Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] How to Use Gems Effectively

Banned

[Guide] How to Use Gems Effectively

Use Gems to Fit Your Life-Style as well as Your Play-Style

Let me get this out of the way: I am not a gemmer, but I have learned/observed a few tricks in my day on how to use them. There is not a whole lot guides to help gemmers, so I hope that this will help.

Gems are the most valuable resource in the game, hands down. They can buy resourceIs, time, and boost several buildings. They can be obtained two two main ways: by purchasing them or by removing obstacles/achievements.

Getting Gems
    When purchasing them, ALWAYS remain within your real life means, no one will care that you have all zap walls if you can't pay rent. A general rule with gems is bulk is better, so don't space them out, if you think you're going to use them, buy them in one go so you'll get more for your money.

When getting them from obstacles don't gem any part of them as it's counterproductive to do so. You currently can only get 0-3 gems per obstacle. They spawn every eight hours unless you already have forty obstacles on the map or have no spawnable area(at least 2x2 area not within one tile of anything).

Achievements are a one time deal, but can be very helpful in achieving gems. You can get 1412 gems in total from achievements.

Using the Gems
    Almost every aspect of the game can be gemmed. I'll introduce them by section.

Builders
    Almost always the best use of gems. Unless you already have a completely maxed base you can always use more of these guys. By far the best use of gems.

It was requested that I add the cost of the builders so here you go:
    Second:250(required to buy this one)
    Third: 500
    Fourth:1 000
    Fifth:2 000

Resources
    Not usually the best use of gems. Often farming the resources and gemming the time is the best use besides builders. However, should you gem resources do so in the biggest quantity possible with maxed storages as you get more resources per gem than when you do smaller quantities.

Boosting Collectors
    This changed significantly after the birthday boost. You still can potentially get more from other sources, but this one can now be very effective. It's best to use it on drills.

Upgrade Times
    Probably the best use of gems besides builders. You should gem time sooner rather than later as with almost everything gem related bulk is better. The best things to buy time on are splash damage upgrades, air defense upgrades, and barracks/spell factory upgrades. Then either upgrades that enhance your army(eg laboratory, army camps) or intimidating upgrades(for a full guide see my signature).

Some other things to upgrade as said by MintberryCrunch

Quote Originally Posted by MintberryCrunch View Post
    Especially great things to gem are the build time on the laboratory and the last couple levels of the DE drill. With the lab, you're basically getting double for your money because you free up your builder and your lab for the price of one. In the case of the DE drill, you get the production going again, and the amount of DE it produces during what would have been the build time is quite substantial (for L6, it's 19,200 DE in lost production to wait the full 8 days).

Gemming Troops/Spells
    I'll also count the CC request in this category. Not the best use of gems. CC requests are absurdly over priced, and if you need to rerequest that often you may need a new clan.Spell gemming costs twice the number of gems per minute than other gem timings. Troop gemming may be the best use in this category, but as the bulk rule falls into play it's best to have the longest troops in one barracks and gem them all in one go.

Boosting Barracks/ Spells
    This is fairly more effective as you get more of a bonus in terms of time saved. Useful when you want to raid at a specific time a lot and need more than one army ready quickly.

Healing Heroes
    Overpriced, but a necessity for some. Don't do it so they're for defense as they're terrible on defense. Bulk rule applies.

Decorations
    ...Why? They don't do anything, but if they're your style, then...

Sheilds
    Maybe for the right type of player these are good, but waiting around is so boring and you'd be better off just positioning your town hall to get a free sheild. Bulk rule applies.

I think that's it. The point of gems is to give yourself a little boost, but if used properly they can turn you into a champion. I hope this helps.

Since I have nowhere else really to put this, I'll do it here:NEVER EVER, UPGRADE YOUR TOWN HALL WITH GEMS UNLESS THE MAJORITY OF THE BUILDINGS AVAILABLE AT THAT LEVEL ARE MAXED. There are hidden loot penalties that leave premature town halls in place that often will require them to restart the game. Please for the love of all things holy in this world heed this warning.

