ranking up the ladder I always use this one (I'm in legendary arena by the way, troops being tournament standard level). Its win rate is very high, and it's more likely to get draws with this deck than to actually lose a game once you've got the hang of it.

Summarized, if you feel like chopping up annoying meta cards... join the Dark Side!
    Last edited by Morrack; January 31st, 2017 at 05:07 PM.

Banned
    You are too childish, Hog Freeze counters this deck. So as RG Skarmy Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTekKA23 View Post
    You are too childish, Hog Freeze counters this deck. So as RG Skarmy Furnace
    Believe me, Hog Freeze does not counter this deck. Played against it often enough. Tesla lures the Hog, freeze that all you want. Two towers will still be firing at him and I can still add more defenders for that 4 Freeze elixir.
    Same accounts for the other deck you mention. Tesla to lure the RG, Bomber or Witch to deal with the small units (and also deal damage to the RG).

I'm really not lying here. Been playing this deck for weeks now whenever I feel like ranking up.

This deck is so weak to air it's not even funny.

MegaMinion lays waste to your offensive push. Minion Horde does to. Valkyrie smokes the witch.

Dropping a PEKKA in front of an EBarb stops them but also results in the death of the PEKKA.

I'm not sure where in legendary you are but at 3700+ it's not viable.

Quote Originally Posted by FatoGato View Post
    This deck is so weak to air it's not even funny.

MegaMinion lays waste to your offensive push. Minion Horde does to. Valkyrie smokes the witch.

Dropping a PEKKA in front of an EBarb stops them but also results in the death of the PEKKA.

I'm not sure where in legendary you are but at 3700+ it's not viable.
    Hey there, saw your message.
    How do you attack so far? One lane or two?
    When facing heavy air defense, I tend to attack two lanes: one with PEKKA + Witch (keeping Zap ready), the other with mini PEKKA.
    This forces opponents to choose which lane to defend with their air troops.
    If the PEKKA lane is attacked by Minions, I zap them as soon as they drop and let the Witch finish them off.

Valkyrie is strong against Witch, yes, but not against PEKKA/mini PEKKA. Try to keep Witch close to a strong combatter if you know Valkyrie's in the game. Also a Bomber on safe distance can help out.

As I mentioned in my first post, make sure never to send in PEKKA alone. Always bring support.
    Also, when purely defending against EB, it's better to play Skarmy/Guards than PEKKA.
    When you d defend with PEKKA, she will kill the EB, but wll take damage, yes. Try never to plant her in front of the EB directly. Use Zap to stun them for a moment if you're really in a clinch, so PEKKA can hurt them.

Sorry to hear the deck's not working for you so far. I'm currently hovering around 3200 trophies, need to upgrade my troops a bit more. Also I tend to try a lot of different decks so I'm not really pushing for high trophies at the moment.
    I do have to mention that I used this deck in the challenge mode once and got 9 wins with it. Faced some pretty strong opponents too (4000+). Of course, I had been playing the deck for a while first. Helps to find the strong and weak spots.

If you keep struggling with air, you can try switching Guards for Minions otherwise, fits the theme well.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for trying the deck though!
    Wishing you good luck out there.
    Last edited by Morrack; January 20th, 2017 at 07:33 PM.

Banned
    what lvl are your cards

Hi necho, my cards are currently:

- Commons level 9, some (Bomber) level 10
    - Rares level 6 - 7, most 6
    - Epic level 3 - 4, most 4
    - Legends 1 - 2 (Ice Wiz & Log 1, Lumberjack 2)

I like to level all my cards first, since I try out many of them.
    That way I won't be stuck with level 5 Giants for example.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrack View Post
    Believe me, Hog Freeze does not counter this deck. Played against it often enough. Tesla lures the Hog, freeze that all you want. Two towers will still be firing at him and I can still add more defenders for that 4 Freeze elixir.
    Same accounts for the other deck you mention. Tesla to lure the RG, Bomber or Witch to deal with the small units (and also deal damage to the RG).

I'm really not lying here. Been playing this deck for weeks now whenever I feel like ranking up.
    You do know that you can freeze a Tesla underground right??

True, good point. Some players will play Freeze to trap the Tesla underground.
    But is that a real profit?
    Basically they just spent 4 elixir to trap a 4 elixir card. The Hog will run on, but his Freeze has already been used so now you can deploy troops to stop him. He might land a hit or two, but your troops will still be there for the counter and Tesla will be fully operational again.
    I prefer to drop mini PEKKA here, as he will counterattack immediately and your opponent just spent 8 elixir on his attack. Mini PEKKA is fast and hits harder than Hog does so it puts pressure on your opponent right away.

By the way, I've been trying out the Minions for the Guards for a while now and I like it slightly better.
    I love the Guards, that's why I used them. Minions however are able to deal better with Valkyrie and all air troops.
    Updated my guide accordingly.
    Last edited by Morrack; January 21st, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrack View Post
    True, good point. Some players will play Freeze to trap the Tesla underground.
    But is that a real profit?
    Basically they just spent 4 elixir to trap a 4 elixir card. The Hog will run on, but his Freeze has already been used so now you can deploy troops to stop him. He might land a hit or two, but your troops will still be there for the counter and Tesla will be fully operational again.
    I prefer to drop mini PEKKA here, as he will counterattack immediately and your opponent just spent 8 elixir on his attack. Mini PEKKA is fast and hits harder than Hog does so it puts pressure on your opponent right away.

By the way, I've been trying out the Minions for the Guards for a while now and I like it slightly better.
    I love the Guards, that's why I used them. Minions however are able to deal better with Valkyrie and all air troops.
    Updated my guide accordingly.
    I am a 4000+ player and I run a pekka princess miner minion hoard deck