View Poll Results: Would a Derby Gift Catalogue be a good idea?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Some version if this would interest me.

161 97.58%
  • No. Rubbush idea. Not useful in any form.

2 1.21%
  • I don't really understand polls.

1 0.61%
  • I am in the wrong thread

2 1.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: New Derby Gift Catalogue

New Derby Gift Catalogue

If you can't see the poll you may be on "mobile view". Go to the main page of the forums, scroll right down to the base of the page and select " full site".

Proposal: a Derby Gifte Catalogue
    - similar to the gift catalogue on the farm, but the gifts would NOT be random.

****Earn points individually, not linked to team results.

****Points related to individual task points.

****Save points over time to order larger purchases.

N.B. This catalogue would not replace current horseshoe rewards but work in addition to current reward system.

Advantages:

Regardless of hood results, regardless of close races or hood participation, an individual player has a goal to achieve that does not rely on anything but the individual's effort/participation. Want to amble through tasks gently? Want to gallop through tasks? Do it your way, earn personal points as quickly or slowly as suits you without affecting your hood or being reliant on your hood, or being affected by racing against elite hoods.

Small hoods have an extra incentive (currently unable to reach all prizes due to Derby system).

Some people like planks for prizes. Others like topiary pigs. This way, we can set our own goal, and pick and choose our own rewards!

Being in a higher league will still offer higher personal rewards because we can play more tasks in higher leagues, so no incentive to stop playing as a team just to focus on personal reward.

The catalogue can house some catalogue-exclusive or rare items, just as the farm catalogue does, that can be bought with diamonds just as gift cards can be bought with diamonds etc, so a potential added diamond-spend-opportunity for SC.

Players who are finding the Derby too competitive or tiring and find the rewards not attainable, or too random/small to be satisfying, can join in on a more relaxed basis by working towards individual rewards, or may feel more incentivised.

Disadvantages:

None?
    Last edited by pitchfork; April 4th, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
    VOTE HERE for a Derby Gift Catalogue.

Enable diamond confirmation --- but beware: it only works in some places! ❇click for info❇
    Of Chill Reputations ~ join a cool neighbourhood

Critique and brainstorming welcome.

(Pls to enjoy poll autocorrect typo fails)

Idea inspired by this thread: http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...em-Suggestions

..as well as many conversations on the Derby subforum....
    Last edited by pitchfork; February 23rd, 2016 at 06:55 PM.

Enable diamond confirmation --- but beware: it only works in some places! ❇click for info❇

Excellent idea!
    Level 121...because sometimes virtual productivity trumps actual productivity

Millennial Club
    There is a disadvantage.

Derby is teamwork, and this system rewards individual progress. Individual progress is a good thing but to a certain point.

I can see that while waiting for a 320 task, people would hold off their tasks, up to a point where task board gets choked up with 290 / 295 / 300 / 305 tasks, so much that NH's trash rate takes a huge hit, that the team can not generate enough tasks to finish their derby in time.

You might say that they can always trash those tasks, but when they have 270 tasks to do, trashing them is a bad move, specially if the task board is going to be occupied by non-320 tasks. You might have noticed that getting enough 320 point tasks for 30 people involves some serious cash $$$.

This would guarantee that people will rather wait for 320 point town/truck/mine/help/harvest/collect tasks. And no one will be interested in doing 305 point strawberry task, or 300 point wool task. And this is very bad news for crowded neighborhoods.

But I like the idea at it's origin.

Forum Elder
    I like the team side of the derby, but it would be nice to get something, maybe after finishing a task or something...individually.

PITCH you do tempt me to misbehave!! It was very tempting to tick the last option!

I do like the idea but I also understand Myso's POV. I'm not sure how you could 'make it fair' 🤔

I'd like it if we could incorporate the 'placing' prizes as well, ie opt to have 'points' instead of the current (pretty damn dire) rewards.
    ROB MY CHARLATAN PLEASE KIK/MSG ME xx

Level 155 (45 Town)
    KIK: SmallChange2015
    🇬🇧 GMT+1. Trade with existing GC or Farm Tags (No FB)

I think this could be structured so that it didn't detract from the team effort. Speaking from the "opt out" bleachers, something like this would tempt me back into the Derby. The special deco prizes were the only thing that made the stress of non-stop farming to complete tasks worthwhile. Right now, there are only 3 members in our NH out of 12 (I think) who are participating in the Derby. Sometimes there are a couple more, but most of us have pretty much opted out permanently. It would be nice to have some new incentive to participate. (That's not to say that I want the Supercelves to continue to devote the bulk of their creative energy into further development of the Derby.)