Loot Penalties Explained

Cost Calculator

Edit:Maybe I wasn't clear, but it doesn't matter, as I'll clarify anyways: this guide isn't intended to encourage gem use(if anything discourage), but rather provide advice on how to use them best. We all get gems from plants, so why not try to see how they could be best used.

The post below this one is another guide on the subject
    written by test.
    Last edited by Forte; August 25th, 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added Links

I've done something like this before, not sure I ever posted here or just on my old clan page ... I disagree with a bit of what you said about time and spells/baracks. If your builders are not busy it is better to gem gold not time, if your farming enough to keep all builders occupied and have maxed your gold, I agree gem the time on your longest build and used up your gold. But if you cannot keep builders busy, gem gold (as a general rule, never gem elix)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here was my guide:

Not every gem is created equally, or used equally. I will go over the math (or maths if you prefer), but I will start with the conclusions if you do not what to read everything. There are basically three ways to use gems (1) buy resources (2) hurry construction of upgrades (3) hurry troops/spells, I'm ignoring shields and hero sleep times because I dont have much advice there. So, here are the guidelines, supported with arguments below:

Buying Resources: Always fill up your storages to the max! Click on the + symbol and select the max fill button! NEVER purchase less than the maximum amount of a resource! You should only really fill gold and dark elix. You should be able to raid enough for all your elix needs if you are farming. If you are trophy hunting you will need to fill your elix to buy troops after about 2600 (maybe)

Hurrying construction: Always hurry LONG build times. Supercell penalizes you for hurrying short build times. Longer is better!

Hurrying troops/spells: This is harder to optimize, read below for advice. Generally, it is cheaper to use the boost production button than buying the troops/spells outright, but requires some optimization (see below).

Buying Resources explained:
    Basically, when you buy more resources the cost per unit is less. For example, in my game right now I can buy 800,100 gold for 494 gems (1gem=1620 gold) or 4,000,500 gold for 1400 (1gem=2858 gold) or 7,367,536 gold for 2298 gems (1gem=3206 gold). It is always cheaper in the long run to buy more resources. If you need just 500k more gold for an upgrade, it is very expensive to purchase that small amount with gems. You are way better off to fill your storage and then dump the rest into walls. Supercell knows you will not spend more gems than you need, so they penalize you.

Hurrying construction explained:
    Same argument as with resources. Right now in my game I can hurry 2h25m for 34 gems (1gem=4.26min) or 3d3h for 526 gems (1gem=8.6min). You get TWICE as much bang for your buck by hurrying the longer time. So, say you have 4 builders with the following times, 2d, 2d, 2d, 6d. You are MUCH better off to hurry the 6d construction than all three shorter times. IT IS NOT THE SAME. Supercell was very smart here. They know human nature; it only costs a small amount of gems to hurry those last few hours, so you are more willing to do it. But now you know this is a huge waste of your gems, it costs two or three times the $$$. I dont have a long build time right now to do the math for a 10 day upgrade, but it is actually really cheap to hurry those long construction times.

Hurrying troops explained:
    This is more difficult. I won't do the math, but trust me, you get more bang for your buck by using the 25 gem boost. The problem is that if you fill your barracks, while you are attacking, your boosted barracks is not making any troops, gems wasted! The idea is to leave 20 or so spaces in your camps while you attack so the barracks you boosted can still make troops while you are looking for an attack or attacking (or dont hit the return home button and troops will be constantly created. An alternative is to make a dragon/pekka while you attack if you use these in your attacking army, or to donate to others. Even boosted, the barracks takes 7-15 min to make dragons/pekkas, enough time for you to go attack. If you do this, barracks boosting is better than geming troops. If you do not do this, it is hard to say which is the better option.

Clash on!
    Last edited by test; July 31st, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Sleeping

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by test View Post
    I've done something like this before, not sure I ever posted here or just on my old clan page ... I disagree with a bit of what you said about time and spells/baracks. If your builders are not busy it is better to gem gold not time, if your farming enough to keep all builders occupied and have maxed your gold, I agree gem the time on your longest build and used up your gold. But if you cannot keep builders busy, gem gold (as a general rule, never gem elix)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here was my guide:

Not every gem is created equally, or used equally. I will go over the math (or maths if you prefer), but I will start with the conclusions if you do not what to read everything. There are basically three ways to use gems (1) buy resources (2) hurry construction of upgrades (3) hurry troops/spells, I'm ignoring shields and hero sleep times because I dont have much advice there. So, here are the guidelines, supported with arguments below:

Buying Resources: Always fill up your storages to the max! Click on the + symbol and select the max fill button! NEVER purchase less than the maximum amount of a resource! You should only really fill gold and dark elix. You should be able to raid enough for all your elix needs if you are farming. If you are trophy hunting you will need to fill your elix to buy troops after about 2600 (maybe)
    Hurrying construction: Always hurry LONG build times. Supercell penalizes you for hurrying short build times. Longer is better!
    Hurrying troops/spells: This is harder to optimize, read below for advice. Generally, it is cheaper to use the boost production button than buying the troops/spells outright, but requires some optimization (see below).

Buying Resources explained:
    Basically, when you buy more resources the cost per unit is less. For example, in my game right now I can buy 800,100 gold for 494 gems (1gem=1620 gold) or 4,000,500 gold for 1400 (1gem=2858 gold) or 7,367,536 gold for 2298 gems (1gem=3206 gold). It is always cheaper in the long run to buy more resources. If you need just 500k more gold for an upgrade, it is very expensive to purchase that small amount with gems. You are way better off to fill your storage and then dump the rest into walls. Supercell knows you will not spend more gems than you need, so they penalize you.

Hurrying construction explained:
    Same argument as with resources. Right now in my game I can hurry 2h25m for 34 gems (1gem=4.26min) or 3d3h for 526 gems (1gem=8.6min). You get TWICE as much bang for your buck by hurrying the longer time. So, say you have 4 builders with the following times, 2d, 2d, 2d, 6d. You are MUCH better off to hurry the 6d construction than all three shorter times. IT IS NOT THE SAME. Supercell was very smart here. They know human nature; it only costs a small amount of gems to hurry those last few hours, so you are more willing to do it. But now you know this is a huge waste of your gems, it costs two or three times the $$$. I dont have a long build time right now to do the math for a 10 day upgrade, but it is actually really cheap to hurry those long construction times.

Hurrying troops explained:
    This is more difficult. I won't do the math, but trust me, you get more bang for your buck by using the 25 gem boost. The problem is that if you fill your barracks, while you are attacking, your boosted barracks is not making any troops, gems wasted! The idea is to leave 20 or so spaces in your camps while you attack so the barracks you boosted can still make troops while you are looking for an attack or attacking (or dont hit the return home button and troops will be constantly created. An alternative is to make a dragon/pekka while you attack if you use these in your attacking army, or to donate to others. Even boosted, the barracks takes 7-15 min to make dragons/pekkas, enough time for you to go attack. If you do this, barracks boosting is better than geming troops. If you do not do this, it is hard to say which is the better option.

Clash on!
    Fair enough at least it's the second post so it's easy to find . Like this we have two sides of the same coin on one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Fair enough at least it's the second post so it's easy to find . Like this we have two sides of the same coin on one thread.
    Didn't mean to try to steal your thunder ... you seem to like a good debate just remembered I had that written up and a second thread seemed silly
    Sleeping

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by test View Post
    Didn't mean to try to steal your thunder ... you seem to like a good debate just remembered I had that written up and a second thread seemed silly
    Yeah, lol. Sorry I didn't do a search I just took other people's words for it from the other thread. You can edit in a link to that post if you'd like. The guide is to help people not give me fifteen minutes of fame, so the more advice the better.

The most effective way to use gemz is to only buy builders and farm like a baws!

useless topic im not gonna read this much of talk, but take as advice, I have used above 2000$, best way to use gem is not to use them. as its really beyond the reality for this greedy people out there.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Let me get this out of the way: I am not a gemmer, but I have learned/observed a few tricks in my day on how to use them. There is not a whole lot guides to help gemmers, so I hope that this will help.

Gems are the most valuable resource in the game, hands down. They can buy resourceIs, time, and boost several buildings. They can be obtained two two main ways: by purchasing them or by removing obstacles/achievements.

Getting Gems
    When purchasing them, ALWAYS remain within your real life means, no one will care that you have all zap walls if you can't pay rent. A general rule with gems is bulk is better, so don't space them out, if you think you're going to use them, buy them in one go so you'll get more for your money.

When getting them from obstacles don't gem any part of them as it's counterproductive to do so. You currently can only get 0-3 gems per obstacle. They spawn every eight hours unless you already have forty obstacles on the map or have no spawnable area(at least 2x2 area not within one tile of anything).

Achievements are a one time deal, but can be very helpful in achieving gems. You can get 1412 gems in total from achievements.

Using the Gems
    Almost every aspect of the game can be gemmed. I'll introduce them by section.

Builders
    Almost always the best use of gems. Unless you already have a completely maxed base you can always use more of these guys. By far the best use of gems.

Resources
    Not usually the best use of gems. Often farming the resources and gemming the time is the best use besides builders. However, should you gem resources do so in the biggest quantity possible with maxed storages as you get more resources per gem than when you do smaller quantities.

Boosting Collectors
    Don't do it. The amount of extra resources you get can be bought even at the same amount cheaper(eg get 18k elixir when you could buy 20k). This may be different for drills, but it's still very inefficient.

Upgrade Times
    Probably the best use of gems besides builders. You should gem time sooner rather than later as with almost everything gem related bulk is better. The best things to buy time on are splash damage upgrades, air defense upgrades, and barracks/spell factory upgrades. Then either upgrades that enhance your army(eg laboratory, army camps) or intimidating upgrades(for a full guide see my signature).

Gemming Troops/Spells
    I'll also count the CC request in this category. Not the best use of gems. CC requests are absurdly over priced, and if you need to rerequest that often you may need a new clan.Spell gemming costs twice the number of gems per minute than other gem timings. Troop gemming may be the best use in this category, but as the bulk rule falls into play it's best to have the longest troops in one barracks and gem them all in one go.

Boosting Barracks/ Spells
    This is fairly more effective as you get more of a bonus in terms of time saved. Useful when you want to raid at a specific time a lot and need more than one army ready quickly.

Healing Heroes
    Overpriced, but a necessity for some. Don't do it so they're for defense as they're terrible on defense. Bulk rule applies.

Decorations
    ...Why? They don't do anything, but if they're your style, then...

Sheilds
    Maybe for the right type of player these are good, but waiting around is so boring and you'd be better off just positioning your town hall to get a free sheild. Bulk rule applies.

I think that's it. The point of gems is to give yourself a little boost, but if used properly they can turn you into a champion. I hope this helps.

Since I have nowhere else really to put this, I'll do it here:NEVER EVER, UPGRADE YOUR TOWN HALL WITH GEMS UNLESS THE MAJORITY OF THE BUILDINGS AVAILABLE AT THAT LEVEL ARE MAXED. There are hidden loot penalties that leave premature town halls in place that often will require them to restart the game. Please for the love of all things holy in this world heed this warning.

Loot Penalties Explained

Cost Calculator

The post below this one is another guide on the subject written by test.

Banned
    Wow you guys did it. To all gemmers, I've got nothing but admiration (and jelly. How I wish I can afford them).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
    useless topic im not gonna read this much of talk, but take as advice, I have used above 2000$, best way to use gem is not to use them. as its really beyond the reality for this greedy people out there.

Cheers,
    You're welcome to read what you choose, but if you'll read the penultimate paragraph(the edit) You may see this guide is different than you expected.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBandana View Post
    The most effective way to use gemz is to only buy builders and farm like a baws!
    Yes, of course, builders are the most important thing you can purchase, the OP's guide is more how to optimize your gem usage after those builders are purchased if you chose to spend more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubai View Post

Cheers,
    Thank you for the constructive post sir, but some people like to purchase gems (from $5 up to $10,000) it is interesting to try to optimize the usage of gems. Me (and many other gemmers) have spent a lot of time trying to minimize gem usage, this is a very interesting discussion and I really hope to hear from others as to ways we can maximize the buying power of each gem.

As an aside, really glad to see more posts for us gemmers
    Sleeping