Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful Estates

Post A note about derby and housekeeping

We choose a delayed derby start each week. We have had mixed results but overall, are almost always finishing in the top 3. Our focus on helping each other to complete tasks is what we rely on in order to do this.

Every so often, I post "friendly reminders" to our nh, based on concepts contained in our recruitment ad thread here. In an effort to communicate more clearly with our neighborhood newbies, I will include samples here :

"Just a friendly reminder: If you are needing a break from derby, please opt out before the next derby begins."

"Just a friendly reminder: Our neighborhood values reciprocal helping, clean language, not being a greedy shopper, and polite etiquette (saying please and thank you). "

"Just a friendly reminder: Our nh has a delayed derby start of 4-6 hrs. Our trash team works to trash all tasks under 300+ pts and to build up a full board. This can take up to 8 hours to do. A co-leader will announce when the derby is open."

Hopefully reading this post will help you to get a feel for how our neighborhood functions. I do not want to micro-manage, or get tied up in the drama of managing a derby-crazy-to-the-extreme nh. I want a stress-free, active, similar strategic-playing**, nice group of people to relax with while working together to compete for derby prizes. ��

**Similar strategic playing: I help those completing derby tasks. If you are working on a truck task in derby, but are asking for help to fill a boat, I will help you with your trucks, but I will not help you with your boat. I do not have the resources to help everyone with everything, so I prioritize derby tasks completion for the nh's benefit, rather than helping individuals benefit soley for themselves.

If after reading this, you are amazingly still interested in joining our fabulous neighborhood, please request to join. See you there!
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; September 23rd, 2017 at 06:02 AM.

Post Housekeeping: A Note About Promotions

We are really well balanced for numbers around the world, so if getting to know a large group is daunting for you, chances are, you will first get to know those in a nearby timezone. We have co-leaders in nearly every timezone to help with managing our group's needs. If for any reason you want to speak privately with me, I check my inbox here regularly.

We have had the question of adding an alternative communication media come up from time-to-time, but I prefer to keep our recruitment ad as clear as possible (so that there are no surprises about who we are, what we value, and how we play), and so that I don't spend any more of my personal time on game management.

Housekeeping: A note about status: After a new player joins our nh, I wait until they have played at least one derby, completing all 9 tasks, before promoting them to elder. If a player struggles with derby, asks for more than they give, is not active daily, or is demanding/not polite, they will not progress beyond elder and may be demoted to member status, and eventually, if no improvement is made in these areas (other than daily activity, because logging in a few times per week is acceptable), kicked out. Our neighborhood values are clearly stated in our recruitment ad. I reserve my right to discretion in both promoting and demoting, because not all cases are black/white.
    Co-leader status is given to those who 1. Represent a time-zone area currently not covered easily by other co-leaders; 2. Are active, daily players; 3. Practice our neighborhood values; and 4. Demonstrate leadership capabilities. Co-leaders are demoted at my discretion, but to this point it has been for significant changes in at least one of these 4 areas.
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; February 25th, 2017 at 09:15 AM.

Heard this week in our group: "I love our neighborhood." And, "It is so nice here."

Those who leave our nh are either looking for a more serious derby experience; quicker/harsher consequences for players who aren't measuring up to expectations; or their personal lives are in conflict with active game play.

In regards to derby, our track record speaks for itself: we are almost always placing in the top 3. We enjoy winning, but appreciate horseshoe prizes, and we always achieve all of our horseshoe prizes.

As far as being quick to kick: I prefer a "wait and see" approach. If it is a learning curve issue, we can usually afford to be patient. If it is an attitude problem, then a quick kick is warranted. If players have been given a few chances and offered help, but still are not making good decisions regarding derby or helping the nh, then those players are removed.

For players who leave for personal reasons, our door remains open to them, and we wish them well. ☺

If you have been looking for a nice, friendly, helpful group that is gracious, sweet, and kind - like yourself - you are welcome to join us at our peaceful place on the farm. ☺
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; April 2nd, 2017 at 05:51 PM.

New player

Im new to the game and looking for a home :-) I would like to join your nh . If interested please let me know the next steps . Have a blessed day !!

Thanks for your interest in our neighborhood, Erin! �� I will pm you!

Post It's a beautiful day in our neighborhood...

Won't you be our neighbor? ☺

Helpful, kind, respectful, friendly, polite, .... all of these are highly valued in our neighborhood, and ALL of them rely upon playing the social aspect of the game well. If you do not play a good social game, you will not be with us long. You can still be the delightful, introverted, lovely, quiet person that you are - but you will need to figure out how to demonstrate these values and stay true to yourself. ♡
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; August 17th, 2016 at 04:23 AM.