One possibility that would appeal to me would be to have the "points"--maybe something like the gift cards we get for the regular catalog--as a horseshoe prize choice. That way, it would be an individual choice for those who wanted to save up for a special deco that appeared in the "catalog". I would be fine with a special "Derby only" catalog that is a permanent collection of prizes that are only available if you participate in the Derby. Right now, I figure that if I want any jumps, the rocking horse, or the horse topiary, I just need to wait until the new Derby prizes appear and the current ones appear in the shop. That's how I finally got my little white wagon with blue forget-me-nots. I worked very hard (all tasks at 290+ points) every week before the introduction of the leagues to get that wagon and never succeeded. No more Derby for me unless a catalog is introduced.
    Last edited by MiniGardener; February 24th, 2016 at 12:22 AM.

Farm Level 120 | Town 38 | Achievements 140/144

Quote Originally Posted by myso View Post
    There is a disadvantage.

Derby is teamwork, and this system rewards individual progress. Individual progress is a good thing but to a certain point.

I can see that while waiting for a 320 task, people would hold off their tasks, up to a point where task board gets choked up with 290 / 295 / 300 / 305 tasks, so much that NH's trash rate takes a huge hit, that the team can not generate enough tasks to finish their derby in time.

You might say that they can always trash those tasks, but when they have 270 tasks to do, trashing them is a bad move, specially if the task board is going to be occupied by non-320 tasks. You might have noticed that getting enough 320 point tasks for 30 people involves some serious cash $$$.

This would guarantee that people will rather wait for 320 point town/truck/mine/help/harvest/collect tasks. And no one will be interested in doing 305 point strawberry task, or 300 point wool task. And this is very bad news for crowded neighborhoods.

But I like the idea at it's origin.
    Thank you for that feedback.

In reply I would argue that hoods play the Derby in different ways and your example may or may not be a widespread issue, hard to tell! But I think, as MiniG says, that sort of "conflict of interests" could be counteracted by the catalogue having a good system of tallying individual points.

For example, rather than every single task point (horseshoe) mattering, the Derby would simply allot the Personal Catalogue Points (PCP) in batches (one PCP for 100-1000 horseshoes,*2 PCPs for 1000- 2000 horseshoes, etc etc) -- basically a personal checkpoint system. ?

Have I described that reasonably clearly? I think I haven't.....

So whatever strategy players are using now ought not to be wildly affected.

We would still be working as a team!

??
    Last edited by pitchfork; February 24th, 2016 at 03:15 PM.

I see what you're doing here...

I like the idea of, on top of working as a team, setting my own goals to earn non-random prizes.
    This may also entice some who are less into playing derby to put in a little more extra into the team to get personal prizes.
    Farm Tag: PQLVCLV8
    Level 113 - Daily Player and Helper!
    Town level 25
    133/144 Achievements
    Happy Helper in NH: FAVORITE SON

Quote Originally Posted by SmallChange View Post
    PITCH you do tempt me to misbehave!! It was very tempting to tick the last option!

I do like the idea but I also understand Myso's POV. I'm not sure how you could 'make it fair' 🤔

I'd like it if we could incorporate the 'placing' prizes as well, ie opt to have 'points' instead of the current (pretty damn dire) rewards.
    Thanks, Smalls.

Well, perhaps it is an option, to include what I am now clumsily calling PCPs as prize choices, but I think it is maybe better all round to Leave Well Enough Alone when it comes to changing anything already in place. Any change made is bound to cause some horror for some section of players. For me, that is why the catalogue would work well: because it does not interfere with any current scheme, and is an extra layer of bonuses for people already receiving lots of bonuses, and a light at the end of the tunnel for those who are currently feeling there is no point in derbying!

?? What do you think?

And I don't know what you mean by "make it fair" because I'm not sure where the "unfair" bit would be?