Thread: Why wouldn't SC simply match war opponents using the cup system?

Pro Member

Why wouldn't SC simply match war opponents using the cup system?

Ok, clan war matching has been more and more complicated, and takes more and more time. Why does it has to be so complicated? I say, wouldn't it be easier for SC to simply implement a cup system for matching?
    The system works in this way:
    1) Initially, all clans were given a starting value. For example, mostly th8 clans given 1000 ups, th9 clans given 2000 cups, th10 clans given 3000 cups.
    2) When matching, your clan is only matched to clans with similar cups.
    3) If you win, you gain a few cups. If you lose, you drop a few cups. If you win by larger margin, you might get more cups than if you win by a small margin.

This would easily solve a number of problems:
    1) Eventually, most clans will find team at their similar strength, so they keep 50/50 win lose ratio and thus keeping the cups constant. Therefore, you can always have stronger clans facing the stronger clans, and weaker clans facing the weaker clans.
    2) If the clan is engineered for war, they will eventually facing stronger and stronger opponents, thus to a point that they will not have advantage any more. If the clan uses illegal methods to win, the same happens: they got stronger and stronger opponents, to the point their illegal methods can not help any more. For example, no matter what method you use, you can not make a TH9 clan defeat a TH11 clan, assuming TH11 clan is reasonably active and skilled.
    3) It would be much easier for the clans to have the "bragging rights". Nowadays clans can say "we have a 100 win streak", but it is entirely possible that they just somehow got matched to very weak opponents, so the scores are not comparable. With the cup system, it would be very obvious. If your clan is strong, you should have more cups. Plain and simple.
    4) Matching would also be faster, if not instant. The system only need to check one number. Doubt it would even take 1 millisecond.

We could could different size war into one cup system, or have multiple cup scores based on war size. This would also be a strong incentive for clans to try war sizes that they don't usually do, just to "push" it from the default ones to the more actual ones reflecting their strength.

Centennial Club
    I see some problems with that, the most obvious being that clans don't war with the same composition every war. A clan's members change constantly. Imagine if your TH6 friend wanted to war with your th8-th9 clan. Imagine again your TH8-9 clan bringing some th11s in for free. We are talking about huge imbalances if base strength was not taken into account.
    Last edited by IbarchCollectors; March 7th, 2016 at 12:04 AM.
    I barch collectors

Crab Claw
    Then wars would be as useless as trophies are. War made attacking relevant to the masses when previously this game was only about farming.
    Leader - Night's Watch #2Q9GJPG9
    1400+ War Stars. Spoils of War Completed!
    TH9.75 Level 131
    Night's Watch - Level 10 - 290+ wins

Why would good clans want to win only 55% of their wars? In my opinion, good clans should win more, bad clans less. We don't need this type of balance to make the bad clans feel good. If they do make this type of change I hope they greatly increase the war loot and the exp points earned for the "harder" matches. No way some terrible clan who loses 9 straight should get the same bonus when they finally beat another terrible clan while some good clan who won 30 straight loses because they were faced against another good clan.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Why would good clans want to win only 55% of their wars? In my opinion, good clans should win more, bad clans less. We don't need this type of balance to make the bad clans feel good. If they do make this type of change I hope they greatly increase the war loot and the exp points earned for the "harder" matches. No way some terrible clan who loses 9 straight should get the same bonus when they finally beat another terrible clan while some good clan who won 30 straight loses because they were faced against another good clan.
    So a clan who has won 30 straight wars should get a big bonus the one time they actually face a hard clan and lose?

And yes we do need some type of balance for those clans that have been beat up by the super clans that have 30-100+ consecutive wins in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwp721 View Post
    So a clan who has won 30 straight wars should get a big bonus the one time they actually face a hard clan and lose?

And yes we do need some type of balance for those clans that have been beat up by the super clans that have 30-100+ consecutive wins in a row.
    I don't think any bonus needs to be given. But clans should be recognized for their ability in Clan Wars. As it's currently constructed- win total and record is the only measuring stick. If you want to pit stronger clans against stronger clans, and bad with the bad (which make no mistake about it... parity is one of the goals SC is striving for here)- then you should use something like a badge system to separate them. JV as opposed to Varsity. You can shuffle things around all you want. Nerf this and nerf that. Give weaker clans a respite and let them slap each other around, feel better about themselves. Weight the clan based on how well they perform in wars. But in the end, a spamming or GoWipe clan is still just that. A clan that for one reason or another doesn't achieve success in wars is just that.
    Last edited by cnaf; March 7th, 2016 at 04:50 PM.

Level: 187 | TH10 | IGN: cnaf11

retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jwp721 View Post

No, the increased bonus would be for WINNING because winning a war when matched against a clan that has a long winning streak should count for more than when matched against an average clan.

And no we do not need some type of balance for clans that have been beat up by super clans that have long winning streaks. If your clan isn't very good, it should lose to those good clans. They should get more wins, more exp points and more loot bonus. Are we going to start handing out participation awards now too?

I'm simply saying IF IF IF they do this, then I hope they also increase the loot bonus and exp points the farther you make it with your win streak. That would at least make sense when matching good clan vs. good clan, instead of giving the bad clans the same loot and exp points when they are matching against other bad clans.

Outside your awareness, Inside striking distance
    Because trophies are SOOOOO irrelevant to the composition of the bases/accounts you put in war.