Thread: Overgrown - experimental war base for max TH8

Overgrown - experimental war base for max TH8

The base:
    v1 was an attempt to prevent TH9 2xZapquake, and not succeeded in doing so

v1.1 had a lot of fixes
    Scout view / With traps / CC Radius

Overgrown v2.0 - complete remake

This is experimental base, it explores 3 concepts which are new to me:
    1) open core / island type base, instead of conventional box with shared walls
    2) ADs placed openly in the dead zone instead of protecting them with buildings
    3) sweeper on the Teslas instead of sweeper on the ADs

Are those concepts viable? Time will tell.

NotAHero, jyco, Slamwise, AdmiralOblong, jlam2 - thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Base looks like someone accidentally dropped anti-3 on concrete floor and it shattered, but it should work.
    I don't see any glaring weaknesses, thus further major redesigns are unlikely. You may build it at this point.

Dragons:
    Frontal attacks (TH side) into deadzone are very unlikely to succeed. Sloppy funneling might leave both AD standing.
    Side attacks might get 3 stars, but I did my best to discourage them and make them harder. East side is vulnerable, if you know where to place spells.
    Any base could be 3starred by dragons, but this is definitely not the easiest one. Cookie-cutter attacks should not get 3stars.

There is a no-fly zone in the center. Any balloons traveling from 1 AD to another will be grounded.
    The shocking news is that 4 maxed air bombs don't kill a pack of level 7 Balloons, but there are enough wiz towers to damage them, so it's very likely that they will drop instantly. Sometimes they split though.

Hogging proved to be a huge PITA even if you know where all traps are. I don't think anyone would want to hog that.

It is still vulnerable to GoVaHo, but much less than v1, you actually have to do a good attack now.
    GoWiPe should be no problem.
    Mass valks - not tested, but the base should work, IMO.

CC is unlurable by 1 giant/hog. Easiest lure point is at north corner, but there are no space for CC kill, forcing attacker to pull CC troops all the way across the map to good anchor points, wasting time.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Good luck!

P.S. you can salvage 1 wall piece from the deadzone (next to the small bombs) if you know where it would be useful.

Logs:
    TH8 GoWiVa
    + + + +

TH8 GoWiPe
    + +

TH8 Zapquake
    + + - + + + + + + -

TH9 2xZapquake
    - + - - - - -

Known problems:
    • there are not enough logs yet
    • valks would break into Telsa compartment, because there no offsets
    • valks/pekkas might break into small islands randomly
    • east side is vulnerable to dragons, I might extend the deadzone in that proves to be a problem
    • vulnerable to AQ because there are no walls to stop her from following dragons
    • only 3 of the springs are really good, 1 is ok, 2 meh
    Last edited by rhymquimghyf; September 15th, 2016 at 06:25 AM.

THIS POST IS OUTDATED.
    See first post for v2.

Some of you might remember me. I design ugly bases. Sometimes I take other people's designs and make them ugly.

Well, it's time for another one.

I'm max TH8. There is nothing left to upgrade. It means that I'm the top TH8 in any roster, and there is 50% chance that my mirror will be TH9, and 80% chance that I will get attacked by early TH9 on a fresh hit.

I have excellent anti-3 (kudos to Lennett), but it almost always gets tripled by double zapquake, so I need something more robust against dragons, while retaining ability to repel common TH8 attacks (sorted by popularity: Dragons, GoWiPe, mass Valk, Hogs)

I came out with an anti-dragon core that seem to be impossible to 3* with TH8 dragons, and showed promising results against double zapquake in FC. (see updates below)

This is the first base built around that core. The concept is highly experimental - open base with defensive islands.
    Is it good or bad? I don't know, I don't have any logs yet.
    This is the first draft, there are mistakes and imperfections.

The base:
    v1

v1.1
    Scout view:

With traps:

CC Radius

Features (experimental, might not work as expected):

Anti-Dragon core/configuration: asymmetrical ADs limit attack options to SW or SE. Cluster of builder huts slows down raged dragons, forcing them to re-target after every breath. CC and King positioned to distract dragons when they get close to ADs.
    After destroying ADs, dragons will face 4 ATs and 3 Teslas heavily protected by high HP buildings and a sweeper, while having no spells and no control over the situation.

Defensive islands: troops that can't cross walls will not path there until everything else is destroyed. Wizards will walk past them. Golem, deployed on the TH side will attack the wall, while any other troops (Wizards, Pekkas, King, Valks) will walk into the core and trigger CC. This is intentional. I also tried to limit the usefulness of the EQ spell.

