Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Troop events and army compositions

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Troop events and army compositions

Hi everyone, and happy New Year!

This upcoming Dragon event (and troop events in general) got me thinking: how often do you change your army compositions or simply try using troops that you don't generally do?
    In multiplayer you never know what you are going to get (and it also depends on your goal), but in Clan Wars you should adjust your army to whatever base your opponent has - so how often do you find yourself stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new?

Do you follow the Most Effective Tactic Available, stick to old habits or just think completely outside of the box...?
    Official Clash FAQs & Support --> click here

Signature by theblackbeltpanda64

Banned
    As a TH10 in Titan II I didn't find the recent hog rider event particularly useful. Even the ice wizard wasn't that great, especially trying to use 10 to earn a handful of gems.

I tend to just stick with what works for me.
    Last edited by BlindHaze; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm near the end of TH8 so I mostly stick with the same strategies for farming and war, I switch it up in war sometimes. However, I'm going to TH9 in like a month or so, so I'll definitely be messing with some new stuff then.

Hello Anoushka, and Happy New Year to you!

As a early/mid TH10, I personally like to use Dragons (especially if XBows are grounded), but this is a 'Comfort Zone' attack.
    I'd be really interested to know, if anybody has brought back witches into their war composition... as I used to love witches, but unfortunately, they fell off my radar for quite some time!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 16 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...10-s-to-TH12-s My Spec : Mid TH12.

Yes I had to start using Giants to tank for my barch when THs went inside.

Clan war wise I've always stuck to my trust lavaloonian it never fails and at worst gives me one star.
    Last edited by Micheallo; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:30 PM.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka[Supercell] View Post

This upcoming Dragon event (and troop events in general) got me thinking: how often do you change your army compositions or simply try using troops that you don't generally do?
    In multiplayer you never know what you are going to get (and it also depends on your goal), but in Clan Wars you should adjust your army to whatever base your opponent has - so how often do you find yourself stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new?

Do you follow the Most Effective Tactic Available, stick to old habits or just think completely outside of the box...?
    Depends on what my aim is. If I'm trophy pushing then I'll use lavaloon or mass drags. Chasing DE but not bothered about trophies Goblin Knife. Chasing elix/gold then I'll use a bowler/valk combo.

In war I move between drag/loon and Bowlers mostly. Last war I used drag/loon to 3 star a th10 on a dip and lavaloon/bowler to 90% a th11 (should have been 100% but messed up spells badly)

Go to for war is still bowlers in our clan for the most part but I like to try different comps and strategies so I can adjust in war if needed.

Pro Member
    Usually in war I decide on ground or air based on the X-Bows and then troop composition based on the inferno towers and base layout.

Valks/Bowlers or Lavaloon are so good that most of the time it's not worth trying a new combo in raiding or war.

I would love to practice with different combos but its too expensive to train up a new combo.

I liked the event with discounted hog riders, but it would be cool to have that on a larger scale. Could we either have a week every three months or something where all troops and spells are deeply discounted or free troops for friendly challenge?
    Last edited by osuchemnerd; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:39 PM.

Multiplayer is easy..use elix troops to farm de and vice versa. As you rightly said, you never know what you are going to come across, you hit bases your troops are designed to get what you want and simply next the rest.

For war at th8 it's simply dragons with loons in cc. That 3 stars almost any th8.

For th9 first check if air can 3 star the base. If not determine either a QW into valks (bowlers in cc) can do the job. If not, 2 golems and mass valks or goho.

Those th9 attacks tend to cover 99% of whatever th9 has to offer.

For th10 first check if dragons can give you a solid high % 2 stars. If not QW one side and golem/bowlers the other extreme followed by valks up the middle. Finally mass bowlers if the base suits.

No th11 yet so can't comment. 😊

Happy new year!

Banned
    I never change my compositions. I have 3 compositions I use depending on circumstance.

For Farming Gold/Elixir in G3-1

60 Archers, 60 Barbarians, 60 Goblins, 20 Minions. No Spells. No Heroes. GoBAM. (Self Invented)

For Farming Dark Elixir in Crystal 2-1 or Masters 3-1

15 Giants, 61 Goblins, 6 Wall Breakers, 5 Valkyries, 8 Wizards, 1 Rage, 1 Heal, 2 Jump. No Heroes. Core Goblin Knife. (Self Invented, but usage of Giants/Goblins taken from other clashers)

For Trophy Pushing - Any League

1 Golem, 2 Pekka, 4 Wall Breakers, 10 Valkyries, 13 Wizards, 1 Heal, 1 Jump, 1 Haste, 2 Rage. No Heroes. Push. (Self Invented)

As it stands the game only allows 3 compositions to be set to quick training. Until such a time as we are allowed more, I won't bother with any further compositions. I don't often war, focusing solely on base progress, so low cost, high margin, and quick to train armies are the best for Gold/Elixir acquisition, and for DE I can always push right back up to high crystal in half a day or so and get the DE I need for the next upgrade before going back to farming Gold/Elixir.

If we were allowed more slots for quick training I would invent a 4th and 5th powerful and efficient composition for War. Since we aren't, and the new system makes it a pain to slot regular troops outside the quick train setting, I just don't bother. I stick with what works, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Knowledgeable; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:53 PM.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka[Supercell] View Post

You know kittens always jump in the box right ?

I "borrow" attack strategies from other players and tend to stick to that strategy for a while. And it also depends on my goals. For the longest time at Th11 I have had 0 use for dark while needing lots of elixir. Walls anyone
    So my army was pretty dark heavy for a long time. Starting off with an AQ walk a strategy I swiped from one of the best attackers in my clan. Now I've switched to loons / baby drags because one day you made me need 2.5 mil DE all of a sudden again borrowed that strategy. I've gone through many army phases throughout the years varying from giant healer to barch and from loonion to using 240 archer farming in champs leagues.

For war I tend to "pick" my opponents base which suits whatever army I feel most comfortable with at the time. And there's some bases I prefer to attack over others. We never assign war targets but let people choose the base they're comfortable with for their attacking style (within reason of course).

Happy New Year!

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG