Thread: Farming/Hybrid Base Design Checklist!

Farming/Hybrid Base Design Checklist!

Town Hall 8 Farming/Hybrid Base Design Checklist

Here are some tips for your Town Hall 8 farming/hybrid base. Although not all of these are absolutely required, they will make your base a lot better. This short guide is great as a checklist after you create a TH8 farming base, to make sure that your base is good enough to use/publish. Note that the items listed below are not in any particular order of importance.

1. Spread out storages. If you have all of your storages in the center of your base, it may seem like a good idea at first, but the problem is if an attacker brings a stronger army, such as GiWiz or GoWiPe or a TH9 attack, they will be able to get all of your resources in the center of your base all at once, which is what you do not want. Instead, if you spread out your storages, you sacrifice 1 or 2 easy storages, but the attacker will not be able to get all of your resources in one raid.

2. Wizard towers protecting storages from behind. Wizard towers are one of the biggest threats to barbarians, archers, and giants. If you put them behind your storages, they will be able to hammer down on weak units while they are still hitting the high-hitpoint storages, contrary to if the wizard towers are in front of the storages, the troops will take the wizard towers out first, then move on to take out your resources unharmed.

3. Town Hall in the core. At Town Hall 8, you want your Town Hall to be inside the core. This will protect the Town Hall, which will in turn protect your resources (since the TH is a resource storage). You don't want a weak army such as Barch to get your exposed Town Hall. Trapped Town Halls (troll bases) are a complete no-no!

4. Giant bombs placed near storages. Unlike in wars, where you must use your giant bombs to protect your base from hog riders, in farming, you use giant bombs to defend against barbarians, archers, and goblins. Obviously, your storages are the most important structure to defend in a farming base, so place your giant bombs near storages. As the units move to the storages in large groups, one giant bomb will instantly kill the entire group of troops.

5. Anti-giant funneling ring. Giants are used in many farming compositions. If you have an anti-giant funneling system in which giants will go around the base instead of into it, your base will defend a lot more. To do this, place defenses in a ring around the outer layer of the base, and between the "defense ring" and the core, place lots of storages, collectors, and other non-defensive buildings. This will force the giants to move from defense to defense around the base instead of straight into the core.

6. Spring traps between defenses. Adding on to the previous point, in order to defend against giants, place spring traps in between two defenses. This will spring off up to 3 giants at once, severely threatening the attack. Unlike giant bombs, giants hit by spring traps cannot be healed by the attacker.

7. Teslas in unexpected locations. I see a lot of bases with walls around an empty 2 by 2 space. Almost always, I can predict that there will be teslas in those empty compartments. With your farming base, you do not want the teslas to be predictable. Place them where the attacker will not expect them. It is okay if they are on the outside of the base, because this will actually help in confusing the attacker when his/her giants reroute to the tesla instead of where they were supposed to go, or the tesla will distract barbarians and archers as they are trying to take out the outside structures of the base.

8. Wizard towers covering mortars' dead zones. Mortars not too exposed and not too close together. Mortars are very powerful against Barch units, but their only weakness is that they have a dead zone where they cannot fire. Use wizard towers to protect these dead zones of the mortars. Also, you want your mortars protected in the base. Don't place them outside where they can be easily taken out. Don't place them all in the core, otherwise the attacker can lightning-spell more than one of them at a time.

9. T-junctions/scattered junctions.
    Some of you might not know what these are. See this short thread. Having these in your base helps you defend against wallbreakers, since the attacker will have to use lots more wallbreakers to get into the core of your base.

10. Have free buildings for the attacker to collect for percentage. Now that you only get a shield after the attacker gets at least 30% off your base, you want to force the attacker to get you that magic number of 30%. To do that, place a lot of outside structures out of range of defenses, so that the attacker can pick them up for percentage, and they will count towards the 30% needed.

If you have at least 7/10 of the items listed above, your base is in great shape! You are ready to use it in your village, or you can publish it here on the forums for all of us to admire and use as well!
    IGN: Past Amazing
    Clan: Past Used By (#2GRCCP28)
    YouTube Channel (300k+ subs): Past Amazing

Nice one! Sad that I am not a TH8 anymore

IGN: Sir Tomas | Co-Leader Invictus Lords | TH11 Lvl 172
    Invictus: Kings-Lords-Beasts-Nobles-Fire

~~~~ Invictus Family Recruiting~~~~

Hey jlam, nice guide!

I was wondering about which defenses should be prioritized in the core. Splash damage or point defenses. Is it just a matter of opinion? In your mega cube, the core is a mixture of both, but in the th8 version of crows, the core only consists of point defenses. Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
    Hey jlam, nice guide!

I was wondering about which defenses should be prioritized in the core. Splash damage or point defenses. Is it just a matter of opinion? In your mega cube, the core is a mixture of both, but in the th8 version of crows, the core only consists of point defenses. Which would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Personally I like the idea of having splash damage and point damage in the core, especially at TH8 when lots of people use Barch, and level 5 giants are extremely weak to splash damage at TH8 since they barely have any hitpoints. If you have all point defense, especially if the base has an anti-giant funneling system, the Barch units will head into the base almost completely unharmed.

For the Mega-Cube, if I had all my splash damage outside, the base would be weak since my mortars are WAY too exposed to the point where they can be almost targeted directly, and their dead zone where they cannot fire would be extending outside the walls.

For Crows, on the other hand, the mortars are not on the out-most layer, so they still serve a purpose.

So it depends on the base design. If you have any questions about a particular base design and where to place defenses, PM me or reply to this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by jlam2 View Post
    Personally I like the idea of having splash damage and point damage in the core, especially at TH8 when lots of people use Barch, and level 5 giants are extremely weak to splash damage at TH8 since they barely have any hitpoints. If you have all point defense, especially if the base has an anti-giant funneling system, the Barch units will head into the base almost completely unharmed.

For the Mega-Cube, if I had all my splash damage outside, the base would be weak since my mortars are WAY too exposed to the point where they can be almost targeted directly, and their dead zone where they cannot fire would be extending outside the walls.

For Crows, on the other hand, the mortars are not on the out-most layer, so they still serve a purpose.

So it depends on the base design. If you have any questions about a particular base design and where to place defenses, PM me or reply to this thread again.
    Do you have anything like this for TH 9?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightStranger View Post
    Do you have anything like this for TH 9?
    Not at the moment, but I plan to make one of these for TH9 soon!

As for TH9, I'm gonna expect an anti-AQ core explanation. Great content as always.
    Last edited by Zegaloft; May 9th, 2016 at 05:41 AM.

Looking forward to it.
    IGN: CherryBomb - TH10
    Co-Leader - Bucknation lvl 11 clan #80P0QQLR ⬅⬅⬅