Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Jack's War Journal

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Hope it stays alive.

Forum Veteran

Long over due update to thei war journal

Wow it has been a while since I updated this so here goes:
    1. I am still warring last 50 wars have been 42-1-7. I have noticed an increase in the number of draws and the inability to get a war streak over 10. This is for the th8 and lower clans. So what am I to do? Currently warring with a similar line up: 1 th8, 1 th7, 2 th5, 1 th4, 5 th3's. All have all buildings down(not all maxed) as I was doing this before the update. Actually 4 th3's don't have walls but max defenses for that level.
    2. I am moving a few accounts to start warring at th9. That line up is looking to be 1 th9, 2 th7, 3 th5, 4 th3's. I will be having 1 th7 and 2 th5 with only barch offense. One of each of those will have max/near max defenses but with a low offense shouldn't offset the weight too much. The rest will have defenses approx. 2 levels below their th level however all defenses will be put down even if it just stays at level 1. The reason for this is I have seen several clans that run lineups similar.
    3. My main clan was about to start warring again however the 1 gem boost and th12 has caused me to pause that for a bit. That clan will do 15v15 wars with one th at each level th2-11 as well as 5 th12's. This clan will look to max everything.
    4. My main account has been warring in another clan and wow it has been fun. The new siege machine has been fun to use with the war armies I have been using bowitch mostly. I have noticed a lot of people talking about the overpowered offense with this new update and while it might be partially true one needs to remember most are new th12 vs defenses of th11. Very few have been updating defenses before offense. A new th always has and advantage over the previous th level. This is part of the problem with the x.5 method and while I tried it was not a fan. Better to focus on offense like CC, lab, spell factory, army camps then place new defenses and bring up to the previous th level that rather than just sit as a .5.
    5. With lighting buffed I'd say air is strong again which means while I like air but currently behind I will start with ground. Air will be nerfed at some point and I will be ready with ground. This goes with my method of find out what everyone is doing and do the opposite.
    6. Finally anyone tried using a freeze spell at th8? Works very well when ad's are grouped together.

I hope to be able to post tables again soon since it was a lot more fun to update when I could post them.
    If you're not smarter than the guy you're dealing with you lose.
    You failed to utilize the most effective strategy by not using the most available resources to affect your outcome.
    I play to win. You play to see how tough you are.
    Defeat the enemy anyway you can.

Forum Veteran

6/24 Wars, MM, and the future

Just finished up another war with another perfect score. Record over the past 50 wars is 43-1-6 with that loss being 48 wars ago. I find the match maker getting more fair as SC contiunes to make adjustments. However something I thought about long ago appears to be happening.
    While I stick mostly to th8 and lower, this is changing very soon, I have noticed an increase in the lower quality of th8's. My #1 th8 is not what most would consider engineered however it is optimized for war. It is basically a max th7 with new defenses added and upgraded to max th7 levels. AD's, Archer towers, sweepers, and hidden stuff have all be maxed to th8. Only troops upgraded are barch, dragons, loons, minions and valks. I have not upgraded dark barracks to golems nor regular barracks for pekka. 7.5 or some other weird name? Here is what I battle at the #1 often. A th8 maybe they have level 3 dragons. They have unlocked the pekka and golem. Defenses are usually a mix between th7-8. By knowing what to upgrade I am at an advantage over those who don't. Is this fair? Based on the MM it is. Is this an unfair advantage? Based on what I read on the forums many would claim it isn't. So here is the issue fair wars don't mean better wars.
    A long time ago SC introduced the war streak at the same time SC stated that recent performance would be used as a part of the MM process, how much we don't know. Why was this put in place. Those that were around back then were given easy war after easy war. This was before engineering became main stream too. Why were they easy wars? Because there were so many clans and most have no idea how to upgrade nor attack. Many in the "fair play" community think that if SC makes MM more "fair" meaning more equal in weight eliminating engineering that wars will get better. They believe they will have better competition because they will be going against others like them. However there is another part missing. Even today most clans don't know how to attack nor how to upgrade. This means wars might be fair in terms of weight but with so many poor attacking clans good competition, what fair play claims they want, like in the past would be few and far between.
    This could just be a lower th issue. So I'm willing to adjust it. Currently I have 2 clans one th8 and lower and the other all th levels. The later has not warred in some time however I have been taking a few from the clan to travel and war with other clans. This is about to change. The th8 and lower clan will try a th9 and lower experiment that will be done at a slower level. I am less than 20 wars from that clan being level 10. My main clan has 6 th12 as well as a max at almost every th level th2 on up. After the events that end tomorrow as well as the completion of a few war bases that clan will start warring with 1 th2-10 all maxed as well as 6 th12 and see how it goes. Heroes down, factory down? No problem. I think I would have a lot of fun just trying out all aspects of the game. Now if only I could post charts again.
    You failed to utilize the most effective strategy by not using the most available resources to affect your outcome.