Talking What sets us apart?

Nothing really. We have players who have been in some very quiet nh's where no one would talk to them. No one would help them. It was everything a nh should not be. We have players who were in hardcore derby squadrons. You know the type, "320's only, 10th is a must, completion of tasks must be done in this order, battle plans, drop down and give me 100, "Fire in the hole!".... I think I just gave myself heartburn thinking about it.

So we aren't quiet, and we aren't militant. We are friendly, we have some quirky members, we laugh and tease a bit, we have some quieter members, we enjoy helping each other and often it is a race to help. We enjoy playing the game for relaxation, social connecting, and we like to do well at the derby.

I read several similar sounding advertisements to ours near daily. I am certain that a lot of really great neighborhoods like ours are out there. We are all looking for the mentally stable, good communicators, helpful, polite, friendly, active and responsible players out there that will fit in well with who we already have in our nh. If this describes you, and if you are searching for a nh filled with like-minded people, please consider joining our peaceful nh.

Spots left for friendly farmers!

I deleted my Utopia in the Wild post, and now I wish I hadn't. Recently we had a revolving newcomer (welcomed in the front door, stayed for a few minutes, then left the nh -- you know the type), who could have used that information to save herself and us from wasting our time. I will never be able to replicate the information shared, but I can say this: Our nh uses the least amount of rules necessary for the smooth running of our relaxed derby and peaceful nh. We do not micro-manage. If you can't motivate yourself to complete all derby tasks, or if you time out on tasks frequently, or if you can't be bothered to be polite or engage in a little conversation, you will not be with us long.

If you aren't put off by our derby strategy (currently in 1st place in our derby run this week, CL for months now), and if you want to be welcomed as a friendly neighbor should be, please join us!

If you value a relaxed derby but still play to win; if you like to help others as much as you like to be helped; if you converse well in English and appreciate and use good etiquette; if you appreciate a family-friendly neighborhood; - we welcome you to join us!
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; November 21st, 2016 at 08:51 AM.

Monday, Monday

The day of changing hoods is here! If you've been wanting to find a new neighborhood that treats you like a friend; where your generosity, kindness, and warmth are reciprocated; where you are appreciated and valued; please consider joining our team. We know that the delayed start can be challenging for some new players to adhere to, and I'll whisper my take on that to you... (I think it's because we live in an age where delayed gratification is rare. The 'entitlement era' has infested many and 'every man/woman is for him/herself', such that some players just can't put the team before themselves.) So, do we kick players out who don't wait? Yes, Jonny and Julie, we do. Because honestly, if we all speak English, and have had the rule explained, understood, and accepted, and then you STILL take the first task, you have just messed up our derby strategy, affecting the entire team and our race, and you deserve to be released to find a better suited nh for you.
    Oh dear, I am afraid I sound a bit dramatic there. Truly we are a very nice nh, but we do have standards one must measure up to for the benefit of all.
    PM me if you want to discuss this further.
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; November 7th, 2016 at 05:40 PM.

Sigh. QUIRK ALERT for the remainder of this post!
    I thought I might try to liven things up by addressing a few controversial topics, up for discussion.
    1. Greedy Shoppers: Every farmer knows one! How do you address this in your neighborhood without sounding like you're whining? Lol I mean, if you list it in your shop, it's up for the buying, right? Except that as leader, I try to keep my shop full for more than just one or two players. Flip side: that greedy shopper is pulling his/her weight in the derby, so really, he/she might really need my shop for completing tasks and restocking. It is a continuing dilemma.
    2. Taking tasks that you need help to complete: Mining? Boats? Trucks? Production needs? We get pretty critical of those who take a task they are completely unprepared for and expect neighborhood help to complete. At least with boats, you can advertise for help, which reminds me...
    3. Completing Boats/Trucks/Trains during derby but not as a specific task: this drains your resources as well as the team's, if you expect them to help. CL derby is very demanding. If you are a taker more than a giver, this will lead to problems. Which reminds me of something else...
    4. Not advertising for help outside of your neighborhood: is draining your team's resources. Just put up some goods for sale in your shop, and advertise for outside help. And when someone is advertising for help in your hood, don't raid their shop and then not help them!
    Full circle.

Thus concludes my vent for today. (Did it work? Any readers? Anyone have a different perspective? Advice? Commiserating players? Anyone?) We all play the game as individuals and the tension between self and team can be very difficult for some to manage. It is easy to become critical of others while blind to our own faults. Grace is key.
    Last edited by SweetCherryPie; January 27th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.