Giant bombs: All bombs are placed outside the walls to force a heal on Valks traveling around islands. This requirement limits anti-hog placement options, but I did my best to make them not defusable with 2-3 surgical hogs. I also wanted them to be in the range with Wiz towers, so Hogs will die instantly if not pre-healed, but not directly adjacent to Wiz towers, because it's the logical spot to drop a Heal. Not happy with current placement.

Results/Logs (so far FC only):

Dragons
    :
    TH8 dragons: many people tried, the common opinion is that it's not possible from any side (update: mutiple 3stars in CW)
    TH9 dragons3 double zapquake without AQ: 1 person tried multiple times, successful defense (update: 3stars every time)
    TH9 dragons4 double zapquake: easy 3star, with or without heroes

GoWiPe:
    TH8 GoWiPe: unknown, but I expect good results (update: good results indeed)
    TH9 GoWiPe: unknown

GoWiVa: 2 people tried, successful defense

Hogs/GoHo: mixed results

Surgical EQ GoVaHo: easy 3star, but I haven't seen a base that isn't

War logs/edits will follow.

Known problems:

• TH8 dragons can take it out
    • Weak to surgical EQ GoVaHo
    • TH side has no AQ protection.
    • GB placement is suboptimal
    • backside AD can be taken out with loons+haste
    • frontside ADs can be taken out with a single quake, leaving TH9 attacker with an extra haste for loons
    • King is completely useless where it is now. He is too deep to protect ADs, but still out of range for all Teslas
    • there are huge problems with loon pathing. In the worst case scenario, loons go on the outside ring, kill some towers, and arrive to killzone late, when all red bombs are already triggered by dragons, and all point defenses are distracted, killing Teslas.
    • Pekka can break into left island
    Last edited by rhymquimghyf; August 20th, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

Forum Veteran
    Interesting concept, your bases are extremely unique! Really wanna see this in action...

I like the way you have clumped the Storages and other insignificant buildings. This, along with the Tesla Farm and pair of ADs, should really help counter a Drag funnel to the core!

The islands should be successful at wasting the attacker's time, a concept used lots in Anti-Drag configurations! Great work!

Really liking the base so far...I'll see if I can edit in any issues or potential problems I find!
    Exordium, a YouTuber and regular poster and Clasher! Hope my tips helped, look here for daily videos with commentary featuring advanced yet beginner friendly strategy! Always give me your honest feedback!https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96...confirmation=1

Quote Originally Posted by ExordiumYT View Post
    The islands should be successful at wasting the attacker's time, a concept used lots in Anti-Drag configurations!
    Islands are death sentence to any GoWiPe/GoWiVa without backend troops. Troops will travel past them.
    AQ will remedy that (to an extent). We'll see.
    Last edited by rhymquimghyf; July 29th, 2016 at 09:32 AM.

Reserved for my review/comments

Also, added your version of the base to my OP, and gave it a nice heading as well as thanks in the description

Retired from forums, about to retire from CoC and CR.
    Isn't it weak to double Zapquake hitting both of ADs near TH?
    Retired on Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmaka3m View Post
    Sometimes I want to smash my head into a wall after checking the forums. I don't know how mods survived this long on the forums.
    Awesome sig made by KingKappa, who unfortunately is retired.

Retired from forums, about to retire from CoC and CR.
    And you should push out walls near def island-wiz have range of 3 I believe so your walls need to be 2 away from cannon

other than that looks solid
    Retired on Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmaka3m View Post
    Sometimes I want to smash my head into a wall after checking the forums. I don't know how mods survived this long on the forums.
    Awesome sig made by KingKappa, who unfortunately is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by SpearGobs View Post
    And you should push out walls near def island-wiz have range of 3 I believe so your walls need to be 2 away from cannon

Walls work against wizards, but not against archers. Shorter distance = more compact base.

Isn't it weak to double Zapquake hitting both of ADs near TH?
    Hard to tell. There is still a lot of HP and DPS protected by sweeper.

I'm more worried about lucky balloon timing.

Fresh Spawn
    Hi,

I love weird design so I have built as soon as I saw this one. I'am currently in champions league so i will give you the results against strong attackers.

Pro Member OnomatopoeiaDeerMeatMan's Avatar
    Scamming the Nigerian Prince Scammers (Actually for Real)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearGobs View Post

I thought wiz and arch were both 3.5, so if there was a wall then 2 spaces then the building they couldn't hit it
    Max TH9 27/27 | Max TH9 16/22 | High TH8.75 10/10 | Max TH8 9 | 4 Engineered Minis
    Clans: BELLOBANANA, Rising Tide!, On The Edge and Legacy Division. Proud OTer
    Avid base designer and attacker, PM me for TH7-11 anti 3 bases or help on attacks
    Brennan Hale Rube, 12/09/15. Our base was featured in Cam's video, where it was attacked in a big AW! Check out my soundcloud here.