Forum Veteran

6/28 War, min max or max min?

Just finished a suprise war that ended in a draw. The other side's th8 was a much stronger attacker than I expected and was able to 3* my th 8. With that draw it is a great time to stop th8 and lower wars till I have had the time to finish th9. It shouldn't be too long but even more is my big clan starting agian.
    So here is a question min max or max min? How will this put people at an advantage in war, if it does at all. I have been an advocate of engineering/rushing for a long time almost as long as I have been playing 4 years at the end of july. So looking at the MM on the threads I am noticing someting and it isn't new. It goes something like this. My fully maxed th9 is getting matched with a th10. Now without getting into the normal stuff like you don't match mirrors and what not. Here is another idea. Recently Darian has said it is best to upgrade everything in your TH before moving to the next th level. I don't know if he is speaking to the masses since most don't know how to rush effectively or there is some change coming that will force everyone to max each th level before moving on. Regardless I do listen to SC and right now we only need to place all items before moving to the next th level. So here goes the strategy:
    We know in CW lower th levels often get 3* and in a large th mix it is really only the top few that determine the war. We also know that SC still uses war weight in the MM although we have no idea what each item is weighted. We know that offense has a weight and defense has a weight. Have one group max offense at each th level place all new defenses but leave defenses at the previous th level. Here is an example. At th9 the max level for an xbow is level 3 and their are only 2 xbows to place. At th 10 you get a 3rd xbow. So for th10 place that xbow but upgrade it only to level 3. Place IT but leave them at level 1. This will limit defense weight that should still be strong enough to stop the previous th from 3*. With max offense and lower defense one should keep from attracting a next higher up th level. This is only half the battle since having full offense and limited defense makes one venerable to an attack from the same th level. With SC id this is a great time to start another account however this one needs to be the opposite. Max defense min offense. Basically Barch and lighting upgrade only. Now you have max defense but limited offense again not a fully maxed base that will again not attract the next th level up. Why barch plus lighting? This is the basic farm strategy and the lighting can zap wiz towers or de drills. In war barch troops are released with the Bk and Aq abilities. You might need Gibarch but 3*ing the th below isn't as hard as most think.
    Want to have it work for you even more? For offense divide into 2 more groups all with the same defense however on offense have one side upgrade only air troops and the other only ground. This might throw the MM off too much but the theory sounds good.
    Will this create an advantage in war? Probably. Is this engineering? Certainly not the traditional engineering that many claim is destroying the game. Is this gaming the system? Most likely however it is understanding how the game works. To go with Boom Beach come in with a plan or leave in defeat.
    Want to create the ultimate advantage? Max the highest th available at the current time that is th12. Get there asap and max from there. 5 accounts strong moving in this direction.

Forum Veteran

7/3 War 12v12

So I have just finished attacking in my 1st 5v5 war. It contained all th12's on both sides. I will post a table later but lets just say I got beat soundly 9-12. Yes I have several rushed accounts and it will take several weeks to get them strong enough to be legit however it wont take several years as most predict. I did have the hero advantage except when you are warring with heroes down it isn't much of an advantage. No excuses here we just adapt and attack, doing our best. Still I think it will be fun to war at least once per week to see how things progressed. Most attacks were baby laloon since it is a strong 2* with heroes down. Also got some interesting learning with the siege machines including sometimes it's better to use the blimp like when the aq is down and you are air attacking however it is still good to have valks with a rage ready for the th since all but 1 attack made it to the th and they put their th in the center. This was a great experience and even though a loss was lots of fun. Now that I have an upgrade plan I will be posting that in the next few posts.

Forum Veteran

War results

1st attempt at the chart made in the forums. Would be nice to be able to cut and paste again but I guess this will work.
    TH BK AQ GW GT EA IT XB WT(K) TH BK AQ GW GT EA IT XB WT(K)
    1 12 52 53 20 1 2 5X2 5X4 115 12 31 47 20 1 2 5X2 5X4 114
    2 12 50 51 20 2 1 2X2 4X4 112 12 27 36 20 1 2 5X2 5X4 113
    3 12 46 48 10 2 1 1X2 1X4 108 12 25 36 20 2 2 5X2 5X4 113
    4 12 46 49 20 2 1 1x2 1x4 108 12 14 17 16 3 2 5x5 5x4 113
    5 12 43 49 20 1 1 1x2 1x4 107 12 16 22 20 2 2 5x2 5x4 113
    60 237 250 90 8 6 20 55 552 60 113 158 96 9 10 50 100 556
    ws 5 ws 3
    sc 9 ws 12
    As you can see I had an advantage with heroes but lacked in the big defenses levels. They were easily able to 3* #4&5. Advantage to the non engineers? With only one war we shall see. People always assume that giving up 3* for 6 is an advantage however in big wars that isn't usually so since 3* are much more difficult. Looking at their war log they do 5v5 and usually get 10* so the engineered would be at a disadvantage here. I also have a lack of recent experience at the higher level attacking. That should quickly change as I am able to FC myself often now. I will probably stick to wars once per week for now with this clan to see how I progress on a weekly base. I am also considering adding some of my lower th's maybe one per th level and moving to 15v15 however I would need to bring up my th9/10 before I do.

Forum Veteran

7/13 war

Another war with my big clan and another lost. This time I added th2-10 plus my big 6. War matchup looked fair. I had an advantage on heroes however my 4 rushed th12 did hurt. The other side knew what they were doing. Their 6th12's had maxed bowlers and witches. Since none of my th12 have war troops maxed yet we lost 39-43.
    Still working my plan and moving along nicely several heroes were down but I did manage to 2* all their th12's which if rushed were only slightly.
    My son joined me in this war so there were 2 of us and it was fun. The other clan appeared to be mostly a one man clan as 8 accounts all had the same name.
    For those complaining about search times ours took 52 minutes. Even if rushed/engineered it would appear if you search with common factors 10v10 or 15v15 and at good times. I did at 5am PDT as I'm in California. Th range didn't matter as it was th2-12 but agree it should be faster if you keep a tighter range.
    I doubt I will be able to war next week as I will be going on vacation for the next 2. It was at the Jersey shore where I 1st started playing this game 4 years ago. As much as this game has changed it is still fun and the basics really haven't changed much.

Forum Veteran

8/20 war

Time for another update. Yes I have still been warring but did take a little time off as I kept getting draws in the the and lower clan. Was hoping to have it move to level 10 but abandoned that idea for now. Currently that clan is leftover.
    My current war line up is as follows:
    1. Th9 maxed (just a few troops left to upgrade as well as barracks)
    2. Th7 fully maxed
    3. Th7 moving toward maxed but only gibarch
    4. Th5 maxed
    5. Th5 maxed defense with gibarch offense
    6. Th3 maxed
    7-10. Th3 maxed defense no walls.
    Won the past 3 wars with little trouble as I'm facing mostly rushed th9's up top. Previous war was a maxed defense th9 and their offense was very low not even teen heroes.
    For th9 I use the following army 13 witches, 2 golems, 2 minions, 2 rage, 2 jump, pioson, cc is maxed bowlers and skelly spell. Perfect with that army in 3 wars.

With the mm doing funny things for those with a mix of th level and some engineering and some not the only way I see to have an advantage right now is either all maxed th12 or the following:
    2 at each th level 1 will have max offense and gibarch troops with lighting. The other one will have max offense or at least bowitch and babylaloon with defenses maxed to the previous th. All new defenses will be placed and upgraded to the previous th level. Upgrade all hidden stuff and keep the new to the th level defenses at level 1.
    Darian has now said it is best to fully upgrade before moving to the next th level (maxing) and while I still rush to the th desired and max from there if you're not in the top spot. It would appear best to keep a closer range of your offense and defense weight. That is why the change to max and min at the specific th level.
    As always war is a team effort and each member needs to play their part to be the most effective. The free for all was and is currently not a good idea. This is however how most clans opperate.